Any sitters in New York to connect with?

Hi all, I’m on a dream sit in New York until 20th November (applied for another that could take me to 27th November). Having the time of it here - so, so brilliant. Surreal at time that I’m walking the dog and looking onto Manhattan. I’m in Brooklyn Heights. This is my third time here, although the other two were over ten years ago and quickie weekend breaks. I’ve done a lot of the main tourist bits.

I’m a 35 year old female from Edinburgh, sitting for five years now. I’m a music publicist in electronic music. Music is my other passion that sits firmly alongside sitting, although I do wonder if animals will take over as they’re far more grateful than some DJs can be. Interests here lie in diving into secondhand book shops, vintage stores, film and film festivals, dive bars galleries and museums, all the food of all varieties (especially Thai, Chinese, Vietnamese), comedy blasts, drag shows, and clubbing. I’d also love to try a dance class - voguing, wacking, house, African - if any locals on here have suggestions of those.

I like things to be off the beaten track. I’m not one for glitz and glam, shiny spots with an immaculate sheen. Prefer it a bit grimy, weathered, with a story to tell. I love wee pokey shops, corners of curiosities.

I’ve got plenty on the list, although no doubt I’ve many more to add. That’s the beauty of being here for so long. I can take my time. I enjoy my time solo (you have to as a single sitter uh), but would love to link up with others who shares some of the same interests.
Also open to anyone flagging up somewhere or something to add to the list of to dos that are below :slight_smile: Enjoy your Sundays. Door’s open. xx

Smack Mellon Arts
Alamo Drafthouse Cinema
Klomching Gallery
St Ann’s Warehouse
Metograph cinema
Spectacle movie theatre
Nitehawk movie theatre
BKLYN Comedy Club
Village East movie theatre (must see cult film The Room while here)
Pete’s Candy Store for comedy shows in Brooklyn
Birdland Jazz Club
Museum of the Movie Image (exhibitions and movie screenings)
Museum of the City Of New York
Hispanic Society Museum & Library
Basement club for techno at weekends & Mister Sunday event series for house
Date Night at The Met
The Queens World Film Festival
Comedy Cellar
House of Yes for variety shows and drag

5 Likes

You might want to check out the Tenement Museum (scheduled entry) for a glimpse at the immigrant experience of the Lower East Side.

1 Like

For a music lover check out a Sofar Show
https://www.sofarsounds.com/cities/nyc

1 Like