Anyone else had H.O.s contact them off THS to change your review?

I would’ve thought the ‘blind feedback’ THS launched would’ve been the end of the ‘feedback wars’, but it seems not.

After a sit where I only learned some behaviour issues with the pet once I arrived, I declared these issues as part of my review; it was the only aspect of my review that had any negative slant. I felt the behaviour issues needed to be declared because sitters should have a choice as to whether they wish to deal with them or not ahead of the sit, not upon arrival for it.

After the reviews went live, the owner contacted me on the media channel on which we’d conducted our initial interview, demanding I change my review. I didn’t and I blocked them on the media channel; but I’m curious, has anyone else experienced this?

I reported this behaviour to THS as I think it’s aggressive and bullying, but THS did absolutely nothing after I opened a formal complaint, provided a screenshot of the demand to change the review and my reply to the demand.

@BethMe from what you have said you did the right thing to warn prospective future sitters .

Aside from the fact that review can’t be changed by either party anyway , the owner contacting you outside of the platform to pressure you to change the review does appear to be harassment . It’s disappointing that you didn’t get more support from member services over your complaint . Since providing an accurate description of the pets behaviour is required ( in the T&Cs ) and part of the category that owners are rated on

and you have evidence to prove what they have said .

• did you use the words “member dispute” in your complaint to THS ? THS are supposed to properly investigate when you raise a complaint through this process .

If you can take screenshots of the listing that show that the behaviour was not disclosed and send them to THS again … entitle the e-mail “member dispute “

3 Likes

Yes! I just had this happen to me as well and was mildly horrified and completely embarrassed for the HO. I cant imagine responding the way they did. They left me absolutely no instructions or welcome guide (I had to contact them to see what the three animals ate). They listed 2 pets and have 3. I asked if they had any indoor cameras and they confirmed they didn’t but there was a camera on a high shelf in the living room plugged in and recording. I wrote them a wildly generous review, complimenting everything I could think of and mentioning the camera and suggesting a welcome guide for future sitters. Three stars. I didnt bother to report them to TH since they do nothing. The HO contacted me both on TH and Whattsapp after my review. A novel length response asking me to change the review. They never apologized. Went on and on about how the cleaning lady must have plugged it in on accident etc. I informed them reviews cant be changed and told them to contact TH if they had an issue. They harassed me for days, sending three more lengthy texts and threatening to call my licensing board to report me to HIPPA (I do telemedicine) and accusing me of defamation etc. I told him not to contact me again, and they stopped. Again never once apologized. I have 30 plus 5 star reviews and have had a really good experience on this platform. I wouldn’t do anything differently in this situation but it was a shocking response by the HO. Your experience resonates with me and makes me glad I know how to take accountability for myself in this life :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This is terrible harassment!

I have not much faith in reporting either, but this I would have informed THS about.

3 Likes

100% agree. I reported it after the harassment, pictures and text exchange and all. I didnt report the camera because I mentioned it in the review, but I thought at the very least TH should have a document of the threats (for me as well). Seemed more important to warn future sitters than to report them initially, but their response changed that.

3 Likes

None of us should be subjected to that harrassment @hayhay123 and @BethMe. Though very unpleasant, well done for how you both handled the situation. Having categories to rate owners now is going to see some unhappy owners but it’s also a wake-up call to them too to improve their listing/attitude or go without receiving applications.

7 Likes

I hate to hear about the harassment you are experiencing and no one should be subjected to that if an honest review is given.

I’m not surprised by the lack of support from THS. I’m currently going through a few safety concerns with my house sit and Support recommended I attempt to work it out with the homeowner, which is the party who miscommunicated several items about their sit and I have it documented from their posting/Welcome Packet.

I simply didn’t respond to Support given their lackluster answer and when I received their feedback email I gave my direct opinion that the sort of “support” was awful. I am trying to take it with a grain of salt given it is a one in 30 instance but rather unsettling nonetheless. It is causing me to review future listings with a huge microscope.

4 Likes

I think that is key! Really taking the time to find likeminded, good people. In this last sit, I was rushed and wanting to extend my trip, and lowered my own bar in the process. Lesson learned.

3 Likes

You need to report this as a member dispute to THS HQ @hayhay123 - which can now see you did. Bravo! They’ve done the harassing bit so there’s nothing to lose. Hideous people. Should be thrown off the platform :hugs:

4 Likes

I hear you. Support once suggested that I have a chat with an ex sitter who was stalking us!
I’d hoped for their help and to be able to block the loony, but they did the whole “we’re just a matching service” and “we don’t have a blocking function”. They didn’t even remove the sitter from the site.

In addition, I wasn’t allowed to discuss this on the forum. My post was deleted by a heavy handed mod.

1 Like

Appreciating the support from everyone here a lot. I found it hideous as well. Especially because I was thoughtful and generous in writing an honest review. They went so far as to say I must be “confused” because I gave them 3 stars instead of 1 star which “surely” I would have done if I really believed their camera was recording. They asked me why I didn’t just unplug it if it was a problem (I did). I think because TH is so unwilling to involve themselves in ethical violations like this, I try to make it my lesson so I can get something from the experience. But you’re right, it was hideous behavior.

2 Likes

This has gotten much better lately.

3 Likes

Very much so! It’s overwhelmingly better and it makes a huge difference to be able to have these discussions openly. Even if THS aren’t acting on the feedback, at least other sitters and HOs can potentially learn from it.

5 Likes

It has indeed. I still remember the mid-eighties and the forums of that time (mostly Usenet and IRC) —no rules and regulations, just a sort of anarchy. Yet, it was the best order ever, self-policing, with experienced users teaching newcomers. It was the best time ever.

2 Likes

We recently received a review where the host only named of one of us and wrote it like we did the sit solo!- as if the other half did not exist! We’d actually met the host on a pre-sit visit and at the end of the sit and we were both there the whole time (as always!) This felt so wierd and disrespectful!
The written part of the review (about the one of us) was very positive & was 5* overall but they dropped a star for self-sufficiency- (a 1st for us) We could only think of one reason and that was that on arrival (to a blind handover) we had to make direct contact with the host overseas as there were several important issues that needed clarfying. (Another 1st for us as we like to be self sufficient & not bother hosts) We’d asked for the Welcome Guide in advance (which we did not get but were promised for arrival)- but instead they’d just left a few hasty notes which were entirely inadequate for a complex sit.
A couple of other important ‘clarifications’ were needed during the sit but otherwise all went very well and we had a good connection.
So we decided not to mention the lack of WG etc in the review & planned to mention it privately. We wrote them a great review and were therefore disappointed with theirs.
We complained privately to request them to add the other name to acknowledge us both and restore the missing star since it was entirely down them not providing essential info!
They refused to get anything altered (name and *), said they were entitled to write the review exactly as they wished and we had no right to request this. They also said they were sorry we weren’t happy and things hadn’t ended well but reaffirmed how grateful they were to us BOTH!!
Something just didn’t ring true but we have not made further contact and we have not (yet) responded on their review. We might still but commenting at all could just draw unnecessary attention. However their attitude has left a bad feeling…