Application Length

How do you feel about long applications? As a sitter I try to be pretty thorough in my application. I do it so the hosts know I have really thoughtfully read about their needs and requests and in case they don’t take the time to read our profile and review I want to give them a full picture. We tend to apply for very competitive sits. We are reasonably successful but I am always looking to improve.

3 Likes

No thoughts? :pensive::smiley:

1 Like

Well @HostAndSitter you hardly gave people time to respond! There are members from different time zones remember and those in Europe are currently asleep!
I’m a sitter and sometimes think my applications may have been too long, but it all depends on the length of the owner’s listing. I used to mention details in my profile but now say, please have a read of my profile for more information about me. I then write a personalised application which will show the owner I’ve read and absorbed their requirements. Then I’ll suggest they might like to read my reviews, or some of them!
I’m sure owners are all different, some will want shorter applications if they’ve got a busy life, others might enjoy reading longer ones….

5 Likes

@HostAndSitter, I read about the HO pets, the homes, the owners and I look at the responsibilities and ask my questions (for instance, one of my stays is during 4th of July and I realize a lot of fur babies are anxious around fireworks, so I wanted to make sure there were no issues while I’m there) and let them know how I would be a great fit for spending quality time with their furfamily. I try to make each application short but filled with the important information so they don’t get bored and stop reading or move on to a less wordy application!

1 Like

As a sitter on here for eight years, I always write a personalized application mentioning the homeowners and pets’ names and say that we have so many reviews as indicated in our profile and why we are interested in their sit. If it’s a local sit, I’ll say we can meet up, or if not a local sit, we can video chat (which I personally hate), much prefer an old fashioned phone call - that’s about it!

4 Likes

I think sometimes it’s a generational thing. Gen Z is used to short communications. The older a sitter/owner gets, the more wordy the applications tend to be? I prefer lots of info, right up front.

3 Likes

I noticed after awhile that the longer my initial application was, the more confirmed sits I was getting. Out of the sits I’ve confirmed since applying, over 50% sent over the confirmations without a phone/video interview. I thought they would get tired of reading so much but maybe I’m wrong.

4 Likes

As a home owner I would prefer shorter but relevant applications. The way @Smiley describes her approach would work for me. Regardless of how perfect the application sounds I would never accept a sitter without at least a phone conversation and find it incredulous that people do! Different strokes for different folks I guess……

1 Like

My application is looong - but my profile info is a bit thin on the ground. - it seems to work for for us

2 Likes

I’m the same as @Globetrotter - my application touches the main points about us as sitters, why we’re applying to their specific sit and offer further contact opportunities. I used to be a HO and was surprised to see sitters applying with a one-liner: ‘please see my profile’ - made me do all the work! No, write me a nice introduction, please!

3 Likes

Our applications are long. We sit as a family of 3 or 4 (husband has less holiday) so there are 4 of us to introduce and say something about. It seems to work for us!

1 Like

My applications are personalised and generally long, especially if it’s for an international sit.

1 Like

I tend to write longer applications and always make them personalised. It depends though. If someone lives very locally, I sometimes write a shorter message and suggest meeting up.

My app is usually three short paragraphs, personalized, and I invite them to look at my profile to learn more about me. I also include my number in case they want to follow up with text message or call and invite them to do so.

1 Like

Newbie here.
Very happy to have 2 confirmed sits.
I am the only applicant for a sit in August, but they haven’t replied.
Is this usual?
I thought it would be nice to have an acknowledgement? They have read my message.

@MarieHuggins
Yes, it is common. Lots of people don’t reply or take a long time to do so.

1 Like

Oh hmmm, good question. I’m still new to the site, but from the HO perspective, I am really appreciating a medium-short but personalized application. The personalization is more important to me than the length, because I will look at their profiles to get more information. It really helps if they mention my pets, because that tells me they’ve actually read my listing and aren’t just applying for the location. That said, I’m sure everyone is different, and if I had only 1 or 2 applicants to review, I might appreciate a longer message.

1 Like

Relax :slightly_smiling_face: I was just promoting the convo by adding a comment. When a thread shows it has a comment it’s more intriguing to other people. See, it sparked discussion :blush:

Interesting. I specifically do not ask questions in my application. I want the hosts to feel confident I can manage. Questions can come later.

2 Likes

I don’t like the video chats either but they’re very important for some people. We’ve been on wonderful sits where we have never spoken to, seen nor met the hosts.

2 Likes