Application review etiquette and advice

Oh interesting, that would explain the 6th

You are right about that @DeeKay as it was clarified I think by Ben in his product update on the 5 application pause.

1 Like

Sometimes I will state in my application something like this: “We are actively pursuing a Sit in your area, so a prompt response would be appreciated.” I put it at the very end of my personalized application. There have been times when another Sit came through, and I removed my application from the slower Owner. We are all just rolling the dice!

3 Likes

This is great information. I have worried in the past about taking too long after starting an application for a sit in a great location. Now I will relax a little and take my time composing my application since I try to tailor it specifically for each sit.

I have found on a couple of occasions recently the HOs have accepted maybe the first or second application they’ve received before waiting for a third application. Both parties messaged me to say ‘sorry’ but they had already chosen someone, which leaves me wondering if they would have chosen me if I had been quicker of the mark. I had replied maybe 2 hours after seeing these new sits on the app.

Just so long as you have ticked the dates first then write your application at the same time, you should be right @mam1996t.

1 Like

As a new THS HO, all of this information is truly valuable. Thank you for sharing!

1 Like

Hi @wavesnred
A very warm welcome to the forum and I am so pleased you have found the information on this thread useful.

I see you dates are live on your listing, so do share a link to your listing on your forum profile for a bit of extra exposure. But the main website is where ALL our members will see your opportunity and be able to apply and message you.

If you ever find yourself searching for answers to a particular question, you can use the magnifying glass in the top right of this window to search the forum. There’s a good chance if you have the question, someone else had the same question and posted about it.

Best Wishes
Therese

4 Likes

Hello, I am new to this but am beginning to think I may not find anyone. I had an application but couldn’t respond till the following day, which was then too late :confused:. A few people saved my listing but didn’t apply,
I thought I’d then contact them but both were then booked up. Is it unusual not to find a sitter? What are peoples advice and experiences please

Maybe link your posting to the forum you will receive wonderful advice from other members and admin on how to entice sitters to your sit.

The process is slightly different for owners and sitters.

Note - We would recommend you do this on the desktop version as it’s easier to manage unless you are very adept at using smart devices :slight_smile:

For Sitters:

1. Go to the main TrustedHousesitters website and LOGIN to the DASHBOARD. Here you can PREVIEW your profile (green block) and copy (Ctrl + C) the URL in the browser bar, ready to paste it into your forum profile. It will look something like this:
  2. Go to the FORUM and CLICK on your USER ICON in the top right corner - this may be a photo if you’ve uploaded one, or a letter in a circle. Then CLICK on the “head and shoulders” icon and from the drop down menu, select PREFERENCES.

1. On the left of the screen you will see a further list. Select PROFILE to open up a screen that will show your PROFILE text and other information. You can add a link in the text section and/or you can scroll down to a box labelled WEB SITE.
  2. Paste the URL you copied earlier (CTRL + V) into this box. If you’ve lost the URL, don’t worry, just go back to your TrustedHousesitters dashboard and copy it again.
  3. Once you’ve added this link, don’t forget to scroll to the bottom of the screen and select the SAVE CHANGES green button.

When someone saves my listing shortly after I post dates I take it to mean that they like my listing but can’t do my current dates, so I wouldn’t try to reach out and invite them immediately. You should try contacting other sitters in your area who haven’t yet saved your listing!

3 Likes

Thanks. I contacted people in the area, discovered you can look at their availability, none available, maybe school holidays issue

Were you only looking for explicitly available sitters? From what I understand, it’s pretty cumbersome to update a sitter calendar so most don’t do it. So I don’t bother looking for the available “green” dates, I just check to make sure the dates aren’t struck out. If you filter in the sitter search for your dates, it will automatically remove those sitters who are explicitly unavailable but keep everyone else.

I will say that the inaccurate calendars go both ways, so not all sitters will strike out dates when they’re not available. Dates will be struck if they book a sit through THS, but they could still otherwise be busy. I have had to reach out to many (maybe 20?) the last time I was looking for a sitter before I found one who was available and interested.

Ok thanks. Perhaps I’ll try some more then

@adelia Sitters aren’t actually able to update their calendar with dates they are unavailable. The calendar only allows them to input dates they are available.

1 Like

@sunsetter A very warm welcome to TrustedHousesitters and to the community forum!

As @ACLRJM mentioned it can be really helpful for others to view your THS home listing so they can give some helpful tips and advice, so if you need me to add the listing link to your forum profile just let me know. :slight_smile:

I didn’t know that! It seems like such an oversight that sitters can’t do that. So the calendar situation is even worse than I thought!

1 Like

Yes please can you add the link thank you

Regards Daphne

@sunsetter Thank you, Daphne,

That has all been added for you now and if you or other members click on your user name they will see your listing link there.

You can now receive the feedback and help requested.

Anything else let me know :slight_smile:

Hi @sunsetter. I have looked at your listing and what I do suggest is outlining in more detail responsibilities associated with Dylan. Sitters want to know exactly how long his two daily walks are; how long he can be left alone; is the garden area secure; feeding instructions (I know you say you will leave instructions but if it turned out he gets fed at lunchtime, for example, this could affect who applies); does he walk off lead; obey commands; where does he sleep etc.
Remove your dates, then make these updates and any others that sitters suggest, THEN add your dates again and re-list. This should make your listing New which is what you want to happen.
I thought that seagull was going to get me on the shower wall!!
Good Luck!

2 Likes