Applying for more than one sit?

Hi Everyone, I’m wondering what the etiquette is once I have applied for a sit and am waiting for a response? Do I wait to see if my application has been accepted and only apply for another sit if that application is declined? Or is it acceptable to put more than one application in for the same dates and then explain I can no longer do a sit if more than one owner accepts?

Strike while the iron is hot!! It’s like fishing, you cast your net nice and wide until something gets caught in it.
Given the sometimes slow or inexistent responses from HO’s you cannot depend on them to plan your next move.

3 Likes

Welcome @Zigzagtothebeach
The problem in waiting for a HO to respond is some never do or if the sit is for some date in future you may be waiting weeks for a response.
I strongly suggest you apply for any and all sits that interest you. If you get offered a sit you can simply withdraw any other applications for the same time period and send a quick note saying sorry got another confirmed sit now note.

3 Likes

Definitely put in for as many as seem the right fit, don’t wait on one at a time… as others have said, the HO’s are weeding folks for the same out of multiple HS’s usually, some are sporadic in their contact, some never bother. Folks on either end are looking for good matches and dealing with others who aren’t reliable or quick in responding…

…so put out to any/all that seem like you and the HO might be a match. As long as there is fast and clear communication on both ends people will find out who are right for each other and then let the other’s know.

It’s perfectly polite for both HS’s and HO’s to be looking at more than one option as long as everyone is good at getting back to each other if or when statuses change!

3 Likes

Apply early, apply often is the rule I follow. Until the sit has been agreed in the system it’s not a given (and sometimes not even then).
Owners can takes weeks or months to follow up so apply to a dozen clashing sits if you want and take the one that gets offered.

2 Likes

This question has been asked and answered on multiple threads. Here’s one: Sitters applying for multiple sits at the same time

Regarding the ettiquette: See the process through. I wouldn’t mention the other sits unless a homeowner is taking a lot of time. After chatting face to face online with a HO, if the sit is offered to you and you feel comfortable take Let the other HOs know you are no longer available, by courteously writing them letting them know you need to withdraw your application but would love to sit for them another time. Then withdraw your application.

2 Likes

The system does not notify owners that an applicant is no longer available. It’s up to the sitter to withdraw their pending application(s).

3 Likes

As a HO I believe we have a responsibility to respond as promptly as possible and to each applicant.

3 Likes

I agree but, sadly, not all home owners are as diligent as you

1 Like

Thanks for the responses everyone :grin: I’m off to apply for a few more sits!

5 Likes