Are our expectations unrealistic?

100% agree about this. If it’s a one-month sit, asking the homeowner to help find alternative arrangements for 3 days for a conference is in line with the TH values of the reciprocity

If you’re getting the sit through THS, you’re not allowed to charge so I don’t understand your comment.

1 Like

I don’t think taking a 3 week sit and then asking for cover for 3 days is fair really. By all means ask, but if it is going to be problematic, then the homeowner deserves to see applications from sitters who can cover the whole sit.

6 Likes

Totally agree. You either commit to a sit for the whole period or you don’t apply. I can see no reason why a HO should be expected to go to the trouble of finding neighbours or other carers for part of the period - the whole point of having a house sitter is to provide continuity for the pets in familiar surroundings and ensure the home is occupied and looked after as well.

6 Likes

@KAT1 I would just say that we ask for our sitters to have a car. This is for the reason that something bad might happen and they had to transport my dog(s) to the vet or vet hospital. Waiting for a taxi would be unacceptable to me.

I understand that others have responded that it maybe shouldn’t be a deal breaker. I look at it from the perspective that there are many really great sitters with all kinds of lives and circumstances. Finding a sitter for your needs (& theirs) can take time but keep at it and I bet they’ll show up sooner than later. Best wishes!

4 Likes

Your listing looks great and I love your sense of humour with the captions on the pet photos. We would jump at this if we weren’t already booked :+1::heart: You we’re quite right to reject all 3 applicants - their behaviour would be huge red flags if I were a homeowner. THS is a great platform once you get the hang of it and it sounds as though your excellent judgement has already stood you in good stead. Take heart, I’m sure the perfect sitter will present themselves very soon and you will recognise them immediately :heart_eyes_cat:

3 Likes

Total irresponsible sitters. Hope you reported to THS admin.

2 Likes

I think a car would be necessary in many place. I live in Australia and most places here you would definitely need a car even to buy a few groceries, unless you are right in the middle of a city. We are very spread out here. As for a random.BF … no.

2 Likes

Kati do you mind me asking where you are? Im an ex Qld and will be looking for house sits in a year or so for future reference. And have a car.

1 Like

@Berna yes it has been reported and Member Services are taking the matter up with the sitter.

Aloha,

First, I want to say your requirements are NOT unreasonable or unrealistic. I have the same requirement for my listing. There is no way I want my sitters using a bike to try to transport my pet to the vet in an emergency.

The first time I posted my listing I got loads of applicants that just weren’t suitable for one reason or another- no car, could only do part of the time, had kids, was a single person (we specifically said we wanted a couple). All of these applicants who didn’t meet our written needs were demonstrating by applying that they either didn’t read the listing or that they don’t care what we think is best for our home and our pets. To me, that’s a red flag. How can I trust someone with my home and beloved pets if they are already disregarding what I’m asking for in their application?

What I have noticed is that it has been easier to get quality sitters by posting my listing months (4-6) in advance. When I have posted 1-2 months prior to the sit I get less applicants that are suitable and more nonsense applicants. I suspect this is because there are SO many listings for sitters closer to the sit. I also suspect more organized, conscientious sitters tend to secure sits farther in advance. I have nothing to back that up, but it’s my theory.

So, next time, maybe try posting your listing further in advance of your trip. Wishing you all the best!

4 Likes

Curious on why the restriction on couples? Asking as a single sitter.

2 Likes

That’s a very valid question- thanks for asking :slightly_smiling_face:. The sit is very long (months), and was during hurricane season. We occasionally get hurricane warnings. If that happens all outdoor furniture needs moved and it requires two people (we disclosed this possibility on the listing). Also, we live in an area where people get injured routinely while visiting (my perspective is probably warped working in healthcare, but I see it on a daily basis) and since it’s such a long sit we wanted to double the chances that should a sitter become injured (broken ankle or whatever) we’d still have one sitter able to care for the pets. If it was a short sit I don’t think it would be an issue, but in this case we felt it was the best option. Hope that helps clarify.

2 Likes

Thanks for that. I applied for a sit a while back and in my application explained that although they specified a couple, I thought I was a good candidate so applied anyway. They chose me and it went great. They thought one person would get lonely. :blush:

3 Likes

That makes sense, and I’m glad you got the sit! I think as long as sitters address it in the application it shows that they read the listing, and have considered it. For instance: “I saw you asked for x in your listing but x is why I think I might be a good fit”. What was frustrating for me was applications that were not at all what I had said I was looking for and no explanation at all why they thought they were suitable. I suspect many of them didn’t read the listing.

4 Likes

Might be the five application cutoff. I act quickly but always read the whole post and consider travel, etc. Sounds like some don’t.

2 Likes

Hi KATI - We have the home-owner/sitter membership. As home-owners, we always make sure to leave cash for “incidentals” that might result in unplanned expenses - but this isn’t meant to be a payment for sitting. It is our understanding that at THS, the ‘compensation’ is being able to stay at the house at no charge. Lodging costs are a big deal for travelers, and to have the opportunity to stay somewhere ‘for free’ is a huge benefit! (Especially if it includes a fur-baby or two!) As sitters ourselves, we would never dream of asking for any sort of monetary compensation, even for a long sit.

We would also never ask a homeowner to allow someone else in their house, although we have had sitters make this request of us before. It is always a bit awkward when this happens. As mentioned by others, I don’t think the THS insurance would cover the ‘guests’, and a random non-member certainly would not have been background checked by THS. It just doesn’t seem like a good idea, for a lot of reasons.

As for having a car for the sit, we have run into this, too. We have found that our sitters are very much individuals regarding how much walking they feel is do-able. We might not want to walk a couple miles to get milk, but that is completely acceptable to some people. I agree with you that it is almost impossible to explore ‘the good stuff’ without a vehicle - or at least access to a bicycle or something. But some people don’t mind. BTW, welcome!!

3 Likes

Hi @Deborah. We are just outside of Mackay. We (all going well) will be looking at going away again next year so may time out with your plans also

Sounds great. I lived in Hervey Bay for many years and often went to that area.

if you ever want to get in touch and the stars align . Kind Regards, Deborah

Admin Notice: Hi. @Deborah your post has been edited to remove personal details Please use the Direct Message Option To exchange personal contact details.

1 Like

As a HO here, just want to add my two cents on providing a car for sitters.
I live in a high traffic city with crazy drivers, but public transportation is great and reliable so providing a car seems redudant and perhaps not the best idea. However, if I lived in a remote area where you would need to drive to places like the grocery store, I’d be more lineant in loaning a car but I also need to make sure I can trust that person and after being burned a couple of times with sitters on here, I have to be honest and say that my trust has been tampered with now, so I would be super careful about who I agree to loan my car to while they stay at my home. I’ve never had to loan a car, so it’s not even about that just about caring for the pet or causing damage to my appliances because they were not communicative (asked questions).

But if I were in the position where a car would be necessary, I’d made sure they show me a license in person when they arrive, and ask how long they’ve been driving for, etc.
Another thing to keep in mind here in the U.S. that some car insurances can be a real pain if something were to happen even if it isn’t the sitter’s fault, so just things to consider as to why some HO’s might not be open to that idea of loaning a car.

1 Like