Book Club: June 20th Meet the author of Dirty Wars & Polished Silver

I use to be an avid reader, yet the past few yesrs that seems to have dissipated. My only thougths is social media and being online has caused me to lose focus on reading actual books. Since I arrived here in Vermont for a month long of (2) different sits I’ve gone into some book stores with hopes of that hobby being reignited. There’s a lot of good stuff out there and I invite suggestions :open_book: :closed_book: :blue_book:

I see you’ve actually decided, i might wait until the next one and check back in. I’ll be on a sit in Monterey California ( PST) from midApril to early June and plan on doing a lot of whale watching once the kitty has his needs met so there’s still a possibility of a book. Nonetheless a great idea.

I’m in, in theory! Even if I can’t come this time, I’d love to know about future books / dates.

I love book groups. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I’ll get the book and start reading!

The 2pm Eastern time slot (or later) is better for me, but no need to plan around me!

1 Like

I just wanted to chime in and say @Karen_E I think this is a fantastic idea and if I weren’t already apart of a book club I would like to join even though I have very very little time to read these days other than here on the forum :smiling_face_with_tear: who ever would have thought life with a toddler would be dull :crazy_face:?

1 Like

Thanks @mars for the book suggestion of “Dirty Wars and Polished Silver.” And thanks @Karen_E for organizing.

I found a cheap used copy on eBay ($5); it should arrive next week, giving me plenty of time for the book club!

FYI, for used books I also really like AbeBooks:

1 Like

@geoff.hom I buy from AbeBooks too, they are really good for finding those hard to find books! :books:

3 Likes

@geoff.hom @mars @Karen_E I am hoping to pick up a copy in Oxford… I think I have tracked down a bookstore that has a copy… unfortunately I cannot order by post as it won’t arrive for me in time before we head off again! :crossed_fingers:t2::slightly_smiling_face:

I’ve already started the book, and @mars you’re right, it is hard to put down!

I think we’ve given everyone enough time to chime in on timing preferences, etc. So let’s plan on 2pm Eastern Daylight Time on whichever of the following days the author’s available: (Tues) April 25th, (Thurs) April 27th, (Tues) May 2nd or (Thurs) May 4th.

I’ll see if I can reach the author. Have any of you contacted authors in the past (I haven’t)? If so, do you have any tips?

I’ll let you know what I hear.

Thank you @Karen_E

1 Like

@Karen_E , I can do 25 or 27 April or 2 May.

I’ve reached out to Lynda. :hand_with_index_finger_and_thumb_crossed: (fingers crossed that) she can join us!

2 Likes

Hey hey
Scanned these posts.
Interested in a book club.
Will be book dependant for me.

How will future books be suggested? And dates set?
Tx!

Hi @HelloOutThere. I’m glad to hear of your interest. We’re just getting started and haven’t set a schedule for subsequent gatherings or how to select books yet. As I stated at the top of this thread, I haven’t been reading as much as I’d like lately, so I probably won’t be the main person suggesting titles. :rofl: Time will tell!

Once I hear back from Lynda (the author of Dirty Wars) we’ll set the date for our first gathering. Are you available the on the Tuesday or Thursday of the last week of April or the first week of May? We’re targeting 2pm Eastern Daylight Time but again, the day and time we actually meet may be partially dependent on the author’s availability.

I hope you can join us!

1 Like

@sledgejoyce, @Samox24, @mars, @SoloTraveler, @andrealovesanimals, @Catgoddess_99, @luckycat, @Kelly, @geoff.hom, @HelloOutThere

SHE SAID YES! :smiley:

Lynda will join us at 2pm Eastern Daylight Time on Tues, 2 May. Please block your calendars if you’d like to join, and I’ll DM you and anyone else who expresses interest in joining us with a link for the video meeting over the coming days.

Here’s what she asks we do:

1. I ask that everyone will have already read the book.
  2. I will give a little spiel about the sausage-making that went into its creation, then open up the floor–as it were–to questions.

So the focus of the meeting will be on Lynda and anything we’d like to ask her about her experiences or the book. If we decide to discuss the book amongst ourselves, we’ll need to do that another time.

The meeting will be up to 1 hour long.

YAY!! I hope you’ll be able to join us!

2 Likes

@Karen_E That’s great thank… I just need the book now… fingers crossed for my copy tomorrow :crossed_fingers:t2::slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

:crossed_fingers: (fingers crossed, and toes too!)

1 Like

I will be on a plane to Costa Rica, for a pickleball vacation (not a sit) on May 2, so I will not be able to join. If there’s any way to tape it, I’d love to be able to view the zoom later. That’s so exciting to have the author and I’m very sorry to miss it.

4 Likes

I am also interested for future meetings but it will be book dependent.

I am also an author myself and would like to know how you might choose the book list as I am keen to connect with book clubs.

2 Likes

@Karen_E New member here! Please sign me up for the May 2nd Zoom Book Club meeting on “Dirty Wars and Polished Silver”. Thanks!

1 Like

Is it too late to join? I’ll get the book, start reading, and be prepared for the meeting. Is there anything else I need to do? I’m so excited!

1 Like