Book Club: June 20th Meet the author of Dirty Wars & Polished Silver

That’s great @CanadianLynda! We’d love to have you join us. Please block your calendar for 2-3pm on May 2, and start this page-turner. I’ll send the Google Meet link to everyone when we get closer to the date.

@sledgejoyce a pickleball vacation? Are you going for a tournament?

Yes, it’s a trip (64 people going; I’m going with a friend since my husband wouldn’t go) with the #1 male pickleball player (Ben Johns, in case anyone follows pickleball) in the US and he and other coaches teach us pickleball techniques. I’m not a very good player, certainly never to be tournament material, but I love the game and would like to get better and also have a good time in Costa Rica!

4 Likes

Wow @sledgejoyce! It sounds like a great trip! We’ll miss you this time but look forward to your joining us in the future.

Hi. I would be interested in participating too. I started the book today. I am in Daylight Savings time zone too. I haven’t google meet before but I will study up on it. Thanks

2 Likes

Wonderful @MaggieUU. I’m glad you’ll be able to join us!

Hi @FluffyFriends. I’m glad to hear you’re interested in joining us down the road. I’ll add you to the list of people I tag when I post the details of our next book and meeting date.

You’re an author! That’s great! I’m always impressed with people who can write well. In terms of how book clubs contact authors, I found the author’s website or page on her publisher’s website and used the “contact me” link to email her.

The more difficult part, I’m guessing, is getting the word out that you’re available to chat with book clubs. Can you include something at the end of your books indicating you’d be willing to talk with book clubs? I’ve seen that done before. Also, is there a place in Goodreads, like Ask the Author, you could use to get in front of readers? Here’s another source of ideas of ways to connect with book clubs.

I hope some of these ideas help.

2 Likes

Right now I’m in Norway and it will be very difficult to get the book.
I hope to join the next meeting though.

Thanks for letting us know @andrealovesanimals. Enjoy Norway, and we’ll keep you posted on our next book and meetup.

1 Like

Thanks again for organizing this, @Karen_E! Also, I’ll test the @here tag now. Apparently it will tag the first 10 people on this topic.

It’s one week to our first book club meeting, with the author of “Dirty Wars and Polished Silver,” Lynda Schuster!

Karen sent a group PM/DM to a few people. I think those planning to make the 1st meeting. If you didn’t get it but want to be included, you can let her know.

I just finished chapter 3, but I’ll read a chapter a day to finish on time. I want to be prepared with my questions! It’s already been an incredible journey. The writing is really colorful.

For those who devour books, it’s not too late to join us! The book is available online, e.g.:

• Kindle:
  • Apple Books:

More info on Lynda Schuster: About — Lynda Schuster

1 Like

In case anyone is still interested in our first book and meeting, the date has been pushed back a week to May 9. So there’s still time! Especially if you followed my intimations last post and already started. :wink:

And as long as you’re willing to read on a tablet, Kindle, etc. you can find the book wherever you are (e.g., @andrealovesanimals)!

If you didn’t get the PMs from @Karen_E, just ask her to add you to the group texts.

New Book Club Date (2)

Hi everyone. Lynda’s travel dates have changed, so this discussion will now take place on June 20th at 2pm Eastern Daylight Time. This is a great opportunity for anyone who wasn’t able to join us for our earlier dates or who hadn’t had time to read the book to join us.

Lynda has lived an amazing life, and we’re thrilled to have her join us for, as she says “…a little spiel about the sausage-making that went into its creation” and questions.

I hope you take the opportunity to join us for what’s sure to be a lively discussion.

1 Like

Hi everyone, that might give me a chance to join. I’ll see if I can get a copy of the book. E-books are out of the question for me, it needs to be a printed one :wink:

@andrealovesanimals that would be great. This book is not available as an ebook anyway.

I read it on Kindle, in case anyone wants to pick it up there.

1 Like

It’s also available on Apple Books on iPhone, iPad etc

1 Like

@Samox24, @mars, @geoff.hom, @MaggieUU, @sledgejoyce, @andrealovesanimals, @FluffyFriends, @CanadianLynda, @Angela_L I hope you’ll be able to join us on the 20th.

Please RSVP either way, as we may have to cancel if we don’t get enough confirmed participants. It’s fine if you haven’t read/finished the book before the meeting. Thanks for your interest. I’m looking forward to a really interesting conversation!

3 Likes

Hi @Karen_E I’m still a yes :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I just accepted a sit that will have me on the highway during the meeting. I hope it goes ahead for you all

1 Like