Booking a trip before I get a sitter

New to getting a sitter! I have 2 dogs and recently moved across the country (USA). In the past, my parents watched our dogs. We want to book our trips for 2024 soon, but being that we don’t know anyone here, we are looking at joining THS to get sitters. We will likely take 2 or 3 international trips, each about 2 weeks at a time. Our first trip wouldn’t be until late spring/early summer.

One of these dogs is a senior and needs to be let out more often than the 2 year old. Not saying can’t be left alone, as we leave him alone and go do stuff, but he usually needs to be let out every 3 hours or so. And sometimes he needs to be let out in the middle of the night. I WFH so I am here with the dogs all day long. I had to take a work trip back in November and my husband (who has to work in an office) was away 8 hours each day and the senior did not have any accidents. But it does happen, esp. if the dog gets a little too carried away drinking water.

Additionally, we live in an apartment and we do have excellent access to public transportation. There is a metro station across the street from us (it literally takes 2 minutes to walk to!) and there are a lot of restaurants and a grocery store at the ground floor of the apartment). This is the northern virigina/washington DC area, so it is a touristy area with lots to offer.

For sleeping arrangements, how does this work? We have a bed, but we also bought a brand new air mattress with new linens. Where does the sitter sleep? Do you typically sleep in the owners bed? Or are you okay with an air mattress? (This is a 2 bed 2 bath apartment) but we do not have an extra actual bed.

Would these be issues to you? Do you think I’d have any trouble getting a sitter in this area? I just worry so much that no one would want to do this because we are not in DC “proper” (but again, have direct metro access that takes you to the tourist places – this is a built-up urban-y area just outside of DC and you don’t need a car. I hardly drive anymore myself!). I’d like to book our trips before airfare gets insane but I’m just so new to all this that it makes me so nervous!!

Thanks!

Book your trips and get backup for coverage in place, from a paid service, local sitters, whatever. You can post tentative dates or date ranges now, but communicate in your post and to your applicants that dates are not yet finalized.

Tell people they can use your bed but you have an air mattress if they’re more comfortable with that. I personally wouldn’t take a sit where I was expected to sleep on an air mattress for more than a night or so, but everyone is different.

If you’re in the DMV I’m sure you’ll be able to find folks, as it’s a popular destination in summer. I would suggest getting pee pads / diapers and/or offering some supplementary coverage so sitters could be out for the entire day. Three hours really isn’t enough to go into DC, do anything, and get back for the dogs --especially given the state of WMATA.

Then again, you may find someone who’s relocating, working remotely, going to school, and for whom sightseeing isn’t a priority.

Good luck!

We would never apply to a sit where the expectation is for us to sleep on an air mattress when there is a perfectly good bed. It gives off bad vibes like you think sitters are not people worthy of even a decent place to rest :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

Sorry ok but really you need to consider your sitters as a friend who is helping you out to do a favour and make them feel as comfortable and welcome as possible. THS is an exchange based platform so what you offer is of equal value to the cost of a full time sitter.

1 Like

It’s all possible @LabMommmmm but you have to put yourself in the shoes of the sitter. What is in the exchange for the free pet and home care they will give you? Personally the 3 hour window with the older dog is fine, we WFH too so that could work okay. An air mattress is a deal breaker though for most sitters, unless it’s a super fly one (which do exist). You need to be fully honest in your listing and see who applies. We’ve often slept in the owners bedroom in smaller apartments or ones with only one really good bed. You need to consider them too. Good photos and lots of them, (bedroom, bathroom, living space, office etc as well as pet pics) plus clear responsibilities, great comms and a fair exchange and you’re off. What do you have to lose? The annual membership is less than two nights paid sitter and you have time on your side. Best of luck :crossed_fingers:t3:

I’m a former Arlington resident and come back on occasion, sometimes for in-person work events. I suggest you engage a dog walking service now so that you’re all set for when a sitter is there. As pitcherplant said, 3 hours is not enough time. The sitter, who’s saving you the cost and effort of finding paid care or boarding, should not be expected to be confined all day and evening to your home.
I wouldn’t take a sit to sleep on an air mattress, and from experience, am wary of random guest beds that may have been a child’s and/or is really old and worn out. My back/neck have suffered.

1 Like

Your benefit is: free pet care (and house care).

But assuming that the petsitter has his own house/ appartment.

Could you tell what the benefits for the sitter are if they travel to your appartment in stead of staying in their own home?

The sitter can definitely use the master bed – I’d put fresh sheets on before we leave. I just wasn’t sure if this is common - I guess I just thought some sitters might think it’s awkward? IDK - I’ve never house sit myself or used a service like this before, so we do have the air mattress (it’s actually really nice - I used the same brand of one to sleep on for 6 months(!!!) myself (long story lol) if someone preferred that.

Like I said, the senior dog CAN be left alone - my husband had no choice but to leave him alone while he was at work for 8+ hours while I was away and the dog had no accidents. We typically confine him to the kitchen so that if there are any accidents, it’s easy to clean up (wood floors) but we could get diapers too. I didn’t think of that.

1 Like

This is pretty common, especially in one-bedroom apartments. Quite often, hosts offer their bedroom (bigger bed) even when there is a guest room (smaller bed).

I am one of those sitters, so I’d rather sleep on an air mattress in a guest room than your super comfortable bed :slight_smile:

Hi @LabMommmmm and welcome to the forum! I, too, live in the urban-y Washington DC area, and I’d be happy to give you my take on it. I’m not as close to public transport as you are, so you have that advantage. I am a homeowner as well as a sitter, so can perhaps give you insight on “both sides”. My mantra is “build it and they will come”, so make your plans first, and then post your listing. The key is to make sure your listing is very open, communicative, friendly, warm, etc, to encourage the right person to apply. I will private message you here on the forum. Best of luck, you’re going to love it!

1 Like
  • I think if your senior dog needs to be let out every 3 hours, it would be good to have an option available where a walker comes to help with the let outs, but for many people 3 hours may not be that bad…it’s a fairly narrow window though. Our first sit was for a senior dog that could maybe wait 3-4 hours and it was just enough time for us to attend the event we came to that city for. We were spending the majority of our sit at the HO’s home doing nothing (it was lovely lol), so it worked out for us.
  • I would not take a sit that required me to sleep on an air mattress. If it were there optionally, great, but I prefer a proper bed especially for a longer sit…a night or so at the start/finish if we have an overlap and it’s a small place, I totally get, but it feels odd to me to be told I’m not allowed to use a bed that’s there…give them the options
  • Location sounds fine so long as there’s easy access to get into the city and/or groceries, etc. nearby without a vehicle.

Ultimately, post your dates and you should see very clearly if your listing is appealing or not based on applicants. Just make sure you vet them well and advertise your home in the best possible light, i.e. good pictures, clear and descriptive copy of exactly what you’re looking for, etc.

If you add your listing link and ask for feedback on here, you’ll definitely get it. X

Even in a fairly great location, there could be issues getting sitters who won’t be able to sleep through the night due to accidents. Because of the need for the dog to go out so often, you’d most likely get a sitter who maybe works from home and doesn’t need to be out a lot to site see, or maybe a couple who could take turns running back for a quick walk. But remember sitters sit for free and for accomodations and no one would like being woken up in the middle of the night because the dog can’t wait.

I’m going to suggest something based on my own experience with a senior dog. Our dog had cushings. We went through a cycle of medication that almost killed her, and then just some melotonin, good wet food, and plenty of water. She did fine. We had to train her to use pee pads and that it was okay. This happened because no matter how much we took her out, it wouldn’t have been enough. She learned to do this easily. We went from placing pads in 5 different places where she had had accidents, to placing them in one place. This was in a one bedroom apartment with 2 cats and 2 humans. The pee at that age was so dilute that with the pad the place really didn’t smell and we could all relax a bit. We didn’t use sitters for her as she was kind of insane and overly protective might be one way of putting it, but strangely enough she did fine at the kennel. We couldn’t afford so many vacations, but it was better than a lawsuit. Your dog is probably friendly and nice and maybe would prefer not to have to run out and wake the human and get on the elevator in the middle of the night. Wee wee pads might help make everyone’s life easier, and might even make it easier to find a sitter.

(Also please think this through: No pay, sleep on airmattress, wake up in the middle of the night to walk the dog, no opportunity for siteseeing as dog must go out at least every three hours. – Might not be the easiest sit to fill.

No, thank you.

All sits essentially compete for sitters, so it can be helpful to observe what you’re competing against. I live in the D.C. area and have observed that there are plenty of sits in the area, most with better circumstances — a real bed, more free time away from the pets, no need to get up in the middle of the night to take a pet out. Logically, I’d expect sitters to compare sits, so presumably such a sit would draw fewer applications.

Personally, I’d never pursue such a sit even if I wanted a local sit for a change of pace, because I know it would be easy to do better.

I sometimes think owners do themselves a disservice with descriptions. From what you’ve said OP your pup was fine for 8 hours a day for a stretch of time with no accidents. In your advert I’d say this along with the three hour limit you want (but then I’m confused where that number came from)

The dealbreaker for me would be letting the dog out in the night. Does that happen often?

Agree. If you said “the dog is generally okay for up to eight hours, but be aware that he may have an accident indoors if that is the case,” is very different than “dog must go out every 3 hours, without fail.”

You, and many posters, would benefit from making your post less wordy and placing all essential information in the first few lines. We have an apartment in (name of neighborhood) which is (exact distance) from (exact name of Metro station) which takes you to the tourist sites in (exact time.)

There is no yard, the dogs must be walked on leash (how often, how far, how many times a day.) They can be left alone for (how long)

I live in DC, so I know that even if you are along the Courthouse-Balston corridor, no one can go into DC for tourist stuff reasonably for less than 6 hours away from your home.