Cheap Cell Phone Data (International Sits)

You can use the maps.me app to find your way around without wifi or internet. You will need to download maps before you leave on your trip. It is very useful as sometimes Internet is not available in rural pockets.

2 Likes

Thank you. I will look at it. I guess I have high expectations for high speed internet. I was told that technology was more advanced abroad. I may have a lot more to learn. I was looking for adventure. Other than nature walks I am not going rural this time. Appreciate your help.
Eva

Yes, I can recommend this as well. I always download the maps from Googlemaps but same idea.

Yes, costs for data internationally are the same as domestically. The network youā€™re on though will change depending on the country/city you are in. For example, in London weā€™re usually on the Tello network.

We use Google Maps and download the map in advance so that we use less data to get around. Once the local map is downloaded, you can keep data on to get walking directions, or turn data off and just use driving directions.

Happy travels and stay safe! :slight_smile:

Hi,

Iā€™m asking this early so I can organise shipping so we can use them when we land :+1:. Our hop isnā€™t til Oct/Nov.

Weā€™d like to buy a prepaid Sim card for Canada, primarily Calgary/Edmonton & one for The Eastern US (NY & most likely DC). Do we need to buy 2 sim cards or is there another option? We donā€™t need to make heaps of calls or smsā€™s but dataā€™s super important.

Iā€™ve done a couple of google searches but way too much infoā€¦Itā€™s not as simple as buying one at the airport in Oz & NZ :roll_eyes:.

Thank you
:slightly_smiling_face:

Hi @TheMapleKiwi Which country will you visit first? That might make a difference. My guess, based on my US friend, is that you will have far more options in the US than in Canada. Unfortunately Canadian plans are generally far more expensive than most countries. Sorry I canā€™t be more help. :roll_eyes:

Hi, heading to Canada first then the US. It shouldnā€™t be this difficult :sob:

I appreciate any info :slightly_smiling_face: & thank you.

How much data do you need? I will look into a bunch of our local companies and get the info for you.

If you buy a Canadian SIM card, it should work anywhere in Canada. Iā€™m not sure if itā€™ll work in the US, likely not. When we go down to the States, we buy a US SIM card because roaming costs here are horrific.

2 Likes

Thank you, I was hoping a local may be able to muddle through all the info.

I knew we may need 2 separate sims but thought iā€™d ask.

@BunnyCat I had a quick squiz of that link & appreciate it.
Thanks again for your help!

1 Like

Hi, I saw the e-sim but donā€™t have any of those phones so a normal sim it is.

I was thinking of buying prior & having them sent to nz so I can activate them when I arrive in Canada then the US.

Iā€™ve tweeted to the main phone companies to find out as much as I can. I know you want to have one mailed to you, but Iā€™m pretty sure some will be available to purchase in arrivals at YYC. Iā€™m asking that as well (or are you landing in Edmonton?)

1 Like

Hi, for Canada, final destination is YYCā€¦Last time we flew to calgary, we had to drive to a mall to buy a sim card & 1000% unacceptable to us :-1::-1::-1:.

2hr drive to airport then 4 flights just to get to calgary :triumph: :snail:

1 Like

Ah yes, thatā€™s like us flying to NZ, although to be honest, thatā€™s only two flights. Kelowna to Vancouver, and then direct to Auckland. But so looooooong.

I just remembered I have a friend who volunteers at YYC. Iā€™ll message her and ask what she knows.

1 Like

Drive to Cchā€¦Fly Cch-Akl-Van-Cal

Cal-Jfk

1 Like

Oh youā€™re doing the ACK-YVR trip in the middle of all that. Ugh. I hate that flight.

2 Likes

Also, are you aware of this deal? I did it on one trip to NZ when I was on my own. Paid an extra $100 at check in and got an empty seat next to me. Itā€™s not always available and I suggest checking in fairly early so you are one of the first to try to book one.

3 Likes

Happy dance :dancer:. I somehow stumbled upon the solution at nzsimcorner.com

I donā€™t care about the network providers in :canada: or in the US, just as long as I have heaps of data etc for our adventure.

@TheMapleKiwi that link is not working for me , Iā€™d love to hear what you found out though!

Sorry for the late response, I wasnā€™t near my computer where I saved the site.

Itā€™s meant to be nz.simcorner.com

1 Like