Christmas Markets - Where are your favorites?

November is the month we start to see Christmas markets opening around the world and we’d love to hear both your go to recommendations, and those that maybe didn’t quite live up to expectations!

I’ve got to be honest and say I enjoy them most for the food and drink options, so we’ll be on the look out in France over the coming month! Strasbourg is one I’d really like to hear more about :slight_smile:

So please share your experiences, tips and of course, lots of photos!!

2 Likes

Oh yes, food & drinks are the ONLY reasons I go to a Christmas market! :smiley:

Loved the Cologne one! It’s so big and on many different squares, we visited for 2 days!

7 Likes

@Els I’ve never been to a really big one in Europe… but this year we will make the effort!! That looks amazing! Thanks for sharing :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow-such a throwback for us. We loved the Christmas market in Germany. Nuremberg was the local one for us, and the food was delicious. Unfortunately I don’t have a photo to share, but I recall when we were so far from family and home, it definitely got us in the Christmas spirit! :snowflake: :christmas_tree: :santa:

3 Likes

Nuremberg is one of the oldest Christmas markets in Europe. It’s v v busy though. Be prepared to struggle to walk round.

1 Like

According to the Daily Mirror in the UK here are the top 10 UK markets for anyone house sitting in or close to these locations this year 2021…

Top 10 most popular UK Christmas markets

1. Edinburgh, Scotland
  2. Bath, England (Cancelled for 2021, virtual event instead)
  3. Manchester, England
  4. London, England
  5. York, England
  6. Nottingham, England
  7. Birmingham, England
  8. Glasgow, Scotland
  9. Lincoln, England
  10. Cardiff, Wales
1 Like

The Victorian Christmas Market in Worcester is our favourite…

3 Likes

Our favorites so far have been Tallinn, Philadelphia, Bryant Park in NYC and Cologne.

2 Likes

Hello @Natasha.n.Greg and welcome to the community! We hope you enjoy mooching about the forum and joining in the conversations! I don’t know much at all about markets in the USA but I can imagine NYC will be quite special!

1 Like

I’m a bit biased but one of my favorite Christmas Markets is the one in Montreux, Switzerland. They’re already constructing the little chalets that line the lakeshore. Children and their parents can take a train up the mountain to Santa’s village to meet Santa. Every evening Santa’s sleigh flies over the market with a real Santa aboard. The period leading up to Christmas is a magical time to be in Montreux!

5 Likes

Another one of my favorite Christmas Markets is at the Old Town Square in Prague.

6 Likes

What wonderful images and narrative @Mary-Kay I want to go … as you say MAGICAL, thank you so much for sharing.

1 Like

Thanks, @Angela_L! One thing that I forgot to mention is the heavenly aroma associated with all Christmas Markets: a holiday blend of mulled wine, gingerbread, and roasting chestnuts! :christmas_tree:

3 Likes

Prague rates as one of my favorite city visits so this one would be heaven. Mulled wine … I was just saying yesterday after a hike in the snow in the Alps… we need to stop filling our flask with coffee and change to vin chaud !! The smell and taste… heavenly :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I am biased, as I live in Basel, Switzerland and we have a Christmas market that is the largest in Switzerland. It really is a magical time, especially if it snows.

And coincidentally, I need a sitter for this Christmas :slight_smile:

5 Likes