Christmas sitting

We recently joined to find cat sitters over the December holidays, and hopefully for vacations next year. I put up photos of our pets and the rooms in the house. We’ve had lots of saves, but no applications. How long does it usually take? I wonder if it may be the length (8 days) or time of year.
Is there a way to find sitters who are looking to be in our geographic area over the holidays, e.g. they’d like to visit friends or family?
Thanks for any tips!

Hi @Margaret2 welcome to our community forum and to TrustedHousesitters.

I have repositioned your post to this topic where the Christmas sits and conversation is.

I’ve also looked at your listing, it looks such a lovely opportunity for someone who would love to spend the holidays with some adorable kitty company.

What I would suggest is if you have any flexibility over New Year as you have an end date at a very busy and expensive travel time, unless you have sitter closer to home, which is where you can start search for sitters in your area and invite those who are available, you are in a lovely location.

This year is really quite different too there is so much uncertainty around travel and there is still a “wait and see” motivation for many. As sitters need a vehicle if you are able to make one available to qualified drivers that would be an additional benefit …

I’m sure you will have some encouraging help and advice from our members and we have new sitters joining all of the time, so do look at new members who are verified and referenced. There is still time and being proactive with your invites can bring added interest and possibly the right sitter.

Welcome again.

Angela and the Team

1 Like

I accepted a sit just before Christmas that was near where I was going anyway. So, with a little luck, it can work for both parties. It doesn’t hurt to post it and see.

2 Likes

Thanks for your response and suggestions! I changed the title of our posting to note that our dates are flexible, but I’m not sure if people will see that. We can’t stay away longer, unfortunately, but could come back earlier or adjust our departure date.
We are not planning to leave a car here; I’ve noted in the narrative that there is a bus stop a few minutes walk away, but also that a car is needed because the bus doesn’t run on weekends due to ongoing restricted service.

Hello everyone!
I was really exciteded about to do a sit at Chrismas, and I was aplying for some listing. But with the Covid situation again, I’m not feeling confortable to go to other country but I’m not finding a Christmas sitting in Portugal.

@Margaret2 I have not seen your listing, but I wonder why you say that a car is needed. If sitters can run their errands during the week, perhaps they’d be happy to stay home on the weekends. You run the risk that sitters will ignore your listing, if they don’t have a vehicle. I think as long as you caution in your listing that the buses don’t run on weekends, sitters can decide for themselves whether your sit is a good fit for them.

2 Likes

Thank you for the tip! I was worried about misleading the other way, but I prefer your version. I will change the listing and make the options clear. Thanks so much,

3 Likes

Hi All,
We are new to TH and were very excited to have our first sitter over for the Christmas period Unfortunately, the sitter had to cancel last minute due to personal reasons and is unable to come to Dublin.

We’re trying to find a last minute sitter for our cat Smokey We’re also open to seeing if someone can do just some of these dates and combine sitters.

We’ve reopened the listing and contacted everyone who applied previously but have had no luck as people already committed to other sits. We’re very worried that we will have to cancel the Christmas family trip we’ve originally planned outside of Ireland.

Would appreciate any help at all - if it’s possible by any way to boost our listing, we’d be very grateful!

THANKS SO MUCH!

smokey

2 Likes

Hi @kate_zh_dublin welcome to our community forum and I’m sorry to hear your sitter has had to cancel. I have moved your post to the Christmas Sit thread and have removed the listing links as we don’t allow listing posts on the forum except for urgent, last minute sits with a start date of 7 days from posting.

This Update regarding housesits on the forum with a full explanation was posted this week and unlike our existing members you may have missed it only just having joined.

Good luck with your listing and I’m going to tag @Therese who will connect with you when she is back online and help you with additional advice relating to boosting your listing.

We can also share on our social media channels if this is something you would like.

Angela and the Team

2 Likes

Hello everyone

I’m looking for a solo sitter from Dec 24 - Dec 30. The listing is in my profile. My place is in West NY, NJ and this is 20 min from Midtown Manhattan (NYC). My apt is very easily accessible and no need to have a car (Free guest parking is available though on the property). You can use public transportation. My apt is in a well-maintained and secure building.

I have my cat and dog that are wonderful to deal with. I just had an international sitter cancel on me due to travel restrictions, so I’m scrambling at the last minute. If you think you are a good/great fit, please reach out! Thank you!

1 Like

Hello Angela,
Thank you so much for your answer and providing furhter context! Appreciate you moving my listing to the correct thread.
I’d be really grateful if you can share on your social media channels and I’m looking forward to @Therese to reach out.

@kate_zh_dublin I will share across our Social channels tomorrow in order to catch the appropriate members … (timing & location)

@Angela-CommunityManager Thank you so much! Let me know if you need additional info or photos!

Kate your listing is great, no need for any additional info.

1 Like

Hi everyone. A potential sitter just told me that people are posting here to say they are getting rejected because they’re new to the site. If you have dog experience and are free over Christmas 2021, please check my profile.

Hi @Vicki64Vito20 - IF You follow the instructions on this link you will be able to add your listing to your forum profile making it easier for sitters on the forum to find you - Good luck!

How to add a listing or profile link to your FORUM profile - Help & Website Support / Forum Help - TrustedHousesitters Community Forum

3 Likes

I like to sit over the holidays (my family gatherings are LOUD), but I also typically do repeat sits that HOs book very far in advance, so putting up a listing as early as possible will probably be your best bet.

Two week count-down - a Christmas sitter would be a Christmas miracle. LOL

I had to start looking at paid sitters to see what might be out there. Either that or we take them with us.

I just finished a sit in Mills River on Sunday. You live in a fabulous area. Maybe add “Asheville” to the start of your headline. It is such a popular destination and many people won’t know that Fletcher is near Asheville, so they would scroll past the listing without opening it. “Asheville /Blue Ridge Mountains with easy senior pets” is a suggestion. Good luck!

2 Likes

Asheville is an exceptionally beautiful place and if I weren’t already in heaven I would have been all over it. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like