Conclusion Of Pausing Application Test - Updated Post

@Ben-ProductManager I applied for a London sit this morning that has multiple sit dates listed. I only applied for one of the dates 20-25 Jan 2023. I have a saved search set up for 16-26 Jan 2023 in the UK and noticed that this listing no longer appeared in my saved searches list. Thinking that the 5 application cap had been reached for the dates I applied for, I checked to see if the status had changed to “reviewing applications”. I was very surprised to see the dates I applied for, 20-25 Jan 2023, were not there, not even the dates with a “reviewing applications” message under them. Is this correct?

Also, for a listing with multiple sit dates, when is the 5 application cap reached? Is it for the total applications across all dates or is it based on each listed date seperately?

Currently the listing shows the following data:
23 Dec-27 Dec, 3 applicants
30 Dec-2 Jan, 1 applicant
6 Jan-9 Jan, 2 applicants

1 Like

Hi @Crookie
It would be 5 applicants per date set.
I think what happened is that the pet-parent/owner edited the dates you applied for, hence they now show up differently on your application, which did go through, so you can see this in your inbox. You will also see that there are now only two sets of dates still available, so the others are not showing as they have reached the 5 application limit.
Hope this helps
Best Wishes
Therese

1 Like

I’m quite upset by this 5 application cut off system. I am in the United Kingdom and trying to apply for housesits in South America. They are often posted at what is the middle of the night for me so I never get the chance to apply.

Very disappointing and puts members outside of the owner’s time zone at a disadvantage!

11 Likes

Hi @Crookie

The application limit is per set of dates.

To add what @Therese has said if you have other dates then the reviewing applicants is not showing’

But this is one of the improvements we are working on. We will be showing all dates, like this:

23 Dec-27 Dec, 3 applicants
30 Dec-2 Jan, 1 applicant
20-25 Jan, Reviewing applications.

Unless the owner has deleted these dates. In this instance, if you have applied and the owner then deletes the date you will receive an automated email.

Thanks, Ben

2 Likes

I’m a sitter and in the past have always taken time to read the listing, jot down some notes, write a detailed letter that describes why I feel I’d be the perfect fit… and even look at travel costs PRIOR to officially applying for the sit to make sure travel costs are worth the time at the sit location.

THAT was the past.

Now I feel there is a mad dash to be one of the first 5 applicants. I admit that I have send off a generic “I’m interested” email to get included in the first 5 applicant round. THEN after I submitted the first email, I go back and send a second email that is more like what I used to do OR I cancel my application if the sit ends up not being the best fit. I do fear that I can get rejected before the second email is sent since my first rushed email is not custom written to apply to the specific sit.

Personally, I feel this 5 applicant limit is way too low. It does create “faster connections” but not always the best quality connections. I fear Homeowners will see more application cancellations which is a waste of time for homeowners as well as sitters. I really hope THS will change this policy. If THS goal is faster turn around to sit opportunities, I’d suggest they don’t limit the applications, but maybe do an automatic pause on “24 or 48 hours posted with over X number of applicants.” This way sitters have time to really analyze the sit-opportunity match … AND verify the time and cost is appropriate for the sitter WITHOUT risking not being included in the application review. This was “hot listings” get to review all interested parties within a 24-48 hour period… vs just those lucky few sitters who saw it in the 15 minutes it was posted.

9 Likes

Please read the now closed Conclusion of Pausing Applications thread. You may find an answer.

3 Likes

Ever since the owners are limited to a minimum of five applications, I have this loss of peace. I end up applying just to keep a place and then checking with my husband because if I wait even a day, the post is gone.
I like this family and community form here. I really don’t like the race though. I miss the peace.

6 Likes

Me too. Even though we are just scanning options atm, the process of searching and applying is nowhere near as pleasant as it used to be. We are wanting to sit in another timezone in spring next year and so many of my alerts that come through during the night are already paused by the time I see them. I find I’m checking at ridiculous hours of the night, just in case.

5 Likes

Home owners should be allowed to have as many open application before rejecting or accepting any sitter.

7 Likes

100% effective ( in killing my buzz and motivation to visit New York) I’m in Australia at the moment helping my mum out after her husband’s passing. I’ve been busy spring cleaning and generally getting things in order, so not on my phone all day. My hubby is finishing a sit in London and will then meet me for a few months in Asia ( not sitting) We would like our next sit to be in New York and our plans and availability are super-flexible, so I believe I probably have every listing in New York and surrounding states favorited. This morning I awoke at 7.25am to 5 slerts for sits in NY and Brooklyn. The latest one came through at 5.27am. As has been the case for the majority of these alerts I now get in the wee hours of the morning (and throughout the day) ALL were already reviewing applications. Too bad, so sad. Once again, I don’t even get a chance to put our hat in the ring. I realize this will get moved to the longer thread and closed for comments but it helps relieve my frustration to share. So give it a like if you feel my pain.

32 Likes

I so agree!! this new format has changed everything and the way I feel about THS completely! One doesn’t even get a look in now and one can’t be on the site 24/7 in the off chance you get to see a sit in time. I still wish someone would explain the magical “5 application” number to me. We got a sit this year where there were 35 applicants and SURELY the homeowner should have the choice of be able to pick the best sitter and not the fastest to reply! I cancelled my automatic renewal but then when I wanted to apply for a sit next year there was a message that said “this sit is out of your membership period” and I wondered if the HO is sent this message also if you apply in this instance.
Such a terrible pity its come to this, it just doesn’t sit well :roll_eyes:

7 Likes

This morning I received an alert that a perfect sit in London I had favorited had a new date.
We were in the middle of a handover for a sit in the UK. In the very short time, I was unavailable it was paused. Had I been in my usual time zone I would not have even been aware of the opportunity.
This is so frustrating to not be able to even throw our hat into the ring. Yes, there may be other sits in the right location with the right timing but doubtful I will see or be able to apply to these either.
This is the most customer-unfriendly action that THS has made and is still not shared with all members via email as it should be.

15 Likes

@Expat6
I agree , I’ve had it happen SO many times I’ve removed all my favorites to aviod the disappointment.
Ann Marie

7 Likes

This morning I received an alert that a perfect sit in London I had favorited had a new date.
We were in the middle of a handover for a sit in the UK. In the very short time, I was unavailable it was paused. Had I been in my usual time zone I would not have even been aware of the opportunity.
This is so frustrating to not be able to even throw our hat into the ring. Yes, there may be other sits in the right location with the right timing but doubtful I will see or be able to apply to these either.
This is the most customer-unfriendly action that THS has made and is still not shared with all members via email as it should be.

8 Likes

Like others I am hugely disappointed by the new rule of a 5 person cut off. It has made the whole sitting business much more frantic. I have to log on 4 times a day (in part because the alerts don’t seem to work efficiently) and sits ate sometimes gone before I’ve seen them. I wonder, cynically, if this is partly why this system has been introduced. Do THS make more money or have a higher profile if there is more traffic with people checking more frequently? I have also found it leads to more sites being labelled as ‘new’ when they reappear. Its just a bad move all round and THS need to listen to their paying members and change it, especially considering the time zone differences.

11 Likes

I have spent the last hour trying to discern the TH decision on pausing applications. This was a test. When will a final decision be made? I need to know before my membership is renewed in 23 days. Thank you,

5 Likes

2nd version

2 Likes

They should have added ‘And,… if you are looking to sit in a different timezone in a popular destination, please stay up all night so you have a chance of getting an application in before the listing is paused.’

13 Likes

Probably way past the time to post dates for Christmas….

2 Likes

When did this "rule of 5"start? I encountered on our current situation and did not like it. I don’t remember ever being notified of that by THS.

3 Likes