Conclusion Of Pausing Application Test - Updated Post

I mimic these comments! I work full time and have been sitting for 10+ years. I only get to do sits that I am lucky to click on a pop up notification and am able to apply in 2.2 seconds. It’s like a sitter lottery now. If you are lucky to be one of the first 5, then you get a chance… unless the homeowner has the guts to decline sitters. I wish we had at least 24 hours to put thought into a sit application and then apply. AND the homeowner would get more people of various experiences apply. But I feel THS wants the 5 app rule in order to push Homeowners towards newer sitters. Makes sense if they want to keep the newer sitters happy and paying their memberships. (FYI - moderator moved my comment from another thread. I don’t like that these comments get moved from where they were originally commented. Bad form!)

13 Likes

The new five application rule made my finding a good fitting Housesitter for us very very difficult too. I never had to spend so much time until we were successful. I complained about it already but the reaction was only that I can decline. But the result is that you must search for your sitter much earlier in advance than before . In top my experience was the same: the applicants do not read well what we need but apply. Very unpleasant! Good thing is that we found for our 3 months staying away from our house a very lively person. In the end! After 3 months searching!!!

10 Likes

Just how many complaints of this rule does THS have to receive before they change it!
Or have a transparent survey to show all members opinion!

15 Likes

I have only recently discovered that THS has imposed a five application rule to new sits. Why? As an owner I’m perfectly able to handle applications myself, and I feel that it also puts sitters at a disadvantage. How on earth are they going to be able to apply for a sit they are suited for unless they’re constantly glued to their computer screens. We have had six applications for a sit in September and none are remotely suitable, yet we’ve had wonderful sitters in the past and know they’re out there. Please stop this nonsense and remove this feature or you will begin to lose both owners and sitters.

15 Likes

We’re experienced sitters (several dozen sits, all with 5 star reviews), but, as with many others, the 5 applications policy has made it next to impossible for us to apply for overseas sits. To THS itself: How many experienced sitters warned you about this outcome?

15 Likes

I’ve never seen a better description of the problems TH created for itself when it decided to chase money, rather than quality sitting experiences for its members.
Back when TH decided to bring in their 5-applications rule, (with no consultation) a lot of us TH members (especially sittters) predicted this would happen: that the process would encourage haste in applying, and no one, sitters or owners, would ultimately benefit. Good on TH for trying to attract new members but they way they’ve gone about it has substantially degraded the experience for sitters and owners alike.
To answer your question, many experienced sitters feel they’ve been shut out, even slapped in the face, and have given up trying to deal with a fruitless process and have gone to other sites.

18 Likes

I think that THS brought the five applicant rule in, in a rather underhand way. I had no ide about it until looking in on the forums. I have just completed a house sit and the home owner had no idea that there was now a five applicant limit and had wondered why so few applicants. I only ended up with it, as the home owner contacted me, when looking through for suitable people, as none who had contacted her were any good, or had not wanted it after making initial enquiry etc.

9 Likes

I think most owners hate the five limit rule, and many many of us have posted our objections multiple times on this forum.

15 Likes

Since TGS implemented the ‘fastest 5 to apply’ rule, I have no chance to apply for housesits in a different time zone. I live in Europe and have been looking for an assignment in Australia or New Zealand, but with the time difference I’m missing my chance to apply to every listing that would work for me. Are other people finding this ‘fastest 5’ rule significantly impacts use of the site, and the value of membership? I think THS should advise members of the impact of this new restriction, particularly as regards international housesits outside your residential time zone. Had I known about this new practice/rule, I might not have renewed my subscription.

7 Likes

Since TGS implemented the ‘fastest 5 to apply’ rule, I have no chance to apply for housesits in a different time zone. I live in Europe and have been looking for an assignment in Australia or New Zealand, but with the time difference I’m missing my chance to apply to every listing that would work for me. Are other people finding this ‘fastest 5’ rule significantly impacts use of the site, and the value of membership? I think THS should advise members of the impact of this new restriction, particularly as regards international housesits outside your residential time zone. Had I known about this new practice/rule, I might not have renewed my subscription.

6 Likes