Confused about protocols for applying for sits

Thank you Kerri @cas hearing from owners is so important as a lack of or longer response time can be for a number of reasons, it’s not always black and white.

Thank you both for the feedback and suggestions

2 Likes

Over the weekend, I’ve been rejected for two sits for which I applied a few days ago. In both situations, the number of sitters applying was between 0 and 3.
I’ve simply received the auto response from THS. Is it too much trouble for these HOs to reply to fewer than 3 applicants?

5 Likes

I agree, whilst appreciating that HOs may well have 101 tasks on their plate, it doesn’t take long to just send a quick “thanks but no thanks” message to someone who has expressed an interest in helping you out. Similarly, if I’m invited to sit without a personal message, I wonder if the HO really wants me or has just sent out umpteen blank invites to sitters they think will fit the bill. I always reply (turning them down as the dates rarely suit or because the sit doesn’t appeal) with a polite message thanking them and wishing them success in their search. If that message is ignored and the only communication is the THS automatic reply “you’ve been unsuccessful”, I smile to myself that I am the “rejected” party, not the HO. I should be interested to hear HO’s views on the blank invitation. Is it too much to expect a short, personalised invite telling you why you would be a welcome sitter?

As a very new HO and my first time going through this process just finished, I must say that at least a thank you for the application and I will get back to you within a time frame can be done. Even when I am busy I can acknowledge the application and let the sitter know a yes or no later as soon as there’s been a decision. With some I might know right away they don’t match and then it’s no big deal to tell them early, although I feel bad every time I have to do it.
I am a very quick decider listening to my gut and I don’t need weeks anyway to know what I want so with my offer sitters really need to be quick :rofl::rofl::rofl:
As I want the “problem” out of my mind I find the time to look through the applications and it would never take me days or weeks to get back to the applicants.

8 Likes

Hi Diggy, as a HO, no I don’t think it is too much to ask for a personalised invitation…… thus far I have not invited anyone individually, but if I did I would certainly make a personal invitation.

1 Like

Sounds just liked me!:+1:t4::grin:

2 Likes

on a couple of occasions now I have applied (and the message had either been read or not read by HO - i have had both examples) and I have heard nothing back. Then when i have gone to view listing sitter is no longer required. Yet I didn’t get an email notification from TH. Does TH only notify when the sit is filled by someone else?

Hi @GingerWilson email notifications are sent:

• when an owner confirms another sitter.

• If an owner removes dates no notification email is sent to applicants

I hope that clarifies the process for you

1 Like

Understood thanks.

Ginger Wilson
Producer

Ginger Ink Films Africa
…Possibilities Brought to Life

In Development
“Amnesty” - 10 x 60mins Urban Drama
“The In-Between World of Vikram Lall" - 10 x 60mins Period Drama

Production Guild of Great Britain
Kenya Film and Television Professionals Association (KFTPA)
Foreign Correspondents Association of East Africa
Producers Guild of Kenya.

Its true that typically a HO will usually reach out to have a video chat or at least a phone call “until” you have a lot of 5 star reviews, then poof you get selected without even a hello. lol truth!!! after I had about 10 5 star reviews 3 out of 5 select me with no chat first. Its great but I usually have some questions, so make sure I ask in my intro letter that goes with my application.

2 Likes

Yes this used to happen quite regularly, but the process was changed quite some time ago which means now an owner can’t invite you for a sit automatically without you ALSO accepting. This gives the opportunity to send a message and decline, or ask for a chat before accepting. There’s a final acceptance from the owner - so a much improved system.

But like you we also explain in our application message anyway that we like to chat before confirming a sit, and why, as many new members don’t automatically see this as an important part of the process. Although these discussions on the forum will be helping everyone with awareness of best practices. As you are highlighting, it’s all about good communication… always :slight_smile:

1 Like

Personally I wouldn’t consider accepting a sitter without a video chat Orr at least a telephone conversation first, no matter how many 5* reviews they have…

2 Likes

I am fairly new to TH in that I joined right before Covid so only was able to get a few sits and reviews before things closed down but I did on one occasion boldly ask for feedback from a HO when my application was rejected to see how I might have improved my application. I am so glad I asked because I was told that my application was excellent and that he, the husband, was about to accept me when he found out his wife had already started the process with someone else unbeknownst to him. He then asked if I would like to be considered for a future sit. Every situation is so different but I was happy to get some assurance that my application didn’t have any sort of information that might cause a HO to be hesitant.

8 Likes

@Provence
You said you “only” had 8 reviews and others have 30 or even up to 70.
I for myself don’t think there’s that much difference as long as there are a few reviews and maybe some references. I confess I declined a perfect sounding sitter with 52 x 5* reviews on sits only with cats, because I didn’t want anybody “knowing better” than us how to treat our tom, who has several health issues.
It only was a gut feeling I made my decision with and nothing indicated that this would happen. I only wanted to say that 50+ sits don’t necessarily have to get you chosen.

Please keep in mind that both owners and sitters don’t necessarily, or aren’t necessarily able to read the emails right away. There are reasons, whether traveling, working, etc., that may cause delay. Sometimes we don’t hear back from someone we ask about sitting for several days, and in the meantime, we may ask others about their availability. And just because you respond first, or they answer you sooner, doesn’t always mean you will get the sit. Either side may feel it is not a suitable fit, so that is why it is okay to apply/respond to more than one.

3 Likes

For us, we normally wait at least a few days, but it depends on the time frame and how desperate we are to find a sit in a particular location etc. In a perfect world, we only apply for one at a time.

We don’t wait at all. We apply, at the same time,
for all sits that appeal to us and continue to apply if new sits get advertised …then sit back and wait for any positive responses…it’s first come first served!

7 Likes

No. We apply for any site that fits our criteria for the dates and who ever responds first and wants us we go. We then tell the others that we have to withdraw our application and the reason. We will not be at the mercy of slow acting pet companions.
One thing we would never do, and I hope no one else would because it gives us sitters a very bad reputation, is play one against another. Yes, there will always be a sit that stands out above the rest but we would never leave a pet companion hanging around just in case the honey pot of a sit says yes.

5 Likes

Professional sitter? Do you mean full time sitter and nomad?
In my books that would be definite positive. At least they will turn up as they have no other place to go.

2 Likes

No one knows better than you about your pets care. We make this very clear when communicating with pet companions. We are given a timetable of care and needs and that time table is followed.

( the very early morning walks and feeds are of course my husband’s responsibility)

3 Likes