Contact with other sitters?

Hello, is it possible to send a private message to another sitter?
Has anyone here ever teamed up with another sitter, for example in a house with lots of pets? Or does that get too messy?
Just curious.

1 Like

Hi Andrea
If you search youā€™ll find that there are Meetup opportunities. A few of us are meeting up in London on 26 July but I see youā€™re in Ireland. If you search for a housesitter in Ireland youā€™ll be able to see how many of you are there, then arrange a meet-up if you can. If you have someone else in the home where youā€™re sitting you should ask the owner if you can invite them in. Usually itā€™s ok but I doubt if theyā€™ll allow other animals in. Iā€™ve so far met up with two other Housesitters individually in cafes. On one occasion I took my canine charge. She really enjoyed the journey there by bus and back by train but didnā€™t settle well in the garden of the cafe.

1 Like

Hello @andrealovesanimals .
I always team up with someone; sister or friend, sometimes also member of THS. Never happened with someone I didnā€™t know though.
But unlike solo sitters, I do not petsit by myself (I did first around my hometown). I always think if something would happen to me or to one of the pet, who could be the back up ? OK with the emergency number given if it concerns one of the animal that I need to bring to the vet. But if myself needs to go to the hospital ? Who would stay with the furry friends and in contact with me ?
Anyway, it never happened but I prefer to play it safe.

2 Likes

I am a self described global solo traveler, a gregarious introvert :grinning:
Never paired up with anyone but very open to meeting. I only apply to experiences I am confident I can manage on my own. That being said I go to very rural places and have learned to care for animals where I had no prior experience with a day or so with the HO to learn and demonstrate competency.
For emergencies, HOs have always provided points of contacts aside from vet, neighbors, friends, family and it has been super cool.

4 Likes

Hi @andrealovesanimals Iā€™ll just answer your first question. If you mean messaging another sitter on the website, thatā€™s not possible for a sitter to message a sitter. You can direct message sitters on the forum. Youā€™d click on their forum username and use the green message envelope.

1 Like

Thanks for the replies! I might try and get people together for a meetup in Ireland.
When I wrote about teaming up, I was wondering about applying for a pet sit together. Iā€™d never just invite someone to a house Iā€™m taking care of. Iā€™m just tossing some ideas around really. Solo sitting appeals to me as well because I like my own space at times, especially shared with animals.

1 Like

@andrealovesanimals The more I think about your question about teaming up, the more I think your ā€˜too messyā€™ might be the issue. :thinking:

The first questions that come to mind for me are: Who gets the credit (review)? Who gets any blame, if the owner is dissatisfied? How do you manage full disclosure to the owner, as this will likely be a first for them?

I suggest you connect with membership services, if you decide to pursue this at any time. Iā€™m not tagging any team member at this point. Iā€™ll leave it with you to connect with them, if and when you have something more specific in mind. :slightly_smiling_face:

Francine,
Volunteer Moderator :canada:

2 Likes

I get the impression youā€™re thinking about teaming up with someone you donā€™t know. Even if you did know someone you would sit generally regularly as a couple/pair and be joint members. @Snowbird explains it better.

No, I donā€™t think I would arrange a house sit with someone Iā€™ve never met before. I guess I was thinking of meeting other sitters and later on - possibly - doing sits together. It was just an idea that occured to me, not something I have really planned.
I guess I might organise a meetup or try to. I have a feeling that it might not happen as Ireland is small and not everyone would be interested in meeting fellow sitters, but who knows?

2 Likes

Iā€™m sure youā€™ll find some other sitters to meet up with.

Hi @Smiley! interested in the London meetup details- my partner and i will be in the city at that time as well and would love to join! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Iā€™ve tagged you but just in case.

Thatā€™s great. Reply to @amparo post ā€˜Meetup London - Victoria Jugged Hare - 26th July

1 Like

Sorry, I see @amparo has spotted your message and included you - sheā€™s very efficient like that! :wink:

2 Likes

@Brigitte are you sitting with friends or family than are not THS members. ?
Do you ask when you apply about bringing someone. ? I would like to know more about your experience bringing a travel companion.
Ann Marie

Hello !
I sit by myself only when I am close to home. Letā€™s say a couple of hours drive, mainly in the same province. Quebec in my case.
Otherwise I sit with someone: sister, female friend, cousin, couple. Some of them members of THS, some not.
I always include this fact in my written application. And I offer she/he/they be there for the video chat. Something like : ā€œI would be interested to flyā€¦to driveā€¦ with my sister to take care of your furry friendā€.
It never happened to me that someone refused my application for that reason.

But what happened to me once is that my female friend, member of THS, got sick while we were petsitting in Texas. Up the the point we thought she needed to go to the hospital. Everything finished with an happy ending but made me realize I didnā€™t want to petsit alone. Who would take care of me and the animals I have the charge of, if I am by myself ?
Well, this is my way. But many people sit by themselves and are perfectly fine.

1 Like

@Brigitte thanks for sharing your experience. Iā€™ve been traveling solo for a year. I see some sits that Iā€™d to bring a travel companion on and might explore that in the future.

1 Like