Contacting HO to express interest even if you cannot make the posted dates?

What are ‘push notifications’?

So, is it the case that, if I continue using my laptop and the main THS website, NONE of the HOs or the sits I have ‘favourited’, will ever result in pop-up notifications of another set of dates?
This is madness!!!

@LTD I’m going to tag @Therese and ask her to address these points when she’s next online. I know she’s done excellent clarification of favourites and saved searches in the past but I don’t seem to find that in my bookmarks all in one post.

‘Push notifications’ is the wording shown on the images in the post I linked to you earlier here and in the image it provides an explanation.

@LTD Just to clarify a little more, the push notifications feature is only available on smart phones so this would not be able to be done on a laptop. It is not specific to TrustedHousesitters but is a general application on phones across the board.
How I personally manage this, as I do like to use my laptop for most functions, and I have downloaded the App, specifically to get notifications on my Favourites as well as Saved Search notifications as @snowbird has done. (these searches must be set up on the phone).
I find the combination of working with both the phone and laptop works really well for me.
Hope this helps.
Therese

3 Likes

I always save a favourite by using the heart on my laptop.
I then receive notifications on my app

Yes. Loaded the App this morning. Didn’t realise all the differences.
Yet again, learnt something new about THS.

@LTD its basically an automated message (a message that pops up on a mobile device), sent by an application to you when the application is closed so basically keeping you updated even when you are not actually in the app.

1 Like

I had never heard that the website favourites are not connected to the app notifications. I have too many to know if this is the case for me, but Itchyfeet (below) contradicts that scenario. Are you saying that it’s not a tech fix issue, but a permanent cell phone feature (to not link the app and website) and Itchyfeet is wrong? I, like Snowbird, find it preferable to view listings on the bigger screen, so it’s possible that I have selected favourites on the website and NEVER received notifications for them? I have recently seen the “viewing applications” feature on the app. I had not heard about the 5 applications cut off, so I’m thankful it was explained here. In the short time it takes for me to look at my phone after being somewhere that is not conducive to looking every few minutes, a listing can have 5 applicants and not be available for me to apply. If people are “applying” because there is no other way to message the HO, then it could be a lot of start/stop with applicants, BUT I do like that it encourages the HO to get back to the sitter in a timely manner. :slight_smile:
24 Jun

I always save a favourite by using the heart on my laptop.
I then receive notifications on my app

I’ve done this a few times and always had a positive response from homeowners. First time we contacted a homeowner in the Yukon where our youngest son was temporarily working. They had advertised a winter sit but we asked them to keep us in mind for a summer sit which they did and we accepted and we really enjoyed it and got to visit with our son at the same time as looking after their adorable dog. I’m from Dublin originally so have messaged a few homeowners in Dublin who have also kept us in mind. One homeowner lives in the neighborhood where I was born and has invited me a couple of times but I haven’t been available but it’s my dream house sit to do a sit in the neighborhood where I was born - hopefully next year! My parents and I were the only family to emigrate to Canada so all my relatives are back in Dublin. No harm in contacting homeowners!

5 Likes

Yes, I have done this.
The Homeowner was delighted I made contact despite not being available for her nominated sits. She contacted me directly about her next one but unfortunately I was not available for the duration either. She said she would definitely keep me in mind again and appreciated getting back to her so quickly. She said she saved me as a favourite as I did with her profile.

1 Like

Hi @Flopsy @Itchyfeet is correct. Just to give you a little more clarity. The App and Website only sync to a certain degree with regards to ‘Favourites’ and ‘Saved Search’.

If you ‘Favourite’ or create a ‘Save search’ on the App, this will show on the website and visa versa. However, you need to create your favourites and saved searches on the App in order to get an notification. This is a smart phone feature, so no website can put this into their programming as a feature.

If you only ‘favourite’ on the website, you do not receive any email of new dates. Your saved searches you have created on the website, will give you a daily email if there are any new listings for your criteria.

I would like to suggest that you perhaps start to save your favourites on your phone, so you do get those notifications, and what I often do is work with the phone and website hand in hand. Like you, I do like to see things on the bigger screen and certainly prefer to send my applications on the computer as opposed to the phone.
‘The reviewing applicants’ message should now be showing on the App.
Hope this helps a bit more.
Best Wishes
Therese

Hi @Flopsy @Itchyfeet … I do apologize for the misinformation.

I have now had a confirmation from tech, that … 'Regardless of where you favourite a listing, you will receive notifications when new dates are added via an app push notification, if you have notifications enabled. Push notifications should be done under your phone settings".

My note still holds regarding saved searches.
Apologies for any confusion.
Best Wishes
Therese

1 Like

Hi @anon36831737 I’m puzzled as to why you tagged me here. I can’t see what comment I’ve made that has made you think I support contacting owners for anything other than to apply.

In my almost eight years with THS, I have never done that on this site. I see many posts where owners specifically mention to only apply if available for the specific sit listed. My main focus for sits is Mexico and so I often see that comment from owners in San Miguel de Allende, for example, as it is a popular location. Although Mexican sits can be highly competitive at times, again, I have never applied unless I am applying for the posted sit.

As for specifically addressing the pausing test currently in place, I have never made any suggestion to contact the owner, even if a sitter can’t make the date. I have chosen not to comment at all on the pausing test.

I’d appreciate you sharing what I posted that made you think otherwise.

Thanks @anon36831737 I was relating back to the title of the post and hence my response. Over time I have also come to realize that, not surprisingly, things often change when it comes to technology features. I think my response on that topic was a couple of months ago, so things may have changed. Surely I couldn’t have been even slightly wrong? :wink:

1 Like

5 posts were merged into an existing topic: Pausing Applications Test

This is not correct. Not only such a feature can but often is integrated with websites. In fact, notifications are such a nuisance these days that many people disable them

New sits are being added to my searches on a daily basis yet not once did I receive email regarding additions or anything else for that matter

Irregardless of where you favourite a listing (either on the website or the app), you will receive notifications when new dates are added via an app push notification, if you have notifications enabled.

Regarding saved searches, saved searches created on web are sent via a daily email. Saved searches created on app are sent via app push notification almost instantly.

We’re aware this isn’t ideal and hope to tackle the discrepancy at some point by implementing the following:

• having a way to get notifications for favourites by email
  • getting emails and/or push notifications for saved searches regardless of where you create the saved search

Me too, I rarely get an email to alert for saved searches - maybe one every two weeks and we have plenty saved - the only ones that ever pop up are Costa Rica, Peru & Chile?? @Therese I’m having the same issues as @RadarInc

Thank you, Therese, for asking and confirming with a tech that “Regardless of where I favourite a listing, I will receive notifications when new dates are added via an app push notification, if I have notifications enabled.” This is significant because the website is the only place I can see “Matching sits without current dates.” When on the website, I have searched for cities I would like to go someday, and sometimes after I scroll through all of the listings with current dates, it is followed by the above title and remaining home owners who are THS members but don’t have sit dates at that time. I have made some of them a favourite. It would be very hard to find out which ones I did that to vs the ones I made a favourite as I scrolled through the ones on my phone that show up when I get a notification for any that are in my saved search. I am very happy to hear that both places go to ONE favourite list.

Unfortunately, on my phone, once I get to a certain point in scrolling through my favourites, it seems to be in overload and alternately flashes and goes to blank screen. So, even though I’d like to wean out some of my favourites by removing the heart, it’s impossible to go through All my favourites on my phone, and on the website, I have to keep loading more and starting from the beginning to get to the next one. :frowning:
Having favourites with heart helps me not have to relook at the listing every time a new date is shown.
Thank you, again, for all you do, and for answering my questions/post.

Laurel

1 Like

Hi @flopsy Thank you for pointing out the favourites issue on your phone. I have passed this on to our tech team who will investigate. Please bear with us as it is a bank holiday in the UK, so I will only get an answer tomorrow.
Best wishes
Therese