Declined sittings without any interaction

As an HO, if I get an “application” that is “I’m available” or “ read my profile”, and yes, I’ve gotten both, I don’t really feel that I need to include a note when I decline. Especially if my reason is honestly that they didn’t care enough to try.

We also sit, and as others have, really try to write a solid, sincere, comprehensive app which supports our profile.

7 Likes

This seems to be happening a lot more lately than in the past. I have sent several applications followed by personal notes that should have prompted some kind of reply and have been ghosted. Not a single word from the HO. Some of the HO are new and most are young. I can only guess why this is happening — that these people were not taught manners, they want a sitter in their age group and are ill at ease communicating with people older than they are or that it’s easy to ignore someone you’ve connected to only in the virtual world. Whatever the reason, it’s very rude.

7 Likes

I agree with you mars. I don’t want to single out young people on here but as a senior, there definitely isn’t the common courtesy shown nowadays. I ride public transit where I live in Vancouver, B.C. So many times I have gotten on the train to find young people sitting in a seniors seat and I’ve approached them and asked them to get up and give me the seat I deserve. A bit off the topic but I think you’ve hit the nail on the head re manners and lack of communication in the virtual world. Hopefully the young sitters on here will read our comments and take heed!

5 Likes

I have had young and old sitters and really there isn’t a great deal of difference, other than age of course. In fact on balance, the younger sitters have been more adaptable. Older people ‘dither’ somewhat and when I have someone looking after my pets that’s the last thing I want. My impression here is that too many people are too concerned as to whether the floor is clean or they ‘get on’ with the sitters. I’m not here to make friends or have people be nice to me but to have good, efficient sitters. I’m not particularly bothered if, when I return, the house is untidy and I never speak to them again. What I’m concerned about is whether the cats are all fine!!

8 Likes

OK @stephenia that absolutely makes sense. I was really addressing responses to proper applications. In fact, I didn’t realise that some sitters made such sloppy applications, which seem to me to be obviously destined to fail.

3 Likes

I joined in Oct. '22 and have noticed this with my applications for housesits in the UK. Initially, I did a three house-sits in the US, close to home, to get started. I have lived in the UK for four years, and noted this in my profile.

In the US, 1 out of 7 of my applications were declined without any interaction. In the UK, 3 out of 6 of my applications were declined without any interaction, usually within an hour or two of my sending out the application. Two of the UK applications were declined even though the Pet Parent is still looking for a sitter for those sits.

Anyone else notice this difference by country?

1 Like

I think things have changed dramatically since the 5 applicant rule came in. It could be that HOs are rejecting quickly to free up space again for more applicants. Before this unpopular restriction was introduced HOs had more time to consider and compare all applicants and sitters had more time to write a proper thoughtful application after checking the sit fully meets their requirements. Nowadays everyone has to act fast. However it is ts still rude and disrespectful not to send a quick note…

8 Likes

@Andrew Good point!

3 Likes

I have had the same happen to me with three recent applications.

I agree.

I housesit with young kids so maybe their definition of “family friendly” is different to what mine is.

I noticed whilst looking at all three of the advertisements that from previous feedback, the homeowners seem to of gone with house sitters that are on their own.

Feedback would be beneficial to help us prepare for future applications.

6 Likes

This is exactly what it is, I think. It happened to me for the first time some two weeks ago. Not only was I rejected but I was rejected within 2 seconds. Seriously. And tbh, I found it rather shocking and insulting. Did the host even read my application?

3 Likes

Hmm. It sounds like many sitters are having their applications declined without any feedback. It’s probably happened to me and I just blocked it out. =) I agree that’s unfortunate. However, can’t a sitter still message the HO, even without selecting a date?

A kind word could turn the tables and get you the feedback you want. Or if you really want to be reconsidered for that sit, that could be a path forward.

I was trying to think of a pithy phrase: “You’ll get 0 feedback on the instant rejections you don’t follow up on.” =)

A sitter cannot message a host without selecting a date i.e if a host does not have current dates to apply for you cannot message them. Especially now, with the 5 app limit, it would be very useful to have a messaging system that does not require the sitter to block one of the five spaces when they just want to ask a question!
However if a sitter has already applied for a sit -which the host declines without comment- they can still msg that host as the connection, via messaging, has been established. At least it gives the opportunity to tell the host how rude & disrespectful they’ve been!
We’ve got one ‘application’ out for dates we can’t do but we are very interested for later and wanted to establish contact. We have promised them that the minute they respond, either way, we’ll cancel the application to free up the space. 4 days later and they still haven’t ever read our application or confirmed a sitter! So one space remains unnecessarily blocked…

5 Likes

Yep, our latest application in Australia, declined without any note. Very un-Australian (and we are Australian).

Whoops, will probably be disappeared now into exile! That’s an in joke for anyone who has seen this year’s lamb ad for Australia Day on 26 January. Aussie’s will get it but here’s the YouTube link if you are interested and want a laugh! Un-Australia: Australian Lamb film - YouTube

3 Likes

Thanks for clarifying, @Lokstar.

For your one “application,” can’t you withdraw it without waiting for a reply? Your application—and any info provided therein—will still have gone through.

It was suggested on another topic that the HO be allowed to set how many apps for their limit. It’ll be interesting to see if/when TH implements that!

1 Like

I have used THS for 5 years now and I always, always send a message when I decline someone. I hate doing it as, as someone has said above, it is not always easy to tell someone what it is about their profile that doesn’t fit, but often it is just that, that it’s not the right fit. I always thank the sitter for contacting me and wish them happy sitting - it doesn’t take a lot to be polite in that way :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

I’m not sure- if I cancel it before they’ve responded I might lose the connection. But if my msg goes much longer unread then I probably will just cancel it- as it would appear the HO is not very reliable or responsive- which does not bode well for the future!
Re changing the 5 App limit- I don’t think THS has any intention of changing it in any way- despite all the complaints- as their research apparantly shows its having a very positive impact (i’m not sure on whom!)

2 Likes

Also it’s irritating advising us to personalise our applications (which I always do anyway). How many sitters have complained they don’t have the time to even put together a brief application before it is ‘reviewing applications’.
I think lack of courtesy on both sides is due in part to the application limit being implemented. It is now more about speed than quality of application. Just my take on things.

11 Likes

I noticed whilst looking at all three of the advertisements that from previous feedback, the homeowners seem to of gone with house sitters that are on their own.

I had the same experience recently. I noticed after writing a lovely, personalised application and being rejected with no note. It would be so helpful if they’d simply stated a preference for a single sitter on their profile.

4 Likes

I agree with you @Twitcher its both- as I have said above. What I do now- if I see there are already 4 applicants- is to send a quick msg to hold the place with the promise of a proper application to follow. I then take my time to write a proper application. After sending the quick msg I always check the listing and it goes immediately to ‘reviewing applications’ so if it was not me sending a quick ‘holding’ note it would be someone else. The 5 app policy has forced a change of behaviour amongst both sitters and hosts. Its each man for himself these days- pity- it was all much more relaxing for everyone before…

4 Likes

We should ask a HO to help us test. That said, I’d bet the connection will stay. I might have even done this in the past. As an additional note, once the connection is established, I find I can still message HOs even if they don’t have any dates.

I agree on responsive communication; I think that’s my #1 good sign. Or #1 dealbreaker, if you look at it the other way.

As for the 5-app limit, I was trying to be positive. =) @Twitcher did just make a really good point: The 5-app limit makes personalizing applications risky. One option is to send a quick generic application, like:

“I’m applying quickly so I make the 5-app limit. I am now immediately going to work on a longer, more detailed message to explain why I’d love to sit for you and why I think I’d be a great sitter. Stay tuned!”

3 Likes