Do you address the "5" in your application?

Just curious, do you mention the 5-applicant situation when applying?

If so, are HOs indicating that they’re aware, or instead, that this is news to them? It’s a problem for HOs if they don’t know that

A) They will only get 5 at a time, so waiting for more may cause sitters to accept other sits, reducing the chances of finding a good match

B) If they reject applications, but don’t reset the account, they won’t get any more!

So, do ya?

2 Likes

Ninety-five percent of my hosts were unaware.

Yes, this could potentially create issues for them—for instance, if they are waiting for more applicants before responding to applications, which inadvertently delays the entire process.

4 Likes

I’ve never thought to mention it, but I think a lot of HO,s don’t know about it, and just think they’re not getting many applications. Is it even mentioned anywhere in the rules, terms and conditions etc?

3 Likes

@MissChef - I always mention it and to anyone considering joining THS. It is news to practically all of them.

4 Likes

When the stated intention of the policy was too speed up the process.

It is incredible that THS is not communicating this better to the HOs.

3 Likes

Yes, I always mention it. I usually send a short placeholder application initially, and a longer one right afterwards. I know that THS claims that once you start your application, you can continue, but I don’t trust that method. I don’t trust THS, and I don’t trust the technology not to crash, wifi to drop, etc.

6 Likes

you are right to do it that way. I do as well, since the day that I was applying for a sitting in Paris and my message disappeared half way through. It is not true that once you start applying, you cannot lose your space

2 Likes

No.
I trust the process and myself.

2 Likes

Every. Single. Time. @MissChef
Whether I’m actually applying or just sending the “I love your sit but not now” message. The amount of responses that I get with “Five? What?” and “I wondered why everything had seized up” in them is amazing.

PS: Are you deliberately poking the badger or do you think, like me, that THS has given up moving things to the Thread That Must Not Be Mentioned, owing to it being too much to keep up with?

1 Like

No I am trying to protect my investment. As most of us know, many HOs are unaware of the policy. I’ve started mentioning it because they are parked on reviewing applications for weeks.

Unlike others, I have no loyalty to an unconfirmed sit, so…

No reply? Good bye!

3 Likes

I’ve not thought to mention the 5 application limit rule, but you have got me thinking.

What do you say, exactly?

I have got a draft “placeholder” message which addresses the 5 application limit, but haven’t used it as of late as I’ve been using the work around of starting an application if I see a sit of interest to give me a little time to think and do some quick research. It’s worked for me thus far. This is on my laptop, though. I wouldn’t be so trusting on my phone.

1 Like

@Saltrams, I have noticed that as well. I guess the topic which cannot be mentioned affects so many members on a regular basis that it pops up in numerous different threads.

If the new rule had been communicated to all THS members at the time we would have all probably have moved on by now. Personally I feel it was the lack of communication that was the problem and even a year later some members are unaware of it.

4 Likes

Communication would still be easy to fix, but THS does not care.

It seems that home owners see that the status of their dates has gone to “Reviewing” and that is about it. They are just wondering and waiting, they do not know to unpause.

2 Likes

I’m curious, as a PP who has been aware of the 5 from its rollout (but didn’t understand right away how it created a system of 2-3 auto-applications that were useless and 3-2 real ones), how you bring it up in your application?

1 Like

This is how I start my second message:

“Sorry for the rushed message earlier. I wanted to get my application to you before it got paused . don’t know if you are familiar with the 5-app rule on THS, but once a sit reaches 5 applicants, it is paused and nobody new can apply unless the homeowner declines and actively un-pauses the listing. It’s a very unpopular rule that THS implemented without notifying its customers.”

5 Likes

I usually mention it in passing during my first chat with the homeowner. For the most part, they’ve been aware. In reference to THS saying that the “topic which cannot be mentioned” was implemented to keep owners from taking too long to respond to sitters, I applied for a sit over 10 days ago and the owner has yet to even read my application and the listing has had “Reviewing” for over a week now as its status. It’s not currently messing up any other sits I’m interested in, so I’m just letting it stand to see if and when the owner ever gets back to me.

2 Likes

It’s been long enough since implementation that I believe we can safely say that hasn’t been the result.

2 Likes

Lol! Love the name!

It is the Voldemort of THS

2 Likes

I do tell HOs, but usually in person; THS is a natural topic of conversation so that’s when it comes up. Some HOs have known, some haven’t—all have despised it :speak_no_evil:

3 Likes