Does how long the sit has been advertised affect your decision to apply?

November is a long time away in the current climate and people may not necessarily want to commit and then let you down. It is quite a gamble for both parties. Do you advertise early and get a suitable applicant only to hear about the perfect one months down the track? Have a look at your post and see if there is anything in it which might put someone off applying. Are your photos clear and honestly representative of what they will get at your place? For example, did you mention there is no dog door and the sitter will be required to get up at 3am and toilet the pet outside? I bet sitters feel the same way and wish they hadn’t applied so quickly or dithered too long. I am only taking on sits in my own state whereas I had hoped to go further afield but don’t want to risk getting locked out of my own country or having to quarantine for 2 weeks on return at my own expense. So that may be the reason for lack of overseas applicants as well. I have done bespoke applications for sits which have been up for quite a while only to find out it has been filled and the home owner has not removed the post after selecting someone days and days ago.

1 Like

Thank you all for your replies, even though most of them were not actually answers to the original question, I do now have a sitter for the November sit……

1 Like

I take the view just because I applied for the sit doesn’t mean I can’t pally for others with approximately the same dates. If I get the first one great. If I get the third one fantastic and I message the rest that I am no longer available.
I have had replies after two weeks asking if I’m still available and getting the peach of the sit. It just takes some pet owners longer than others to make up their minds. There might be other things going on in their lives or busy with family and work. Yes, a nice note saying I’ll get back to you would be good but that also takes time. It’s the ones who reject the application without even reading it or no explanation that gets my back up. They go on a “never apply again” list.
Elsie

1 Like

Hi Folder13, that is such good news thank you for sharing.

Conversations often develop further but thank you for asking the question which started a great conversation and I hope helped you for this sit and future ones.

Thank you again.

Wales is truly beautiful… but I’m biased!

2 Likes

@TheMapleKiwi
As far as I am aware you can now travel to the Islands, but like everywhere that can change.
There is a sit in Orkney begging to be noticed. I would have applied but the end date crosses with the start date of a sit I’m committed to. Shame cos Orkney is a great place.

1 Like

Hi Fyfie & @TheMapleKiwi here is the latest news from Travel Scotland … I hope it gives you the information you are looking for.

@Angela_L
thanks for this Angela
F.

1 Like