Does TH email sitters regarding cleaning before departure?

Sorry to hear about your recent experience. I think it’s pretty much down to the individual as to how thoroughly they clean (maybe this can be encouraged by instructions, but these could also be ignored). Perhaps it will require some discernment in selecting someone who has a bit more experience and whose priority is to look after the home and animals, rather than to explore the area. As you know, most house sitters are conscientious and will leave the house in as good (if not better) condition as they found it, but there will be exceptions, unfortunately.

2 Likes

I would love to choose only experienced sitters! But more and more applicants are new members and it’s MUCH harder to find an experienced sitter this past year compared to before.

That said, we had new members that were traveling last summer and they were absolutely amazing, I regularly check their availability and where they are in the world as would love to have them back.

We had a reminder for our first sit in July but we then finished a second sit yesterday and there was no reminder - I thought perhaps it had stopped as part of some of the changes taking place on the site? Don’t really feel it is necessary as we would take it as read that we needed to clean before departure but it would be good to know if it is still happening or not.

Hi @OutNumbered I know it’s natural for a pet owners first choice to be an experienced sitter, I was that owner who overlooked young sitters until I experienced “young” perfection. …

I am so happy that you had a great new sitter experience. … Just for some perspective. I have been a full time sitter since the company started and as you can imagine I have PLENTY of reviews (I always want more which I wear like a badge of honor for a job well done"

My first review was as positive as my last because my motivation, dedication, care of homes and pets has not changed, my care and commitment was exactly the same then as it is now.

It’s not about age or experience as a sitter, there are many who have honed their pet and housesitting skills with F&F and other platforms, who have cared for their own pets and homes over the years, who have the most amazing pet care skills and are 100% responsible with home care.

As you’ve discovered and thank you for sharing, It’s about attitude, ability, commitment and more. Every experienced sitter was a TrustedHousesitters “newbie” once upon a time and that’s the truth, not a fairy tale. :wink: Thank you again.

We always thoroughly clean the entire home or apartment before we leave. And depending on the HO’s arrival time and circumstances, we’ve made dinner for them or basic leave food items. We know what it’s like to get home exhausted after a long trip.

1 Like

As a sitter, I don’t remember getting such a reminder. I cannot even think of leaving the place in a mess. Even though my previous HO stated that no cleaning is required due to the scheduled cleaning lady visit, I still try to leave the place in the same condition or even a bit cleaner than it was when I arrived. It’s just a matter of being a civilised human…

1 Like

THS have excelled again. I received an email this morning at 9.33am, stating that I needed to start cleaning.
I was still travelling there and arrived about an hour later. This just proves that these emails are not necessary.

1 Like

No, there is no email, but I’d never leave a house dirty and messy.

@andrealovesanimals We certainly got an email towards the end of our first sit but nothing for the second. Perhaps it just goes out for the first sit? The Home Owners also got a message before the sit reminding them to clean their house in preparation although they had used THS once before. Perhaps its random?

@LizBCN I received my first reminder to clean email in late July towards the end of my latest pet sit. This after almost 10 years and lots of 5 star sits on TrustedHousesitters :rofl: I thought maybe it was something new marketing was rolling out. We’ll see if I get another one at the end of my current sit.

1 Like

Hi @Kate_K@LizBCN@andrealovesanimals @Karen_E I’ve had these reminders over past year but I usually ignore them now as I am one of those who always leaves better than found :smiling_face: like you Kate.

For clarity, I’ve grabbed a screenshot from the marketing CRM team to share here with this feedback. “It is sent to people even if they are opted out of marketing - however if they have unsubscribed from email they will not receive it.”

Hope that helps.

1 Like

@Vanessa_A I’ve been house sitting with THS since 2018 and I have never received one of these. Not that I would read it anyway :wink:

@SandC @anon1411559 how strange… I haven’t had the review reminders for a while now but have had this one. Another email mystery :person_shrugging:. Will feedback.

Hi @Vanessa_A, as this is on the Sitter-Owner Exchange thread, could you also source from the team the email that owners also are meant to receive in relation to preparing their home for their upcoming sitter please? Just so both parties are aware it happens (albeit very randomly)!

Yes, I had this for my first sit ending in July and then a subsequent sit of 5 weeks ending late August there was nothing. I am not bothered either way as it goes without saying we would clean but I was just curious why we got one and not the other even though none of my settings have changed.

I’ll bookmark this for Monday @temba when the wider team are back and @LizBCN I understand, it’s frustrating when there’s not consistency. The only thing I wonder is that there is a difference between the one I’ve found in my inbox archive and this newer version, so maybe it was switched off a while during updating. I’ll check and let you know what they say.

We receive the Cleaning reminder almost every other sit and to be honest its really annoying! We are always super conscientious about leaving the home beautifully clean and do not need to be told what to do. It feels condescending. We sometimes have to clean, even deep clean, homes before we can settle into the Sit and then I wonder if the hosts too receive emails about preparing their homes beautifully for their sitters? We feel disrespected when we enter a dirty home where the host has made little or no effort. Fortunately it does not happen often…

1 Like

Hi @Vanessa_A I’ve never received that email

It seems to be hit and miss. For our first sit we got the email (as did the home owners) but for the second the following month there was nothing. It’s not important for us as we would always make sure to leave a clean and tidy home so don’t need a reminder but the inconsistency is annoying!

As a HO I hate receiving an email reminding me that my house should be cleaned, its an insult really, my house is always clean the floors are steam cleaned and for the first time ever in my experience of house sitters my last sitters didn’t clean. I came home to 3 weeks of dust and the tiled floors downstairs, after 3 weeks of dog paws paddling across them, was an awful sight. I think if HO have to be told so should sitters.

1 Like