Does TH email sitters regarding cleaning before departure?

So sorry to hear that, and I hope you reflected your disappointment in your review.
Sitters do receive emails as well but as we have mentioned before it is not consistent. Sometimes we do and sometimes we don’t. One sitter I know received the cleaning email before she had even arrived!
I also find them condescending as I don’t need to be told to leave the home as I find it (or better). Sitters who don’t have high standards wouldn’t pay attention to the email anyway.

3 Likes

I did note it under Tidy in the review they were not pleased but it had to be said. I agree with you, but after this experience maybe I can manage not to feel so bad when I get an email telling me to get cleaning, not everyone are like us.

@Champfleurie We,as sitters, receive the same email occasionally- not for every sit- and it irritates us too- every time!! We ALWAYS leave a home as clean, or cleaner, than we found it! We too feel insulted as 60 somethings- to be reminded of such basics!
But clearly not all sitters, or hosts!!, have our standards! I’m sorry you’ve had a negative experience of sitters not cleaning- that’s just disrespectful. Unfortunately we’ve had the same experience (a few times) of arriving at a home that has not been cleaned for us! The current sit (our 55th!!) Is one of those that required 2 hours of deep cleaning before we could settle in.
I hear you…:woozy_face::pray:

1 Like

We’ve just had our HOs ask us to not worry about the extensive cleaning list that we get sent before we leave their place?! In 15 months of full time house sitting we have never seen that list….? Has anyone else and what does it ask for? We always clean a house before we finish & leave it cleaner than we found it out of good manners.

Nope, been sitting over 2.5 years and never seen it.

1 Like

I think this has been discussed at length in this and other threads.

If the link doesn’t work please use the magnifying glass at the top of the page to search.
I receive the email occasionally but not every time - very hit and miss.

We’ve received it a number of times and it drives me nuts! Feels irritating & condescending to sitters like us (age 59+60) to be told to clean up after ourselves!!
From memory… it reminds you to make sure to clean up after yourself especially the kitchen & bathroom, strip beds, maybe wash bedding? empty bins & give ‘Fido’ a pat on the head before leaving!! (Something like that- i haven’t had one in a few months) We ALWAYS leave the home as clean, or cleaner, than we found it. I can only imagine there have been enough complaints from hosts about sitters not leaving a home in a good state to justify such an email being sent out!
Having gone into a few less than clean homes I do always wonder if HOSTS also receive this email?.. in preparation of their sitters?!
Another rather unnecessary email- at least to us as constant nomadic globetrotters- is one we received this week about our ‘upcoming international sit’ - in Singapore- flying tomorrow- a reminder, amongst other things, to make sure we have enough vaildity on our passport! and the relevant visas! :woozy_face: I’m sure that IS useful for some (newer to travel) sitters but we travel constantly, and all through Covid when it was very complex to travel, so are expert at checking all possible travel requirements for the destination…

A bit late to worry about visas and things 2 days before an international sit!

Thanks for the info. Yes us too, full time nomadic and all through covid, if the passport isn’t valid the day before you leave it’s probably not looking great…:rofl::rofl: We’ve had it twice in the last week!!

A fellow sitter was on the way to a short sit and received the exit cleaning email before she had even arrived!

1 Like

Really?

Sitters need an email to remind them to clean up after themselves? I would take such an email as an insult to my intelligence and social awareness. It’s common courtesy to leave the home as it was found or sometimes better. All responsible sitters should know this by instinct no matter their age.

3 Likes

@ElsieDownie I absolutely agree! It feels insulting. Sounds like you have not received one of these emails. We received them so frequently at one stage that I complained on another thread and now I rarely get them.
And @twitcher we’ve also received them before arrival too! Double insulting!

@Lokstar I’ve had a few of these over the years and just :roll_eyes:. However, the instructions about bedding (I can’t remember it exactly) stands out for me.

There is an extremely long post (search key words, for those interested) on opinions on the topic of sheets and towels.

I hope the current version of that email does not instruct sitters as to what do about bedding and towels, other than to ask beforehand and come to an understanding. :blush:

We bring our own linen (sheets and towels) makes it easy for everyone :slight_smile:

Well, I received such an email just this week. For all of you that is wondering…and @Snowbird, yes, it still says to launder the bedding.

Thanks for tagging me #botvot. @Angela_L please bring this email to the attention of the appropriate staff for review. The first check box is also an issue, given many members do not appear to arrive to a ‘clean and tidy’ ‘well-kept space’. I hope there is a parallel email for owners, before a sitter arrives, which will also likely need a refresher.

Members and @LaStrega, please do not address ‘sheets & towels’ here. There is already an exhaustive discussion of it. If, after searching those key words and finding the post and you feel you have something new to add, please comment there.

Hi @Snowbird there is a parallel email and check list for pet parents/owners

The checklists sit side by side on the Blog

1 Like

What’s wrong with pointing out that I bring my own sheets and towels ? I honestly don’t have the time to "research " months of posting , plu I thought one can express his/her opinion. If you don’t like a reply/post don’t read it.

@Angela_L I just read your Owner checklist above and it is very comprehensive but clearly not read by some of the owners we’ve sat for. I can recall more than one recent sit where not a single one of the points could be checked, not even enough food supplies for the pets. It was just like they walked out of the door to go shopping and didn’t come back. Totally insulting & disrepectful. We had to beg for our review and we still haven’t written a feedback. Probably should do that but we were just glad to get away…

@Lokstar, both the owner and sitter “cleaning” email are only randomly sent out! In the many sits I have done, none of my hosts or I have received this email. Chances are those hosts never received one!

1 Like