Drawer/closet space

This is really interesting. I have a dedicated room for my house sitters. Plenty of storage space and no personal belongings of mine. Curiously a sitter will often comment on there being bedside lamps! I like to leave a mostly empty fridge, just eggs milk etc as I find that most don’t really want to eat the food that I eat. I would add that village shops are a short walk. I hadn’t really thought about freezer space but will certainly remember for the future. I have a new sitter arriving tomorrow (outside the dates confirmed as it seems really difficult changing confirmed dates) so I must go check the freezer for space.!! It’s good to see opinions as I like to think of my home being comfortable for house sitters and there are some interesting insights.

13 Likes

You have just described the attentiveness of a kind and considerate host @Leoandme, your sitter will enjoy your thoughtful welcome and a great stay.
Thank you.

3 Likes

We always try to leave some good food in the fridge but also plenty of space for the sitter to put their own things in the fridge and freezer. I also like to leave a spiral notebook on the counter with some pens and directions for feeding our kitty cats, so they don’t have to look up in the welcome guide straight away.

4 Likes

After our first sitter, I thought about the space issue and started leaving space in the closet, at least 2 empty wardrobe drawers, and I clean and make room in the fridge and freezer and only leave things I know the sitter may use like condiments and staples and things we have that will not go bad while we’re on vacation. One sitter mentioned that this was considerate of me in her feedback and I just thought I’d love to have some space if I was sitting for a while. Most of our travels last anywhere from 4 days to 2 weeks so I’m sure they would want to get comfortable over 2 weeks.

6 Likes

Yes. This is very considerate of you. If sitters are only there for a weekend, it is not a big deal to live out of a suitcase, but having space for your personal stuff is always appreciated. I once did a sit in a small house with no space to put away my belongings. I was also told to make sure that I zipped up my suitcase because the cat peed in the suitcase of their last sitter to spite the owner for leaving. I had to keep my stuff closed up in the bathroom so that did not happen to me since that was the only space with a door that closed.

1 Like

We have had all ranges of storage for clothing and refrigerator/freezer. It is amazing how people leave for a week or two with a fridge full of food that will spoil. I usually freeze several items for them.

3 Likes

Hi @Bcooley welcome to our community forum and thank you for joining in the conversation, we’re looking forward to getting to know our members better and help them connect with each other.

We hope we “see” much more of you and share in your THS adventures.

Angela & The Team

1 Like

@Leoandme - please can I sit for you :grin: You sound like my perfect home owner :smiley:

2 Likes

@Lindsay, do you bring wellies/mucking boots when you do chicken or farm sits? These make it hard to pack light. So far, on sits when I’ve needed them, I drove my own car. Would you share your packing list? Thanks!

1 Like

If I don’t have the car I always travel with my walking boots on - no matter the weather.
We too use a convenient room to put luggage in so we are not falling on top of it. I always mention that I do an online shop for sits of one week or over and that seems to concentrate the pet owners mind about space.
I rent out my flat on Airbnb when I’m travelling (I’m very lucky, or unlucky, to live in a holiday hotspot) so I am very aware of how travellers appreciate empty kitchen cupboards, wardrobes and drawers. My pet hate is the owners stuff lying around the bathroom or bedroom surfaces. They get quickly packed away when I first arrive. I’ve struck it lucky this sit. The pet owners have just decorated their spare bedroom and made a beautiful walk in closet in an alcove, all empty. They had a party a couple of days before they left and she sent me a picture of the contents of the fridge and I was told to tuck in……yum. Sometimes you get lucky….

1 Like

This has been a fascinating thread for me as a HO. I can’t even contemplate that some people would not leave some wardrobe and drawer space, bathroom shelf space, or fridge and cupboard, and we only have a small cottage. I read the guidance for preparing things for sitters above, and I think the only thing I am guilty of is sometimes not giving the oven a deep clean (now I feel mortified!) and maybe not leaving enough freezer space (that is on my list for next time). I leave toiletries, towels, change of bedding etc, and basics (and some not so basics) in the fridge, and an open invitation to use anything in the pantry, the drinks cupboard, or the wine fridge. We have outside animals and have a selection of wellies for visitors, but have been known to buy new wellies for sitters if we don’t have their size! I have often felt bad having HS when our kitchen ceiling is only half painted, or now when we know the double glazing in the kitchen is tired and is not yet replaced, and when our garden is not pristine, but those are the things that would not bother me too much. This is a very enlightening conversation!

5 Likes

Forget the ceiling, the borrowed wellies must be so much appreciated. I don’t know how many times I’ve had to scrub my walking boots.
As a sitter I appreciate some space for clothes and an uncluttered bedroom and bathroom to use. Anything that looks expensive gets put away and I look for the everyday glasses and dishes to use. I’m not a clumsy person but I’d hate to think I broke a heirloom.
Your preparation sounds great.
Elsie

4 Likes

@ElsieDownie , maybe I should get some boots that are comfortable enough to wear everywhere like you. My mucking boots fit loose and were inexpensive - not enough support for daily wear. The places I’ve sat have offered their boots to me but I still brought my own just in case ( and had to clean them before I could repack them.)
@Boodie , your sitters are very fortunate. You do a great prep. I wouldn’t require a deep-cleaned oven unless it was loaded with cooked-on food (and I tend to be on the ultra clean side).

3 Likes

A pair of Merrill are expensive but like wearing your slippers. I treated myself to a pair of their walking sandals this spring. They’re never off my feet.

1 Like

If an owner doesn’t have drawer or closet space, it would be very helpful if they had a luggage stand. I’m ok living out of a suitcase just don’t want to have to open it on the floor or the bed. Of course drawer and closet space are very much appreciated (as long as they’re functional). A recent sit provided a dresser but the pulls/knobs kept falling off. Sometimes the guest room has all the cast offs.

Many HO have provided me a whole guest room with empty drawers. Especially on the longer sits it’s so nice to have!
This current sit of 5 months did not provide drawers so I got some used plastic drawers for $15 and just popped them in the bedroom. It’s so important to be flexible.

3 Likes

@Leoandme , you are such a considerate HO.
I so appreciate a comfortable guest bedroom with good bedside lamps. In a perfect world, I would like a good bed-not one with a cheap foam mattress topper that holds heat, nice medium height pillows, good bedside lamps for reading w/ rheostat, dimmer or 3-way bulb, bedside tables without knick knacks so I have room for my phone, water bottle, etc. a luggage stand or surface where I can open my suitcase, light-blocking shades, shutters or curtains on the windows and dimmer switches on ceiling lights. In the bathroom, please have window coverings or frosted glass and a night light and/or dimmer switch. That’s my wish list. My pet peeve is bedrooms and bathrooms without window coverings.

@mars Im flattered that you think I’m organized enough to have a packing list :joy:

I travel extremely light, I throw a few things in a bag and away I go. Off the top of my head… a few items of good durable clothing (socks, t’s etc. are merino wool so I can get away without doing laundry every day), basic toiletries, small first aid kit, a couple of books, a headlamp, my laptop and camera. I usually go on sits abroad and hate feeling weighed down with stuff so will do pretty much anything to avoid having to check and haul baggage around!

I wear good quality hiking shoes to travel & stuff a pair of low profile trail runners in my bag.

While I like to keep things minimal all that said if I do have a vehicle (I sometimes rent or buy one when I’m going to be in one place for a few months) I usually end up accumulating some stuff along the way but I try really hard not to.

When it comes to wellies, many farm sits will have a selection to borrow and if not I just pick up a cheap pair for the time being - I’d much rather fork out a few pounds for the convenience and leave them to be donated to the next person than carry them around.

4 Likes

I believe my home ticks all those boxes, however it took me a while to refine it. When I first used THS some years ago i wasn’t nearly so organised. I want to enjoy my holiday free from thoughts about my sitter so making a good space and knowing they are comfortable and enjoying their stay as much as I am enjoying my time away. I am fortunate to have a reasonable sized home so the space is not an issue. If the sitter is relaxed and happy then my cats will be has been my thoughts. I have had a number of sitters return for 2nd and 3rd sits so I now think that I must be getting it right. I am fortunate to have forged some good friendships with sitters that continue. I look forward enormously to Australia being open once again to tourists and travel as I am hoping for some great adventures overseas.

6 Likes

@Leoandme, as you say it is a learning experience with the ultimate aim of a successful sit with happy pets, happy sitters, peace of mind and guilt free travel for happy owners, so that everyone has the best experience possible and you have done just that, thank you for sharing your “recipe” for success.