Forum member reactions, sadness and silliness

I wish everyone would understand and acknowledge that this Forum consists of both homeowners and housesitters from aaaall over the world. What works in one country can be COMPLETELY different to what works in another country. How one nationality acts and do things can be completely different to another. Completely different. I read some posts and my jaw drops as some things posted I would never dream of doing or not doing. I have travelled to more countries than I dare to count and met so many people, rarely are they the “same” as me. Aussies have a broad, dry sense of humour which is often misinterpreted but it’s who we are. This type of diversity is what makes the world go round.

No two countries are the same, despite most of us speaking English, that’s where the similarities sometimes end. Lately it does seem that a lot of members are really pushing their own beliefs on people in a rather aggressive manner at times. The forum is about discussion and helping people out, not trying to “convince” people that your way is the only way. We need to broaden our way of responding with respect, understanding and accountability at times.

So, really, why don’t we all just get back to basics and maybe try to think outside the box and accept that we DO come from different countries and we DO have different thoughts and ideas. Let’s express ourselves in a more considerate manner and stop trying to “prove we are right”. We aren’t always right, or wrong, but everyone has a right to an opinion, whether you agree with it or not. Human nature as it is, we usually do like to think we are always right, but sometimes we just aren’t. Let’s accept that and move on to something else if it appears to be going nowhere. Move on.

So I hope I don’t sound rude or condescending or anything else you wish to call it, I just think that travellers as we mostly are, we are better than what I’ve seen written lately. Let’s be kinder in a world that at present isn’t so :pleading_face:

Rant over. :kangaroo:

33 Likes

Great sentiments @ziggy - debate, discussion, information, advice and support are all part of a forum. Not all of it we will love but it’s never personal and often incredibly useful. :raised_hands:t3::raised_hands:t3:

5 Likes

Hey @ziggy
I watched “One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest” last week.
Hadn’t seen it in years.
I never realized that the one who managed to escape the insane asylum was the one who pretended to be deaf and dumb.

X

2 Likes

@Amparo so I should be that person who escaped lol? :wink::joy:

1 Like

You should be you and no one else Period.

Don’t allow anyone to disturb you.

5 Likes

@Cuttlefish I totally agree, and it is the never personal and totally useful bit I am directing my post at :heavy_heart_exclamation: Unfortunately I personally see some interacting simply to constantly try to prove someone else is wrong, not discussing or problem solving and with no intent to do so. Just my observations :thinking:

4 Likes

Not only is the forum a great source for information, it provides support. People should feel free to ask for help and feedback and talk about problems they’ve encountered.

We all know email communications can sometimes seem unduly severe because we don’t hear tone or see body language. For those people who tend to be straightforward and direct, consider softening your message so it’s not taken wrong.

If a post seems unkind or insensitive, there are two options: Ignore it or send a note to one of the moderators

We’re all friends here.

10 Likes

C’mon Ziggy! Aussies speaking English!!!

1 Like

@Ken, yes “Aussie English”, we have our very own English language :joy::kangaroo:

1 Like

Hi @ziggy. Thanks so much for making this topic. Perhaps it will become one we can link to when other topics start getting too, uh, flamey (yeah just made that up).

I was thinking of further practical advice that I find helpful:

• Wait one sleep cycle to reply. E.g., a day. When I get an email (including forum emails), I often read it and then send it to a folder/label “handle after 1 day.” I may make some notes in an email draft, but I won’t send it until after a day.
    • You can also do this in the forums with the “bookmark” feature/button. For any topic, you can make a bookmark for any date and it’ll remind you later. Sometimes I’ll also have a draft saved for that topic, or I’ll do it in my Notes app since I feel that’s less likely to be accidentally deleted.
    • After waiting, I often decide not to reply at all. I said what I wanted to say, and I don’t think I’ll convince so-and-so. Or wouldn’t be worth the energy, if you prefer. Think of the big picture/meta. If two people both want to have the last word, someone’s got to man up. (Man down?)
    • A totally different option is to engage, but constructively. For me, this would be a DM (direct message) requesting a video chat via Google Meet, Zoom, etc. A video chat provides so much more beyond-written info: it’s just easier to connect/empathize/communicate. Even if we disagree after a video chat, at least we can be sure that we disagree. :joy:

Anyway, that’s what works for me. (And in case anyone’s wondering, I’ve been posting less for a while now, mostly because I want to get back to coding/programming. Just had to make time choices.)

8 Likes

@geoff.hom love your new word, “flamey” :wink: As per usual, your words are well thought out and written. You are so methodical and organised! I envy you! I think you have raised some points worth absorbing and personally, I will be doing so. I particularly like your method of waiting a day to react or not react, human nature puts us into defence mode I think when replying rapidly to a post.

It has been mentioned to me elsewhere that I can simply mute a discussion that is stirring me up so that is what I have started doing today. A shame it has to come to that though, we are all adults.

Thanks for your considerate and thought provoking words, your input is always well received.

3 Likes

My last two sitters were from Aussie, absolutely fantastic. Politically we weren’t on the same planet (not that we argued) but I can’t speak more highly of them. What struck me most was that they were realistic, no wishy washy sensitivities but pragmatic in every sense. I did read your ‘rant’ , well most of it before I fell asleep! Very thought provoking!!!

@Ken sorry I kept you up. I can assure you I am far from wishy washy, I could certainly give you a good run for your money, they make us tough Downunder :wink: What’s the old saying, never discuss politics or religion. Glad you enjoyed and had a positive experience with my fellow Aussie sitters.

1 Like

@ziggy politics, football and religion in my family! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Thanks for this post, I feel exactly the same way. Certain members (who have not posted in this thread so far) seem to run the show and tell others not to post in threads when they disagree with something… and it seems like they can’t be stopped!?

I for one would not post about any problems that might make me vulnerable on the forum. There are too many posts with the kind of message “it’s your own fault, you did everything wrong, you are just a bad house sitter / pet owner / person”. No, thanks.

5 Likes

@Timshazz yes!:+1: Forgot about the footie lol

1 Like

@andrealovesanimals couldn’t agree with you more :heartpulse::kangaroo:

2 Likes

I really hear you on this, Andrea. A few months back, I was in a real predicament on an overseas sit and I reached out on here for some advice and tips etc. Fortunately, I’d say well over 90% of the contributions to my post were overwhelmingly supportive and helpful. However, I did have several comments that felt quite the opposite. I actually felt quite condescended to by a few of the contributions and they just weren’t even remotely helpful given the very challenging situation I was in at the time. It would’ve been better for them to have refrained from saying anything.

Like you, I now think twice before posting for any support/advice if I’m ever in a sticky situation on a sit.

5 Likes

I’m sorry you have had that happen to you too. If in future you find yourself in need of support or an opinion, you’re welcome to PM me.

3 Likes

Ah thanks, Andrea. Likewise :hugs:

1 Like