Friday 13th - Are You Superstitious?

It’s so interesting how these superstitions are taught us as kids and how strongly we take them onboard - I guess these days it’s less common… I’ve never met anyone else who has known about the cracks … and have never heard the “break your mother’s back” so thanks for that!! We lived in London, and Nan always told me to avoid the pavement cracks … I still do that when in cities!! I thought that was just a bit of fun :slight_smile: Glad to hear you have offers on your property! What’s next ??

2 Likes

@anon49809275 , I was told the same superstitions as you. I’ve worked in several operating rooms. None of them had a room 13. I scoff at the fear of the number 13 and actually favor the number. I have two dear friends whose birthdays are on February 13 and had another (before she passed away) whose birthday was April 13. So how could it be bad? If you want to talk about Chinese superstitions, there’s an interesting topic. The Chinese word for death sounds like the number 4. And the word for prosperity sounds like the word for the number 8. I assume it’s still so, but way back when I lived in the LA area where there was a neighborhood nearby that had a large Chinese population. There were no addresses or streets that had 4s in them. Anything with the number 8 was favored. Feng shui was important too — people did not want houses that had a front door that opened up onto stairs that went to the second floor because evil spirits could come in and have access to the upstairs.

4 Likes

Hi @Amparo I bought another home (different city) in July 2021 before I actually had my other home put on the market for sale. There are some sellers who make the sale of their homes contingent on their ability to get a. new home under contract. I did not do that. I had been looking for over a year to relocate and am enjoying my new place. You ever hear the saying “Where you are is where you are supposed to be.” I have felt like that my entire life. Some places we go and live for a season; the same with people–some people come into our lives. Some we know them for a season–some we know for a lifetime. We all have a purpose: whether to learn or to teach.

2 Likes

Hi @Vanessa_A Now I am just waiting for the inspection to be done this week & just praying all goes well. :smiley:

1 Like

Hi @mars Do you think because “The Chinese word for death sounds like the number 4” is the reason there were no addresses with 4s in them? Also because the word for 'prosperity sounds like the word for the number 8 that addresses were favored that contained an 8? Amazing how superstitions are in different parts of the world? Do you think it is cultural or regional?

Yes, no one wants to be associated with the unluckiest number, 4. The Chinese word for death (si)sounds like the Chinese word for the number four (si). The difference is only in the tone. The Chinese word for prosperity (fa) rhymes with the Chinese word for the number eight (ba). They both have the same tone. Because Chinese is a tonal language, meaning individual words have their own inflections, the same word with a different tone has a completely different meaning. An illustration of that is the phrase, Mama ma ma, which means, mother scolds the horse. Eight is the luckiest number. The Beijing Olympics opened on 8/8/08.

1 Like

Yes! Very much so.

The Power of Now, living in the present moment. Everything is impermanent, always changing. Resistance is futile.
I have been told that I am not “grounded”. To me that is another “what does that mean?” Everywhere I am, I am.
Congratulations on your happiness.

2 Likes

@Amparo “I have been told that I am not “grounded”

Only you can tell you whether you are or are not something. No one else walks in your shoes.

2 Likes

@Amparo Oh, and thank you! :smiley:

2 Likes

I’ve always considered ladybugs to bring good luck. When I climbed the Great Wall of China and reached the top, a ladybug appeared on my hand. That evening, I received an email bringing very good news.

5 Likes

Will keep everything crossed for you :crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers:

1 Like

If anything, Friday the 13th has always been a pretty good day for me.

I’ve been on one cruise in my life. We went through the Bermuda triangle on Friday the 13th, there was a full moon and a storm at sea. If I was going to have any bad luck, that would have been the time for it!

2 Likes

It always fascinates me that there is no number 13 in elevators in the USA and some other countries around the world because it is considered unlucky and Otis elevators company estimates that 85% of the buildings with their elevators do not have a named 13th floor.

4 Likes