Friday 13th - Are You Superstitious?

“I don’t believe in superstitions. I just do certain things because I’m scared in case something will happen if I don’t do them.”

It’s Friday 13th … are you superstitious in any way?

Do any of these apply to you, do you have another superstition or is it all just an old wives tale?

1. Friday the 13th: Bad Luck
2. Itchy Palm: Good Luck
3. Walking Under a Ladder: Bad Luck
4. Breaking a Mirror: Bad Luck
5. Finding a Horseshoe: Good Luck
6. Opening an Umbrella Inside: Bad Luck
7. Knock Twice on Wood: Reverse Bad Luck
8. Tossing Spilled Salt Over Your Shoulder: Good Luck

1 Like

In my family (British) crossing on the stairs was always bad luck. I can’t get past that, but in Canada (where I live) I have yet to meet anyone who seems to be aware of this. It means when I wait patiently at the bottom of a stairs - say in someone’s home, not in busy public locations - people just look at me and wonder what’s going on. The rare time I do ‘let my guard down’ as I don’t want to explain, it just makes me uncomfortable. Silly, I know, but I haven’t grown out of it. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

All of above :roll_eyes: plus same as @Snowbird with crossing on stairs (much to Ian’s amusement). I do also twirl a money spider three times round my head on occasion, and always greet Mr Magpie (although often in my head not out loud) :joy: All of these ingrained in me as a child by my nan and never forgotten!!

2 Likes

My mum used to say not to put new shoes on a table or else you would have bad luck, so to this day I never have…just in case!

2 Likes

We were always told as kids that if a black cat crossed the road or path ahead of you it’s good luck. I’d totally forgotten the black cat at a wedding… as a young bridesmaid I had a black cat hanging trinket to present to my aunt the bride, as she emerged from the church!

4 Likes

I’m not superstitious at all. I remember being pooped on by a bird when I was about 10, my mum said it was good luck and I was so disappointed when nothing magical happened! I will always take a Friday over a Monday - and apparently, it’s cheaper to fly on Friday the 13th so that’s a bonus!

3 Likes

Shoes on the bed
Article of clothing on inside out don’t change it
If two bad things happen break a match in half
Never say “bless you” after someone sneezes - it’s a bad spirits leaving the body thing

Gosh it’s a wonder I made it this far in my life :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Woohoo!

3 Likes

:joy: :rofl:
It’s a miracle!

1 Like

I am so blessed :innocent: :cat2:

Black cats … LOVE them!

Only good things happen with cats except at three in the morning when they bring a trophy home!! :heart_eyes_cat:

1 Like

:rofl: we are so conditioned!

Having been born on Friday 13th I’ve always found it to be lucky for me and I chose 13 whenever possible… Don’t really think about any of the others apart from not walking under ladders…… but that’s for safety reasons really!

2 Likes

HI @Foldor13 THANK YOU I almost forgot Friday the 13th is lucky for me also … it’s my wonderful daughter’s birthday too. Due on the 15th she arrived on the 13th.

Thank you again!!

2 Likes

Len’s my purrfect Friday the 13th sitting company :heart_eyes_cat:
No bad luck here, not sure about the yellow head next to him though!

2 Likes

My “alarm clock” is Oscar.

1 Like

Having been living with a black cat for the past 15 years my girlfriend and I can certainly vouch that they are not back luck. And seeing as we’ve been happy and well for all those years (and more) I dare say they do bring good luck. :hugs:

3 Likes

There is a lovely home I have seen listed on THS that has a large umbrella opened permanently in the living room. As nice as that sit looked, I would feel too uncomfortable with an open umbrella in the house. What I always heard is it’s ok to open an umbrella in the house but not ok to get under it!

2 Likes

Hi @ Vanessa-Admin I was told the opposite as a kid–that it was bad luck to cross a black cat’s path. I did not see many as a kid, but when I did, I tried avoiding them at all costs. Yes, I do find myself superstitious–things that stemmed from my childhood:

1. Don’t step on a crack, you will break your Mother’s back. Whenever, I walk on a sidewalk, I avoid the cracks;
  2. Knock on wood–to keep evil at bay
  3. Find a penny will bring good luck. I still pick up pennies
  4. Yes @Angela_L Friday, the 13th, I see as bad luck. I try to avoid doing anything on that day. When my home was listed on August 13 which is a Friday, I kept thinking this may not be a good sign. Weeks and weeks went by with not one offer. My Realtor kept saying, “Don’t worry it will sell.” Just a few days ago, 2 offers came in. Whether Friday, the 13th is bad luck or not, I still cannot shake the eerie feeling of something going wrong.
2 Likes

So shake it off!
And do tell, what will you do now that you’re “homeless”? :joy: @sharondc
There’s a song :notes: there I’m sure…:roll_eyes: