Full-time Sitters

Go for it. It’s absolutely wonderful.

1 Like

Best thing I’ve ever done and I’ve done a lot.
Yes there are challenges and lots of stuff to figure out but then it flows. The benefits far out weigh the cons.
You find your rhythm and what works for you.

3 Likes

Someone looks like to ready to camp… lol

Ed,

I will be so glad when I finally gain nerves to travel abroad solo. Right now, I’m taking baby steps and doing house sits in the U.S. Thank you for sharing and stay safe…

Hi, I think we need to be cautious about travel to house-sits while Covid is still a big issue. If you are going somewhere just for recreation it is very annoying if you are delayed, or have to cancel, but if you are going abroad for a sit there is a responsibility to get there on time.
In our situation, where we don’t have a permanent home, it will be complicated if either of us get ill or need to isolate. So we’re staying in the UK. Not complaining as we’ve had wonderful sits here past 18 months. But Spain, France and Portuagal are beckoning (and maybe the USA in a year or two).
Cheers,

1 Like

Hi all. So great to connect with fellow travellers living this “weird” lifestyle. I love TH and the connections I’ve made so far, mostly at home. I’ve found homeowners are still a little more comfortable with local sitters so I haven’t yet been accepted for many away sits. Looking forward to more travels to come!

Thank you all for sharing your experiences. Do you find most of your sits through TH? I have been asked back to all of my sits and they have told their friends about me which have resulted in news sits also. Any other resources you would recommend for finding new sits?

1 Like

there is a forum topic called Other Housesitting Sites or something similar. If you are sitting in one country for the time being you may want to try some of the country specific platforms that are mentioned there

1 Like

Thanks @liz :slight_smile:

Hi Jodi;
Happy to say my weird life is no longer weird, at least to me. I have been weirdly happy with THS since 2018. I started with another company but have found there is no need for anything else. My weird life has now evolved into an extraordinary life that has led me to places, people, animals and experiences there are no words for.
Best wishes in your experiences.

6 Likes

I love connecting with fellow “weird lifers”. So excited to hear you are living an extraordinary life @Amparo :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

Our full time ‘weird’ life began last week…as far as we can tell, this is absolutely the BEST time of our lives!!!

5 Likes

I will say this @Joanne the time came for me and I think it will come to you as well, where you might ask yourself, “Why did I ever think this was weird and why did I wait so long?” but just let that pass and enjoy every moment wherever it may lead because it gets better and better.
I have found that what we experience and the direction that we take is as unique and varied as we all are but you find this delicious rhythm that is absolutely perfect for you.

4 Likes

@Amparo Haha…I NEVER thought it was weird…just following along with the verbiage of others. We were made for this lifestyle, just had to wait until he was fully retired. Putting all our belongings in storage last week was such a relief!!!

3 Likes

I sold all my stuff and canceled my flat in January, and I’m now a full-time digital nomad and housesitter. It was the best decision ever! As a millennial without a family to support me, I knew something had to change. I didn’t want to settle down, buy a house, or pay for my horrendous high rent each month, so I thought, why not do something completely different no one I knew did? This was possible due to my job change. I can now work from anywhere in the world, and I love animals, so housesitting is the perfect opportunity for me to see the world and travel slow on a budget.

9 Likes

Yes! I did this 2 years ago as a family of 3. We are now a family of 4 (my youngest sister moved in with us) and we all work/school remotely. It is an INCREDIBLE life to live. We have enjoyed every moment.

3 Likes

My husband and I live in Australia, we retired in Nov 2019 with plans to house sit around the world and then COVID came :frowning_face: so we have only done sits in Australia. We are currently planning our first overseas house sitting grand adventure in the UK from Dec 2022 to April 2023. I’m so excited that I can’t sleep! We have 3 confirmed sits in the south of England from 6 Dec 22 to 15 Jan 2023. We have a gap 6-12 Dec that we hope to fill. We are putting a lot of thought in to our route so we are not jumping all over the place to minimise travel time and transport costs (we won’t have a car). Our plan is to start heading north or west in to Wales from mid Jan 2023 to end up in Scotland by late Feb/early March 2023. Thank you @Colin for the link to National Express

3 Likes

Hi Crookie,
you shouldn’t have any problem filling your gap, so hang out for one that suits you.
I’ve been discovering lots of lovely bits of England I didn’t know about through house-sits.
Having lived 30 years in Australia I wasn’t looking forward to winter in the UK, but hasn’t been too bad. North of Scotland in winter can be REALLY cold and you need to allow for snow. Was nice seeing snow again (it’s rare in the south of England, and getting rarer).
We’ve been stuck in the UK due to Covid but soon to have 3 months of sits in France.

We arrived in the UK without transport but bought a second hand car quite cheaply. Worth considering if you intend being a year in Europe.

Hi Ed. Thanks for the info. We are going to housesits in Brussels and then London soon. While we are planning on using mass transport it’s nice to know that a used car is an option.

Hi also look into Megabus who don’t go as many places as National Express but can be significantly cheaper where they share routes
Gillcamp