Gardens of the World

A garden I loved was at the Jim Thompson House in Bangkok which was also featured in Monty Don’s TV series ‘Around the World in 80 Gardens’.

4 Likes

I loved that garden too @Dace

3 Likes

I’ll second that @Françoise-et-Youn - we visited Versailles in the summer and it FAR exceeded our expectations. I sort of expected a few ornamental fountains, but no… it’s vast and each fountain area is like an individual themed garden. Absolutely stunning. We returned for the final night-time fountain experience too. Definitely need a day and a picnic to fully appreciate :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I’m going to Portland in late September. Love gardens thank you for the post :heart:

2 Likes

5 Likes

I just posted 2 Spring sits in Biloxi if anyone wants to getaway from the cold

3 Likes

For sitters in U.K. who want to visit gardens this months (May ) edition of Gardeners World magazine has a 2for1 annual pass for 416 gardens in U.K.

This includes famous gardens like Kew and Wakehurst and entry to lots of castles and gardens like Hever and Arundel .

For single sitters some of the gardens will give you 25% off with the pass .

You can buy the magazine in the shop or order online .

Home Owners if you live near one of these gardens this would be a lovely thoughtful gift for your sitters .

3 Likes

Arundel Castle gardens - Sussex U.K.
![image|666x500]

6 Likes

Free passes to visit U.K. National Trust gardens this autumn

1 Like

I spent 10 days on a fabulous house sit in the Scottish Borders at the end of August. Glorious weather, all castles, abbeys and stunning gardens. I have a historic houses card,

Worth it to visit some of the smaller, less busy places. 2 cats who lived outside so I was able to be out every day. Abbotsford Sir Walter Scott’s house was my favourite

8 Likes

@Chrissy , these are stunning. Can you identify them? And would someone without a car be able to get to them?

The photos are all Abbotsford Sir Walter Scots home. I went to Floors Castle Kelso, Thirlestane and several Abbeys. I followed the Sir Walter Scott trail. There is a small train line that runs from Edinburgh out to several places called the Borders line. I did need a car for my sit as it was 2 miles off a main road but the furthest I travelled was 16 miles to visit anything. There are buses but very few in villages. Its all along the Tweed

6 Likes

We discovered Kells Bay House and Gardens on our recent trip to Ireland whilst driving the Ring of Kerry.

Commanding a wonderful vista overlooking Dingle Bay and peninsula, Kells Bay Gardens cover 20 hectares in a short v-shaped valley between the Ring of Kerry and the sea.

Kells Bay Gardens have been open to visitors since the Autumn of 2008. They contain one of the finest collections of Southern Hemisphere plants in Europe. The spectacular topography is complemented and enhanced by the exotic plants. The centrepiece Tree-fern Forest has attracted horticultural enthusiasts for decades and is comparable to similar forests in Tasmania.

6 Likes