Greetings from Reno Nevada and the Snowy Sierra Nevada

Greetings to all my fellow sitters and Homeowners from what has been a pretty snowy winter so far. I arrived in Reno for my two month cat sit just after Christmas. Soon after i arrived the snow began to fall. Reno is at 4,000 elevation just over Donner pass from Truckee and North lake Tahoe. Typically Reno does get snow, just not in such abundance. Many of you might have seen that my home town San Francisco Bay area and much of the rest state was hit hard with rain and wild storms, meaning the Sierra Nevada got dumped on with the glittery white stuff. I was prepared for snow just not this much and then comes the ice prompting a purchase of crampons/cletes to deal with walking in icy patches. All in all it has been great and being I have family here as well as made it even more fun.

Reno itself is a tad run down particularly downtown, yet they’re revitalization of parts of town has given it a bit of a face-lift. Mid town offers excellent eateries, museims and cafes with an artsy flare so it’s been enjoyable exploring that area. Last week with family we went out to Washoe Lake State Park which was on my bucket list. It’s known for a herd / band of wild Mustangs so I was amped up to see these majestic horses roaming the mountain sides and grazing near the eaters edge. Initially we didn’t locate them right away, yet had a fun time snow hiking through the deep powder then walking along the frozen lake scanning the landscape for birds and of course the horses. After our walk we indulged in a lovely snowy picnic and listening to the Magpies carrying on in song in the tree above us. On our way to my excitement we spotted some horses grazing near the lake so we stopped and watched them for a bit and i managed a distant photo.

With only 3 weeks left here I’ll be taken advantage of more walks, my favorite is the Truckee river walk which meanders from downtown to Idlewild park a couple of miles away. Enjoying my time with two very purrfect fur friends and time with family. From here I’m back to the bay area for a private sit for some friends then heading to Vermont for a month with back to back doggie sits which I’m very much looking forward to. I hope everyone is having a fabulous winter wherever you in your travel adventures. Here’s a few snaps from our adventure at Washoe Lake State Park.

7 Likes

A few more shots from my time here

5 Likes

7 Likes

Amazing @Catgoddess_99 as a Canadian I love blue skies, sun and snow, in photos and in the “flesh” … much preferable to grey skies and rain. Thank you for sharing, :snowflake: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Wow, @Catgoddess_99! Thank you so much for sharing. I had no idea that there were wild Mustangs near Reno.

I remember reading that the actor Jeremy Renner (Hawkeye!) was seriously injured in the snow in your area. Glad you were safe.

1 Like

Here’s a video from a YouTube user probably taken in summer months

3 Likes

Wow, thank you for sharing! Straightforward yet beautiful.

2 Likes

speaking straight to my horse girl heart :purple_heart: :horse:

2 Likes

@Carla-Moderator Omg! You would love it :grinning: my nephew who lives here is going to treat me to a guided trip with locals who really know the area and where the Horses are. They’re one of my favorite photographic subjects.

1 Like

@Catgoddess_99 please keep me posted on how that goes. That would be a dream visit for me and upload any horsey photos. :horse:

Definitely I’ll keep you posted

1 Like