Happy National Mutt Day!

Happy National Mutt Day!

National Mutt Day, also known as National Mixed Breed Dog Day, is all about embracing, saving, and celebrating mixed breed dogs. Many dogs are abandoned and euthanized at shelters due to the constant over-breeding and public desire of designer dogs and pure bred puppies that are sold to pet stores supplied by puppy mills that often produce ill and horribly neglected animals.

This special day was created to raise awareness of the plight of mixed breed dogs in shelters around the nation, as approximately 80% of dogs in shelters are mixed breeds. Most pure breeds that end up in the shelter are generally rescued quickly by either the public wanting a “less expensive” pure bred dog or by a pure breed rescue. The day’s mission is to educate the public about the sea of mixed breed dogs that desperately await new homes and to celebrate the amazing characteristics that the mix of breeds creates in each individual dog.

There are millions of loving and healthy mixed breed dogs sitting in shelters, who are desperately searching for a new home. So please visit your local shelter and find a new furry friend! If you can’t adopt a mixed breed pup, please consider donating to your local animal shelter, as they all need financial assistance and every dollar counts! You can also volunteer at your local shelter, or donate food and other needed supplies.

This is my Mexi Mutt, Trooper, who was rescued from an abusive home in Mexico by The Animal Pad dog rescue. I adopted him in 2020 and it was the best decision I have ever made. Trooper has truly changed my life. You can watch his rescue story below.

SHOW US YOUR MUTTS !!!

We would love to see your mutts! What are their favorite activities? What are some of their quirky traits? What do you love most about your mutt?

7 Likes

What a very sad story but wonderful outcome for Trooper who looks so happy. Well done Julie and Trooper!

5 Likes

@Julie_A OK, I am trying to stop crying now. I am crying happy tears, but also sad tears for what he, and so many, many others, have gone through and are going through. Thank you for all you do for the organization and for taking in Trooper and giving him his best life ever! There is a special place in Heaven for good pet people and all the pets we love!

4 Likes

Meet our VIP Mutt Dave The Dog he was the inspiration behind TrustedHousesitters
Founder Andy Peck was sitting Dave in France in 2010 when he lit the light bulb of pet care for Andy and TrustedHousesitters was born …

download

Share your Mutt pictures and stories … we are looking to feature these VIPets on the Forum Banner :dog: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :dog:

6 Likes

Thanks @Smiley he really is the biggest joy of my life :green_heart: :dog:

Have you owned or sat for any mutts? I’d love to see their photos!

This cutie is Pierre I just fostered him through The Animal Pad dog rescue and he’s still looking for his forever family.

He’s a Mexi Mutt too and was rescued from the streets of Mexico. He’s lucky to be alive because he was on the brink of death when they found him. He’s such a sweet cuddly boy.

Wisdompanel graciously donated some DNA kits to The Animal Pad so we were able to test Pierre’s DNA. It’s always fun finding out what breeds our sweet mutts are.

5 Likes

Aw thank you @Debbie-L :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: my life wouldn’t be complete without these amazing mutts!

Have you owned or sat for any mutts? I’d love to see their photos!

This adoptable cutie is Laura and she’s the adoptable pet of the week at the Helen Woodward Animal Center they say she’s a chocolate retriever mutt!

There are so many adorable mutts still looking for their forever homes. Hopefully days like National Mutt Day will help spread awareness about this important topic and help more rescue mutts find a loving home.

3 Likes

@Angela_L that is so cool Dave the mutt inspired Andy to start TrustedHousesitters!

There have been so many famous and influential mutts throughout history.

What were some of the most memorable mutts you’ve sat for @Angela_L ?

1 Like

I’ve sat for a few mutts but never owned a dog…

2 Likes

I owned only once a very expensive hunting dog full breed who was a real problem. Agressive (mono orchid? Was that the reason ? He bit me badly several times …)

All my recent dogs, the last 15 years have been “mutt” all 3 adorable

I never heard them growl, they never bit anybody or any other dog, they loved cats kids, they were sociable.

In french “mutts” are called “bâtards”…

3 Likes

Yep we have had many mutts and our last baby was a rescue from an
Abusive neglected situation. We got her at about 1 1/2 and was with us til last November. Hardest thing in the world to say goodbye

4 Likes

So many @Julie_A all lovable, rescued “Mutts” …

14409831_10155253579399348_7363314465148560413_o

1913434_10152715340859348_2004327257_o

1053233_10152016975949348_1216625555_o

14310464_10155183662844348_7409524905804645616_o

4 Likes

We always had a dog when I was a child. All were Beagle mutts from the ASPCA, and we never had any behavior problems with any of them. They were all so happy to be part of our family and generally just loved life!

3 Likes

My fur nephew Luigi aks Poo Bear pup of a dear friend… Rescued 4 year’s ago, a funny/ adorable Terrier /Couton / maybe some poodle thrown in there.

6 Likes

@Candide I would love to see some pictures of your mutts throughout the years if you had any :heart_eyes:

Aw @Debbie-L I’m so sorry. Losing our pets is such a difficult thing to go through. I’m dreading the day I lose my Trooper. He’s my first personal dog, the ones before him were family dogs growing up. Trooper and I do everything together. Can’t imagine life without him, if only dogs could live as long as us humans :pensive:

Do you have any pictures of your sweet mutts throughout the years? I’d love to see them :green_heart:

Awwww they are all so precious @Angela_L :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Beagle mixes are so cute! :dog:

1 Like

Omg @Catgoddess_99 your fur nephew is ADORABLE!!! Look at that face :heart_eyes: what a cutie pie. Thank you for sharing.

1 Like

This breed is so adorable!

2 Likes