Has anyone read this book?

I’ve just come across this book on Twitter & wonder if anyone has read it? Looks interesting

4 Likes

Not yet :slight_smile:
Have you?
Thoughts?

2 Likes

Is this the start of a book review club @Smiley ??? I’ve not seen this one either.

3 Likes

No, I’ve only just come across it…I might get it on kindle, although hate reading online. It might not be ‘literary’ enough for me. I must ask the author what she knows personally about housesitting and come back here if I get an answer!

4 Likes

Haha. But that’s a good idea @Vanessa_A

2 Likes

That would be wonderful.
I made efforts a while back but meh was the interest or I failed majorly.
I’m in.

1 Like

Just looking at reviews and descriptions, I like that she took to the time go deeper into her reasons for house sitting beyond the obvious surface fluff “I love to travel, animals…”

1 Like

Sounds like a fun read.

2 Likes

It looks like my sort of book.
I also like coming across things randomly.

2 Likes

I’ve just tweeted the author to see if she herself housesat or, if not, what research she’s done…

3 Likes

Just downloaded it to my Kobo from the library. Off to the airport for a long flight. Might just try it out sooner rather than later.

3 Likes

Do let us know here what you think of it! Have a good flight, where are you off to?

1 Like

Maybe @lifephasenext you could do us a little book review when you’ve read it :smiley:

2 Likes

@Smiley First to The Netherlands to spend time with our grandson while his parents play in Mexico with their friends. Then onto Portugal with a week in Spain with family at the New Year. So far, just one house sit in Lagos but would be happy to do more. Just booked flight back at the end of January so there’s still time!

2 Likes

@Vanessa_A Just might, though you can see by all of the comments here that any book review would be completely subjective and open to debate. Could be an interesting book discussion if others read it, too!

1 Like

HI, thanks for the heads up! I haven’t read it but just looked it up on Amazon. I’m putting it on my wish list. The opening section seemed a bit clichéd. Main character arrives at a rambling country house. It has an ancient Aga, faded glory furniture and echoey corridors. Dogs arrive the next day and owners are already on their way to Bahamas. It did draw me in actually!
Seems like any fictional account of house-sitters either depicts us as clumsy idiots (The Man and the Bee on Netflix) or sad lonely people without a home to call our own. This book falls into the latter category judging by the reviews. Will be interested to hear what you think, or indeed anyone who reads it!?

1 Like

I probably won’t read it actually, I prefer more ‘literary’ novels. Hope that doesn’t sound too snobbish!