Anybody writing a blog about their house sitting adventures?

Hello all,

I love reading and hearing about other house sitting adventures/experiences.
Anybody here who writes a blog about them?

Thanks! Happy & safe house sitting adventures!!

9 Likes

Thanks @Provence , I am already a member of Vanessaā€™s group and love it! I remember she posted a question about blogs a few weeks ago. A lot of interesting ones indeed. But thereā€™s always room for more :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Iā€™ve been meaning to post this feedback & now there are many more folk reading, nowā€™s a good time.

I follow TH on Instsg & often have a look at the stories reposted at the top. Should we visit thier profile, some are ā€˜influencersā€™ :roll_eyes: with heaps of bikini pics. (I have no issues with bikinis etc and have a nice one thanks :sweat_smile:)

Just an idea, would you have a thought about folk who may not be interested. I think itā€™s the wrong message to send as it has nothing to do with housesitting.

I like seeing active sitters & was happy when a person the other day posted a pic of thier mtb adventures at MOAB. More of this please :sunglasses:.

4 Likes

@Els have you visited the site Blog? Thee are many member stories there, both owners and sitters and we are always looking for members to contribute their stories, after all they are the most interesting . Blog | TrustedHousesitters.com

1 Like

Thanks @Angela_L will have a look!

1 Like

There certainly are Elsā€¦ There are so many interesting stories from house sitters and travellers and as Angela says THS have a blog too. I agree with @TheMapleKiwi, that house sitting is more than just bikinis and beaches. For many house sitting, experiences with the pets, and associated travel, is a lifestyle, and that involves so much more. It can provide huge inspiration for others to get involved both as home owners and sitters. For us itā€™s as much about what we do and learn culturally between our sits and the adventures we get to experience. We love to share those stories in the magazine. Good to see you here :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I am but it is still very early in the post/story sharing department. I have too much I need to share, I donā€™t want to limit myself to only home and pet sitting. I have been traveling solo since I was 23, that was egads thatā€™s 43 years! I have had an incredible life and I feel like itā€™s just now getting good thanks to home and pet sitting!

4 Likes

Iā€™ve been writing one about house sitting since 2014 (Have Sheep, Will Travel) and then switched in 2017 to one that is not just housesitting. I mainly write when Iā€™m on sits, but not necessarily focused on the sits. I really enjoy it.

4 Likes

Thatā€™s wonderful. I have found that I am a storyteller and my travels, my experiences with people, places and pets have become a huge part of who I am. I want to tell people about that. Kindness from strangers is one of the greatest treasures these experiences taught me.
How we shift and our worldview changes to make us better people, better caregivers to everyone and everything.

3 Likes

@Els Thank you for sharing your blog! Itā€™s always so interesting learning what motivates people and how they found their ā€˜passionā€™. Your way of travel and all of the things you must have experienced along the way are inspiring!

We also write a blog. Just like yours, @Els and @Snowbird, itā€™s about many topics, including house sitting adventures. Weā€™re about being outliers and looking beyond the average (hence, our name Screw The Average). We write about being digital nomads, full-time house sitters, pursuing FI/RE (financial independence, retire early), travel hacking (credit miles and points) and onebagging (traveling with one bag - in our case a 36L carryon backpack). We donā€™t share as much as weā€™d sometimes like on our house sitting adventures because weā€™re very cautious and aware of homeownersā€™ privacy. Before we post stories or pictures, we always get approval in writing. :slight_smile: But weā€™re able to tuck a few good stories in here and there!

@Amparo We completely agree! Travel has transformed our lives and outlook, we think for the better. The people weā€™ve met and the cultures weā€™ve been fortunate enough to experience are life changing and enforce our desire to have a perspective of gratitude in everything we do.

3 Likes

Oh we are going to be best friends!
Canā€™t wait to read your blog.
There are
So many hidden gems to doing this ā€œworkā€.
Freedom in every aspect. Mind opening aha moments I like to say haha moments!

You see things differently, it changes you and you canā€™t ever go back to the old life.
Speak again soon

3 Likes

Freedom is the word we always use to describe why we live the way we do. In so many ways, itā€™s simply freedom. :heart:

1 Like

Iā€™ve added a link to my earlier post now, for Where on Earth is Francine?. Even after all these years Iā€™m still hesitant to promote mine as itā€™s just a hobby for me. @Els Thanks to you both for sharing yours. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Yes, Freedom is my #1 value from my own self analysis of my behavior and standardized tests I have taken :grinning:
Freedom is an umbrella that emcompasses so many aspects of our lives. For me, itā€™s not just about having the ability to travel full time, financial freedom (though those are huge factors) itā€™s much much deeper than that.
Itā€™s finding peace.
That is liberating.

1 Like

We have been sitting for a couple of years now and what started as a diary has now turned into a book describing our experiences which may be useful reading for new sitters in particular. It is available as a e-book or paperback on Amazon: Chez Vous by Gill Harrison.

3 Likes

Hi @gillyh, I have downloaded your book and look forward to reading. I am sure it will be an eye opener. :wink:

1 Like

When I click on the link, I get connected to my old (blank) Wordpress account but canā€™t see your blog. ???

1 Like

@Dina I think my post may be too old for me to edit now. Iā€™ll direct message you with a link.

Hello everyone. I just thought Iā€™d bring this post up again, as many more members have joined us since the most recent blog was listed (September 2021). If you write a blog about your travels and adventures and would like to share a link with forum members, please feel free to add it to this post.

Of course, thereā€™s also the THS blog. I canā€™t forget to include that one here :wink:

Francine,
Voluntary Forum Moderator

1 Like

Hi @Snowbird and thanks for bringing this post back. I have? (had?) a travel blog that I started in 2014. Unfortunately, I havenĀ“t been very active for the past 2+ years due to writerĀ“s block but am hoping to pick up blogging again as soon as it is only possible. (Perhaps ā€going publicā€ on this forum can both challenge me and help me with the ā€œrecoveryā€ process??? :wink:)

Triggered by the dramatic experience and trauma that followed I somehow succeeded in writing and publishing a post couple of months ago. As it is THS-cat-sit related I thought I may share it with you.

1 Like