Hello from the Scottish Highlands

I’ve recently moved into my own house with a geriatric dog and cat. As I need to travel quite often for work, I was concerned about what to do about their care while I’m away. A colleague recommended TH and I joined up after browsing the site a bit. It looks ideal! I’m meeting a prospective sitter this coming week and I’m chuffed that it’s been such a short time from when I joined to getting my first application. Maybe I was a bit pre-emptive in accepting them before our first actual meeting, as I’m just so relieved that someone wants to come and look after my house while I’m away! Now I’ve read a few posts here, I’m learning a bit more about the standard etiquette.

I wondered how many HO are also sitters for other HO, or is it usually that people are one or the other?

4 Likes

Hello @BirdieWife
Welcome to this wonderful world. There are a mix of all three. Some are sitters, some are pawparents and some are both.
I have done a few sits for HOs that are sitting elsewhere. It is rare that I meet anyone in person prior to an agreement to sit.
It is truly one of the highlights and added perks of being a member.
Enjoy!

4 Likes

Hello! I am a new HO to the site as well. While I am looking for pet sitters I also joined in the combined program as I may want to travel for leisure at some point and it looks like a great opportunity. Best wishes to you with your first experience!

2 Likes

Hi @BirdieWife welcome to our community forum and to TrustedHousesitters and an especially warm welcome to Cari & Rita (pets really do come first :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:) Thank you for joining us from the beautiful Scottish Highlands I’m not in the least bit surprised that you had a a quick response from sitters wishing to come and stay with your lovely family and enjoy the location and all it has to offer. I’m in Argyll & Bute on the shores of Loch Long, and there are walkers, hikers, cyclists, artists, kayakers, writers and many more taking advantage of the wide open spaces.

I’m really happy that you have your sitter arranged now is the time to have lots of communication to make this a successful and happy experience for everyone involved. Having a video chat before confirming is preferable to be certain everyone is the right fit but as long as you prepare well and put everything in place, like the Welcome Guide, to include everything about your pets and their needs, including veterinary information, everything about your home, the area and local contacts, you’ll find guides and information on the website’s Blog that are very helpful.

You can also ask any questions here on the forum, our community are helpful and experienced. We have a number who are Combined Members (sitters & owners) I have been sitting and welcoming sitters to my home for many years, it really is a very special community and lifestyle, one I hope you will be able to fully embrace.

Welcome again and we look forward to sharing in your new TrustedHousesitters journey.

Angela and the Team

Hi @Lulu welcome to our community forum and to TrustedHousesitters … a combined member, you will be able to enjoy both sides of this win win win (the third win is for our pet members)

A message I wrote to @BirdieWife and share with you.

Welcome again and enjoy connecting with our members from around the world … where are you joining us from and who do you have at home that will keep your sitters company and probably steal their hearts … it really does happen, I know. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Angela & The Team