Hi from our beautiful Scottish village (with its own palace!) AND Outlander setting!

Hi,
We’re Rae, Dave and Dexter (our super sweet Cavalier King Charles spaniel). We’re reasonably new to THS having only had one sit for us and recently completed a sit for another family. (Covid to blame!!)

Both sits were absolutely great and we’ve sat again for our family and we’re also using our first sitter again in a few weeks.

We’re very used to opening up our home to others. As teachers (now retired) with 3 children (now adults) / long summer holidays and a love of travel we’ve used a couple of home exchange sites to allow us to explore the world for over 25 years!!! We’ve loved doing this and have made a lot of good friends along the way.

In May we’re heading to California, where our son and daughter in law live and are currently trying to finalise a sit for that (still need two weeks covered if anyone is interested) also planning another trip for mid October and have just posted the dates for that.

We travel to California most years so if anyone there needs a sitter just say and we’ll see if we’re free.

A bit biased probably :slight_smile: but we think our home is a fabulous sitting opportunity. In a stunning Scottish village (with the friendliest locals) a super wee dog to look after, beautiful countryside all around and, as seasoned home exchangers and Airbnb Super hosts our reviews are extremely positive both for having people to stay here and our experiences looking after other people’s homes.

Because we have a separate Airbnb right next to our main home this gives sitters (and ourselves) flexibility in arrival and departure dates. The Airbnb is never rented out when we travel so sitters family / friends are also welcome.

Think that’s enough as an introduction. Anyone interested in sitting for us please get in touch.

VERY much looking forward to travelling again after the last 2 years as I’m sure so many here are.

6 Likes

@RaeJ
Welcome Rae. I live in Edinburgh and love being a tourist in Scotland. :smiley: Enjoy the forum.

2 Likes

Hi and welcome to the forum RaeJ. I’d love to spend time in Scotland some day! Who knows, perhaps our paths will cross. I wish you many happy travels and excellent sitters!

2 Likes

Hi Rae
I’ll definately be looking out for a cavalier sit in scotland.
Both are very high on my love it list.

1 Like

Thank you Edith. Yes I would recommend a trip to Scotland - so much history, culture and diversity. With the most stunning scenery.

1 Like

I was there a very long time ago — I think I’m due for another visit!

1 Like

Many thanks for the welcome. Yes, Scotland is a fabulous place to be a tourist in isn’t it.

1 Like

Good afternoon fellow Fifer, I think. And welcome. You will have no problem getting a sitter for your beautiful dog if you live where I think you live. A wonderful area where I called home for my first 30 years of life. Then I moved up to the north east and learnt what cold and snow really was.!

3 Likes

Hi Elsie,
We’re in Falkland - home of the famous palace / Mary Queen of Scots / one of the best organic farm shops in Scotland AND a well known Outlander location!!!

It’s a great area - did you live close to Falkland?

Yes I can appreciate the chilly weather further north but beautiful also.

2 Likes

Cavaliers are the cutest aren’t they. I think Scotland AND a wee cavie sit are an ideal match :).

2 Likes

Ooh I love Falkland. We stayed there for a couple of nights a few years ago. We just kind of picked it out of a hat, because it was close to Cupar where my cousin lives, not realizing where we were going. Then, months later, I was watching the first season of Outlander and realized we stayed in the same hotel!

I just noticed, I have had your sit favourited for awhile now.

2 Likes

I lived on a farm in Star near Markinch. Falkland is a beautiful village. You are so lucky. Good luck.

2 Likes

Oh wow - what a coincidence. Yes Falkland / Cupar / St Andrews / pretty East Neuk fishing villages are all so close - as is Edinburgh. Under 40 minutes by car for the furthest possibly.

1 Like

Hi @RaeJ and welcome aboard, I am Tamy from Italy. I’d like to favourite your listening, you described it as a marvellous place with a super lovely pet :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Visiting Scotland (Outlander locations) is definitely on my bucket list. :blush:

1 Like

Hi Rae,

I’m also in Scotland (though further South, near Dumfries and Galloway). I spent some time in your region last year and had to comment on the organic shop! If it is the one I’m thinking of (PoH), it is incredible! I especially like the chocolate bombs after the glorious scenic walks. Anyway, wishing you the best of luck in finding a suitable sitter, I doubt you’ll have any difficulty!

2 Likes

Hello @RaeJ and welcome to the forum. You may want to add a link to your listing in your forum username, so that forum members will find it more easily. I’ll add the instructions here:

If for some reason you’d rather not do that, if you post your listing date range it will be helpful for those searching your listing.

3 Likes

What a lovely introduction @RaeJ. You might only be relatively new to THS but you’ve been experiencing a similar lifestyle both as an owner and a sitter.

Love Scotland and have been fortunate to visit a number of times over the last 40 years. My Scottish ancestry keeps drawing me back! In 2017 I enjoyed over 6 weeks of pet sitting for 3 different owners in different locations which was wonderful. This year I’ll purely be a tourist and am finally going to the Edinburgh Tattoo.

Would definitely be interested in sitting for you another year and I’ll look forward to viewing your listing.

Like you, it’s been a long wait but finally we’re able to travel overseas again (I’m in Australia). Enjoy your family visit to California and we’ll look forward to reading more of your adventures from you.

2 Likes

@ElsieDownie
Gosh another Fifer :smiley:
we referred to it as The Star. :grin: I hail from Windygates.

2 Likes

It won’t let me print what we used to call it!
Windygates is a lovely place as well. The problem with Windygates is the school memories. Our BHS bus went through it twice a day and if we got stopped at the traffic lights there was a lot of abuse from the KHS lot. The rivalry was so bad we weren’t allowed to play hockey or rugby against them which was a pity because the schools were so close.
It’s really a small world…

1 Like

OMG it is indeed.
I worked as an advisory outreach teacher before retiring and have visited both schools. Kirkland is no more and everyone goes to the new Buckhaven HS.

1 Like