Help! How do I get a sitter?

Hello,

I am new to Trusted Home Sitters and just posted our home and dates about a day ago. We haven’t received any applications yet and since our trip is soon I’m thinking I should give up? We live in Nashville TN in a very desirable location so I figured we would have at least some interest fairly quickly but perhaps my expectations are not realistic?

Any kind advice is appreciated

1 Like

You’ve only posted your ad about a day ago, and you’re already giving up???

Sitters need to check their calendars, check with their partners if their in a couple, see how many miles it is from the sit they are doing before and after, or even maybe organise time off work if they are sitting part-time.

Plus they may be spending time thinking of how they word their application so that they can be sure you pick them. I write an individual message to each application, because every pet owners requirements is different, and so any past experience I mention has to relevant to what the pet owner has said.

I’m a sitter, and sometimes I apply within an hour, and sometimes I need to figure out the logistics of it first. But try to post your ad well before your dates are due, there are even ads for 2024 on here already.

Also, pop a link to your ad on here so others can help give you some feedback, just incase it’s your ad.

Hope that helps

3 Likes

@HappyDeb Thank you for helping, if you click on the posters users name you will see the link to the listing there. As they are a new member of the forum you will need to copy and paste it into the browser to view the listing (hyper links are not available to new users to start with, it’s a Discourse set-up thing!)
Thanks again for helping :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sometimes I look at the same new listing for days before I actually apply. It takes time to determine how I would get there as well as plan out where to go afterwards. If it’s a desirable area I’m sure you’ll get applications soon

4 Likes

Hi @porter.g08
Your listing is attractive. Your home looks very comfortable and your furry family rather lovely. If I wasn’t allergic to dogs and had space in my calendar I’d apply.
I’m sure you’ll get some applications but it may take a day or so.

1 Like

I would have posted the trip sooner but we just found out about this option when we were searching for options after our original housesitter fell through.

I’m just saying giving up this time because the trip is so soon and I don’t want to end up stranded without an option for the dogs. I can’t board my older dog, it would be too stressful on him.

Hi there. Your home is lovely and accessible. Your pets are adorable. And Nashville is a great place for visitors. I wonder if the July 7-14 dates would qualify for some short term boosting here in the forum. The moderators would know. If you have any flexibility with your dates (especially July), maybe you can say that in the title. It’s just a little short notice for anyone who would be flying in from another place. If I weren’t booked all the way through January 2024, I would consider applying. Good luck!

3 Likes

@Shella_in_the_Forum Thank you for your suggestion and help. I have added the link to the last-minute sit category here and the posting terms can be viewed :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I hope you get responses but, in future, I would recommend you post your dates with more notice. I see you have some October dates too.
Good luck!

1 Like

Your ad looks great word-wise, with a lovely spacious garden, in a desirable location, my fingers are crossed that you find someone amazing quickly.

1 Like

This is a common complaint on the forum nowadays, and I’ve had the same problem - the last 2 sits I’ve posted haven’t had a single application. I am wondering whether to renew my subscription or is it money down the drain?
Don’t give up yet though. This site is wonderful when it works!

1 Like

TrustedHousesitters will do a Facebook posts for sits that are coming up soon and don’t have a sitter. I would try contacting them directly on Facebook.

3 Likes

Looks like you have some applicants for both sets of dates now @porter.g08 so that’s great :raised_hands:t3:

4 Likes

Yes!!! I just confirmed a sitter! Thanks all for your help!

3 Likes

@porter.g08 brilliant news!! … Thank you for the update

“Glad we could be of service” :wink: :clap:

1 Like

Welcome to THS and the forum. You shouldn’t have any trouble filling your sits. Hockey and music lovers are always looking for accommodations in Nashville. Some need time to check flights etc so if you post your requirements at least two months out you’ll likely get more applicants. Best of a luck to you and enjoy your vacations.