Help understanding why HO's post so little information

I am trying to understand why some homeowner’s put so little information in their post. Particularly regarding the home. Is it one bedroom or 2 or three or a studio? Are sitters asked to use only one specific room and bathroom, or can they choose among them, do the animals sleep with owners and therefore expected to sleep with sitter, do you prefer the dogs go on errands and excursions with sitters or can they stay home?
I see so many listings with so little information for a sitter to try and imagine what it would be like staying there for a week or two or three. I can’t imagine applying to stay somewhere for more than a few days without a lot of information and photos of what that would entail.
I just don’t understand the posts with just a few lines about the house, the inside and outside, the neighborhood and the care of the animals.
Anyone able to enlighten me?

3 Likes

What information is important in a listing is very subjective. Some HOs list where the dog food is kept, whereas I don’t need to know that until I get to the house. Others provide very little information.

Some details are important to everyone - energy levels of animals, how long they can be left alone, etc. others. Other details might seem unimportant to a HO, but be crucial to specific sitter. As a HO, It didn’t occur to me to list where the cat sleeps, for example.

2 Likes

If I’m interested and there’s little information I would click on ‘apply’ but explain that I need more information to make an informed decision. Then I’d ask about all the missing information and suggest that they might like to add that.

5 Likes

Hi @carpediem16 I think your points are valid, but it’s likely that homeowners could make parallel comments about some skimpy sitter profiles. THS provides plenty of information on the website as to how to create listings and profiles that are more likely to bring success, but that requires people to read the information and act on it. That doesn’t always happen.

We know all too well that we, as people, are as varied as they come. Some follow every step, and others skim over details, or just disagree and do it their own way. At least those who are coming to the forum and acting on suggestions are more likely to have more success.

I don’t think there’s a quick answer or easy solution that would be enlightening. :smirk:

7 Likes

Some are really, really vague, though. Like “I live in NYC in a 1 BR apartment.” WHERE in NYC? Midtown Manhattan? The Bronx? Staten Island? Is the apartment in a house with other families and no private entrance? A high-rise building? Above a shop? Stuff like that.

1 Like

A lot of people have difficulty to put themselves in your shoes and it takes time and effort to fill out a listing. We usually just skip listings that don’t really appeal to us and they will probably have fewer applicants (or more unsuitable applicants). But on the other hand: we have also had some complete mystery sits through Facebook (with almost no info about the flat, cat or HO) that turned out great!

5 Likes

The thing is, I would have thought that this ultimately creates more work for homeowners as they must have to reply to several house-sitters who all have loads of questions!

I can’t always summon the energy to ask for lots of information, especially if other sits are available.

I must admit I get frustrated by listings which contain barely any details. It makes me think the homeowners can’t be bothered, and that’s not a great first impression.

11 Likes

I just did a sit like this. There was almost no info in the profile but the dates and location were perfect for my needs. What sold me is that there were a lot of reviews absolutely raving about the pets and home. Normally I would not apply to a listing with such skimpy information.

1 Like

I noticed that about some listings in (and near) Philadelphia. I’m FROM there and I couldn’t figure out where the people live.
For one of them, it took reading a sitter review – ah, OK, they live in Chestnut Hill.

2 Likes

I do that too! Sometimes you need to read reviews to find out where they live, if the pet is indoor or outdoor, if sitters have a separate room, etc.

3 Likes

a house/pet sit through Facebook??

1 Like

Well, where the cat or dog sleeps I guess isn’t that significant unless it is going to be with the sitter. I think that is a significant piece of information.

There are tons of local FB groups for sitters

3 Likes

Good point and I also brought this up before re “location”. I live in Vancouver but there are many areas of Vancouver. Some areas have great access to transportation and other areas do not. If someone was to apply on a sit in the city I live, I’d like them to know exactly where in the city.

2 Likes

if it was a sit I was interested in I would ask the HOs specific questions regarding more information.

2 Likes

Hosts need to remember that the location and access to interesting/essential landmarks are important. If you dont mention local attractions nearby, why would I want to travel there? For me its the combination of pets and location/attractions that matters.

1 Like

When I joined TH I didn’t have a clue about what to write, over the years I have added more and more to my listing (have actually just updated it again) and now I worry that I have put too much info! Thankfully my previous sitters have said lots about us so I’m hoping that helps new sitters know what to expect.

6 Likes

Hi @ClareWoolford The link to your listing is not working correctly. I’m going to tag @Angela_L and ask that she fix it for you when she’s next online.

Francine,
Voluntary Forum Moderator

1 Like

@ClareWoolford , I was able to find your listing even though your profile link doesn’t work. No, you haven’t put too much description in. What you’ve written is great! The only thing that could sweeten the deal is if you could provide use of a car. These days It’s too expensive to hire one. Good luck!

2 Likes

Hi @ClareWoolford I’ve fixed the link in your profile and could not resist sharing one of your purrfect pet pics., thank you for tagging me @Snowbird

2 Likes