Information HO can provide Sitters in posting

Hi all, we are HO since 2020 (have had 3 super sitters) and begin sitting with our 1st sit in June. Question for sitters: When posting our home for a sitter I am not sure how much information is too much (TMI!) I see some post with hardly any information and then I read mine and thing is that too much data? Sitters, when you read a posting for a housesit what are key bits of information that are helpful for you? Many thanks as I am getting ready to post a sit for December!

7 Likes

Hello,
Too much information is better than not enough. And pictures of course.

9 Likes

Definitely the more the better, and that includes photos (especially of the areas that will be used by the HS). Though intricate details of pet and house care can be left to the video call and Welcome Guide, a post that includes anything special/significant that could impact whether or not a sitter feels capable or willing to do the sit will also save you from unnecessary screening. A few examples that I can think of include, pet medical or behaviour issues that might require additional skills and experience, expectations for handling specialized equipment or significant home maintenance tasks, complicated feeding or pet schedules. And don’t forget to include if your home is non-smoking!

9 Likes

Hi @Peg thank you for your excellent post and question and as you’ve already heard from members the more information about your home and pets the better, that way sitters will have the information they need to assess whether it could be the right sit for them and ultimately the right sitter for you, your pets and home.

Images are especially important sitters like to see where they will be calling home … both inside and out and of course pet photos. To help, wear a sitter’s hat, what do you want to see and what would make you apply for a particular sit?

We are all different however, clean, tidy and a feeling of comfort, a picture really does say a 1000 words. Caring enough to ask shows great consideration.

Thank you again for joining and all that’s left to say is … welcome to our community forum.

Angela & The Team

5 Likes

@lifephasenext - thanks for feedback, esp the smoking had totally forgotten that one!

1 Like

More is better than less. If you don’t want to consider sitters who travel with their children and/or pets, please say so on the frontend. I like to see photos of the bedroom and bathroom that we will use, as well as the kitchen and living room. I like to see photos of the pets and information regarding their sizes, energy levels, routines and needs. The responsibility section is really important. Sitters have to gauge how much of their time will be dedicated to pet care, gardening, pool maintenance, etc. before applying. If your pet has separation anxiety and can’t be left alone more than an hour, please put that in your listing. There are many digital nomads who work from home and may be happy to be homebound most of the time, but for others it would be a dealbreaker. It sounds like you are a very thoughtful person, so I am sure that your sit will attract many great candidates. Good luck.

11 Likes

oh yes totally agree on the non-smoking point which means that up to now I have been lucky in getting all my sits in houses (expect for one recurring sit outside of THS) in non-smoking houses. I have asthma but am not allergic to animal thank goodness. But a smokers environment would really play havoc with me. I do however think many THS people are the more outdoory types of people who if they had ever smoked have given up and are going for the healthy life

5 Likes

Too much info is better than almost none. As already mentioned, ease of transport, whether a car is needed, or if there are bus stops nearby. Do the pets require medications? Info that Vets’ contact details will be available, and that arrangements might already have been made at the vets for emergency treatment (I know this is rare). Are there cameras installed to protect the property? Do the neighbours know that a strange car will be parked in the driveway or that a stranger will be seen walking their dog/ may be seen around the property. Emergency contact details of neighbours / family/ home owners themselves. Any workmen due eg garden maintenance, cleaners?
Also, and I know that THS has promised to look into this: whether the home owner will allow the sitters’ own dog on the sit. For me, this is imperative, and if the info does not already include this, I tend to scroll on. by. Also, the approx length of time it might take before a decision is made. I see so many sits I 've applied for, and my application is still unread after 5 days. That’s a little disappointing. Hope this all helps.

6 Likes

@southernsitter, great information! I have made notes of them to adjust my request for a sitter!

3 Likes

I would really like to see a button where homeowners check that they are indoor smokers or outside smokers or non smokers.
We have arrived at a sit where they smoke outside, a lot, and in the car we can use to take pets for a walk.
On our profile it clearly states non smoking sits only. Nothing prepared us for the sit we are on that has intense outside smoking by homeowner that penetrates into the house.
I have changed our profile to exclude any smoking to try and make it clearer, but it would be nice to see this as part of the profile system a homeowner has to check / uncheck, as it is not something you can easily see in photos or a video.

The sit we are on is lovely however, but my chest is tight as tobacco smoke and smell are a trigger. Which is why we do not sit for those that smoke. This one was a lesson for us to ask, even though it is in our profile.

3 Likes

Wow! I don’t think I’ve ever sat for HOs who smoke. Where are these sits?

1 Like

This is a first for us out of hundreds of sits!
We love it here, the homeowners are wonderful, but this was a wake up call to ask these questions even though they are in our profile.
I will not disclose location, that would not be fair, respectful, or professional. But I will gently guide the homeowners to include this info for future sitters. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Totally agree, we are now in a house where the smoke has permeated everything. Luckily we brought our HEPA filter with us. I have never thought to ask if the homeowners smoked or not. I will next time. The smoking is done outside, but very close to the house. The evidence is still there :-).

1 Like

@Dutchpetlovers I’m a sitter and I stipulate early in my profile that I cannot do sits in any household where there are smokers. Even if they smoke outside, items in their home retain the smoke. I think it’s important that we all - sitters and homeowners - clearly state what’s important to us. It’s the best way of making sure we are a good match.

Like many have said before, you can’t really give too much info.

I think one of the most helpful things is info about the animal’s routine. Someone who isn’t a early a riser may not want to consider a sit where the dog expects to be fed and walked by 630 in the morning for example. I remember seeing a sit where the owner mentioned the cat had a habit of waking them up in the middle of the night for food and as someone who has trouble falling asleep once I wake up in the night, knew I wouldn’t love that happening everyday for almost two weeks.

Also, if there are things that may be challenging or ‘unappealing’ in some way, don’t be afraid to just put it all out there in the listing. Then you know anyone applying is okay with these aspects, though just to be sure you may want to mention it again on your chat to be sure they read these bits. I appreciate listings where owners are direct about things that may not seem ideal to most people or beyond the scope of what they typically want to be responsible for in an assignment.

4 Likes

Just a friendly reminder on this topic that if you do not want smokers in your home please include that on your listing. I applied on a sit yesterday and went as far as a video chat only to find the homeowners only wanted non-smokers. I mentioned that my husband was a smoker but only smoked away from the house but didn’t get the sit due to this and it wasn’t on the listing.

2 Likes

You should include that information in your profile as well, though.

1 Like

Applications are made based on the listing and the decision to accept or decline can also include info from an interview. No one likes surprises when a job is more than indicated or when other information is not previously disclosed such as security cameras or on-site lodger. HOs need to read the terms and conditions and be sure to be transparent with information that should go in the listing. In other words, opt for too much info than the bare minimum. Make sure it is accurate and up-to-date.