HO post has 41-50 applicants and they are still advertising for a sitter - what does this say?

This always baffles me when I see posts like these. I often do not even apply as much as the sit may appeal to me. and feel qualifed to do well. Sometimes i have seen posts like this up for 3 months or longer

Am I missing a trick here? Should THS put a limit on how long they can continue t show the same sit for?

Love to hear what others think

Regards
Nigel (in Barcelona)

4 Likes

Maybe the HOs don’t know that they have to confirm on the site when they have found a suitable sitter🤷🏼‍♀️?
I guess many people use the platform maybe once or twice a year and don’t know how to follow the steps until the sit is due.
They list their ad, they receive offers, they start selecting and do some video chats, confirm one sitter verbally and forget about it. They might only notice that the process isn’t finished yet right before the sit is going to begin, especially when their listing was put up months before.

1 Like

If I was one of the 41-50 applicants I would be contacting the HO after a week or so asking what the present position is. If no reply I would cancel application.

3 Likes

Maybe they don’t know how to pause it while they figure out so complication that has come up?

Think of it the other way. My calendar says I am available any date (unless it says I’m sitting somewhere) and I’ll sit anywhere and look after almost any type of animals. Should the pet owner get angry if they ask me to sit in Outer Mongolia looking after a herd of goats on a freezing mountain at Christmas and I decline the offer? It does say I’m available!

2 Likes

@ElsieDownie Hi, just because your calendar says you are available it doesn’t mean you are obliged to accept ANY sit…… and I don’t see any reason why you would have to justify yourself to any HO, (and yes I am one) if you don’t want to do any particular sit……:grin:

1 Like

@ElsieDownie that sort of sit sounds interesting …Outer Mongolia with goats…I am up for that!

4 Likes

So why does a HO have to justify themselves if they have over 41 applicants and still leave their advert open? I was trying to show an example from the other side.

1 Like

At Christmas, on a freezing hill with just a traditional tent to shelter in? I’ll just leave that one for you then….

2 Likes

I agree they don’t have to justify themselves, I think people just have to decide themselves if they would want to apply in that situation :wink:

3 Likes

It may not always be the number of applicants. I had a recent similar one that turned out to be “on hold” due to a family medical emergency and the person just put the whole idea of a trip out of his/her mind. Others have listed their sit but in these troubled days were not sure their trip would truly be possible due to travel/visas etc… Sometimes things are still in flux. So really it is up to you whether you hang out or remove your application. Frustrating for us sitters? Yes! But stuff happens lol.

1 Like

We applied for a sit 9 days ago, and were one of the first 3 applications. They read our application immediately. Since then, another 40+ people have applied and still no word either way. This is the HOs first sit so I’m assuming they are overwhelmed with the process and decision-making, but it certainly would be nice if they’d at least pause it and let everyone know what the plan is. Ah well, it’s a relatively local sit (same province), and we haven’t seen anything else we’d apply for yet anyway. But I do get tired of checking it 3 times a day.

1 Like

Hi @Kelownagurl can you send a link on DM and we’ll get membership services to take a look in case the owner needs some guidance. Thank-you, Vanessa

2 Likes

@Kelownagurl as you say maybe overwhelmed but in the meantime probably alot of the applicants if they have had no reply will move on so in the end and if you are in no hurry, it will probably be a smaller field of applicants. As you say it would be good if they sent out some sort of group mesaage like the ones we see ’ thank you for your application and we are going through them now’ …as @Vanessa_A says they may need help…sit tight and good luck!

2 Likes