Homeowner wants to video chat

This exactly. If someone told me they couldn’t video chat because they couldn’t be bothered to download an app or order a $10 usb mic from Amazon…but they do want to live in my house rent free, possibly drive my car, and be trusted with my animals? mmmkay…:no_mouth:

@SabrinaLovesDogs - I understand the gist of your comment but I have to correct you - We are not living in your house rent free, we are living in your house in exchange for our time and services, in lieu of you paying us cash for caring for your house and pets - There is a huge difference between the two.

11 Likes

The rent is free for sure… that’s why “homeless” people (whatever you name them) choose to do sits… cf.last articles published.
I understand the comment made by @SabrinaLovesDogs , if a sitter refuses to pay 10€ for a microphone, you begin to wonder if (s)he is a good match…

1 Like

@Candide If you do something, or give something for free, it is only free if you get nothing in return. The THS concept is not one of one person giving another person something for nothing- it is that of an exchange.
The sitter is not caring for your home and pets for free - they are doing so in exchange for you allowing them to stay in your property.
The home host is not giving a sitter accommodation for free, they are giving that accommodation in exchange for the sitter caring for their home and pets.

If you give me a pencil and I give you 50p then I have paid you for that pencil.
If you give me a pencil and I give you a pen then we have made a fair exchange
If you give me a pencil and I give you nothing in return then you have given me the pencil for free

The same rule applies to petsitting -

If you let me live in your house and expect nothing in return then this is free.

If you let me live in your house but want something in return then it is definitely not free, it is a fair exchange

8 Likes

@Colin you know it’s a huge and permanent discussion on the forum.
I’m both an owner and a sitter, on my side i do think i get “free” holidays when i sit. The “work” implied is light ( i would never apply to look after 4 dogs, 6 cats, 4 horses + sheep) compared to the price of any airbnb rental

the thread was on video chats, sorry, i go back to it. As an owner, i just want a telephone call with potential sitters, i don’t need videos.
As a sitter, i show my dog on videos as i would love to take him with me, what i don’t manage to do, and to show owners i have a pet (sitters can look after when i go away)

Many owners did not even try to call me, what l always suggest, giving my téléphone in my first application message.
Some have asked for a video chat, i thought iit was a good thing, it meant i was pre selected, but i was wrong : i’ve been rejected twice. It’s worse than no answer …
That time i could take it personnally.

In my case it is nothing to do with the cost of the equipment but the fact that I do not feel at ease with online video conversations. I am sure there are many social situations I would feel comfortable in that others would find awkward. We are all different.
If a homeowner came across in messages or telephone conversations as though they were doing me a favour allowing me to care for their pets and home I would decline the invite.
I am not an unpaid skivvy and like to think I treat others with respect - the way I would like to be treated.

3 Likes

You’re really invested in this misdirect.

2 Likes

@SabrinaLovesDogs - My apologies but I have no idea what you mean by that?

1 Like

Hi @SabrinaLovesDogs so we don’t go too off track or become personal, would you mind maybe reverting to direct messaging to answer @Colin’s question. Many thanks.

1 Like

Like you I don’t enjoy video chat, face time or any of the other ‘face to face’ things. I simply don’t like doing it, I hate the things and avoid them like the plague. If people are not content with emails and photographs then I can only think they are paranoid or insecure! It’s all very well people saying “video chat gives comfort or a sense of knowing” etc etc; but perhaps they should consider that others don’t like doing it!!!

1 Like

I thought the idea was that you benefited from someone looking after your pets whilst you do something else!!! Sure people get to see different parts of the country, even the world but the bottom line is they are there for your pets. If they don’t like video so what! Just what do you expect to see on a video that isn’t covered by photographs on the profile?

1 Like

Hi all, could we please keep the tone of this conversation respectful of everyone’s opinion, even if you disagree with them. Thank you.

3 Likes

I’m in my late 50’s and wouldn’t do a sit without a video chat. You can tell so much more about the owners, pets and house through it. Find it more personal.

For me, the chat is as much about them seeing me and me seeing them. Do I see myself staying there?Am I compatible with the owners/pets etc.

I use WhatsApp, a free app to download. I then ask them to set up a WhatsApp group with both owners once the sit is agreed. This is then my main communication update with them whilst they are away.

I appreciate that it can make some people anxious. You could try to consider it the same as standing in from to someone… albeit with a little electronic help :wink:

3 Likes

It’s not about the money for me. It’s about their comfort with a very common technology. If video chats are technically difficult, how will they figure out a smart thermostat or TV?

6 Likes

I’m not paranoid or insecure, but would be very reluctant to confirm a sit or sitter without a video chat. My reasons are expressed in an earlier post here

Reactions, gestures, body language, etc.

As a sitter, the video chat will include a tour of the house and I will see more than still photos.

Equally, someone could think that you are paranoid or insecure by declining a video chat! Judgment could go both ways…

7 Likes

Keeping a perspective is quite important. We are talking about someone coming to look after a cat or dog! Not interviewing for a position as chief guard at Fort Knox or looking after a creche!!! I seriously think that if someone is that paranoid they could also be a little unstable. I don’t think I would want anyone to look after my pets who wants to see my ‘body language and gestures’ all after them seeing photographs, email exchanges and that this site has okayed me! Judgement, indeed can go both ways.!!!

1 Like

Hey @Ken, could you kindly soften your tone? I’m a fan of exclamation points too but in a public forum they can come off a bit aggressive. Also if you could take the personal judgements down a notch that would be grand. Calling people paranoid or unstable isn’t kind or helpful. Everyone here is entitled to do things the way that works for them without judgement and we don’t need to know or understand their reasons. Thanks.

11 Likes

I disagree with you, I dont understand why the homeowner would want to see my facial expressions and body language when they are going to be absent during my stay. I’m going to be interacting with their pets after all, not joining a social club. I’d also be concerned if it feels like they are intentionally asking me triggering questions just so they can see how I physically react.

4 Likes

The way I see it is that video call is the next best thing to meeting in person. We can glean so much from people’s body language. I feel it really helps us to get a far truer sense of the people we’ll be dealing with. I’d highly encourage you to work through your discomfort with it. Don’t get me wrong - I totally understand where you’re coming from - but I think overall it’s highly beneficial for both sitters and hosts in establishing that initial connection.

3 Likes

This topic was created to ask for advice on video calling.

Everyone will have their own way of managing sit applications and their own style and preferences for communicating with a pet parent/owner/sitters. We do recommend arranging a video call for many of the reasons mentioned in this conversation, however it is not obligatory and successful sits happen without pre sit video calls.

Members sharing their approach, even skills and top tips which may have helped them overcome the “fear” of the screen and their own experiences is incredibly helpful and could help @Meadowlark and others in deciding whether or not to try and embrace the technology or continue managing according to their own personal preference, comfort zone and currently successful methods.

Unfortunately this particular conversation has developed a tone of judgmental narrative by some contributors which is neither helpful to the original member who posted the question or others and because of this reason we are going to temporarily close this conversation to enable everyone to take 5 mins or more, some deep breathes and come back with helpful insights which will not only benefit @Meadowlark but others who may also struggle with being present for video calls because it’s not just sitters, there are many pet parents/ owners who have similar feelings.

Thanks everyone.