Homeowner wants to video chat

I wouldn’t ever invite a sitter to stay without a video call. I need to meet the person I’m planning on trusting with my home and furry family members; it’s non negotiable.

It’s totally fine to be uncomfortable with video calls (we all have our preferences and dislikes), but there are thousands of hosts just like me, who will immediately rule you out as a result of your unwillingness to engage via this method of communication.

If you can get yourself comfortable with the idea of chatting to someone face-to-face, it will only help you to secure sits.

7 Likes

If you prefer an experience with minimal communication (ie. “here are the keys, see you in 2 weeks”) then I think it’s fine to decline video chat. I’ve sat for two homeowners who told me straight-up that they don’t want updates during the sit, one of whom declined my offer to video chat before accepting my application.

If you begrudgingly video chat to get accepted by a homeowner who likes lots of communication during the sit, it might turn out to be an unpleasant experience for both you and the host.

3 Likes

I’m not sure I agree with this particular point in full. I found that, after that initial (sometimes dreaded) video call, thereafter the communication is easy, as it’s mostly short written updates, which most people have no issue with. Sending a quick note with a cute photo is easy, mostly. It’s that initial face-to-face call that many find hard! But to be fair: I have heard of the odd sit here and there where HO’s expect daily video call updates. This would definitely not suit us.

On the other hand, we’ve never had an owner tell us they didn’t want any updates, sounds luxurious :rofl:

2 Likes

As a homeowner I’d say that you don’t need to change your ways. If a sitter dais to me that they weren’t up for a video call then I would gladly change to a telephone conversation. I agree that a video conversation may be better but telephone is fine. I like video so that I can show the sitters their accommodation and give them a tour of the house. Stick to what you like is my advice.

1 Like

For my first sit, the HO only arranged to chat on the phone before confirming the sit!

For my upcoming second sit, the HO only arranged for written correspondence via the THS app before confirming the sit!

For my upcoming third sit, the HO requested a video call before confirming the sit.

I am personally fine with any option. I guess I’ve made so many video calls with people I’d never met in person before elsewhere that I’ve gotten more or less used to it. So think of it as something that may be out of your comfort zone now, but that you may get used to in the future.

I personally like to video interview. We have done one interview where we got a better look at the house and decided we were not interested, and a few others where we really connected with the people and were confident we would be picked. We did another that was just plain odd and withdrew our application. I don’t mind just a phone call but think there is alot to be gained by a face to face.

1 Like

Many people here obviously want, or need , a video call. I think it a shame that having first been contacted for a sit, probably exchanging email addresses and several emails, then having it confirmed on the site and that after, presumably looking at the HO/ sitters profile and receiving a ‘welcome pack’ the, HO or sitter, then want a video or telephone call!
If the level of trust has to be upgraded after that lot in so far as either want to see ‘body language’ or some other feature I wouldn’t want them to come and sit. Surely people are intelligent enough to ‘gauge’ another person in the interim period when contact is first made and when they are due to arrive? I have rejected sitters on the basis that I didn’t think they would be best for my animals not that they would be best for me! After all I wouldn’t be staying here would I? I would find it objectionable that someone feels they have to ‘assess’ me as being suitable by video before they come. On the subject of a house, this site strongly suggests that photographs are posted showing, at least, accommodation and bathroom facilities. My profile goes further and shows everything including the garden, dining room, kitchen; everything there is to see! If people don’t post photos of their home and accommodation then I would ask that they send some as I would want to see where I was going to ‘sit’ . That is all part of the ‘trust’ building exercise and videos just shouldn’t be necessary. Obviously people feel differently about the subject.

1 Like

I would feel more comfortable after seeing a potential sitter live on a call. Makes sense to me.

2 Likes

@Ken If a video call happens at all it should definitely be done before the sit is confirmed! If the purpose of it is to meet each other to decide if its a good match it makes no sense to it after committing!

2 Likes

My point is you, or I, are not going to be looked after by sitters! They are coming to look after the animals not babysit me!! So just what is the point of you or anyone else ‘feeling comfortable’ with someone you are possibly not even going to meet, it’s absurd. Are people looking to have a video meeting because they feel the sitter, or HO could be some sort of serial killer, rapist or criminal mastermind? If so they shouldn’t be sitting or have sitters! People are here to look after animals for heavens sake!

1 Like

I get you. Its about the animals- mainly- but also about the home. The sitter may be sleeping in your bed and will be living among your personal things. Surely both sides would like to have a good feeling about living in/having some live in their personal space? It would be different if someone is just popping in to feed the animals or walk the dogs. A housesit is a pretty personal arrangement. But it does not necessarily require a video call to determine that

3 Likes

I can only speak for myself but I cannot envisage anyone having a sitter come into their home and sleeping in the HO bed! Perhaps I’m fortunate in having accommodation for people who come to stay. As for ‘personal space’ If someone isn’t comfortable with having someone in their home then perhaps they shouldn’t have them there in the first place! A house sit is pretty personal but it is about the animals not about the people!

2 Likes

@Ken it is very personal, even if we don’t sleep in the HO’s bed! For example, our current housesit sprang some leaks after very heavy rains. The HO arranged for 2 guys to come and check out the roof. They had to climb through her closet into the roof (that’s where the access point is). So it was up to us to remove all her clothes so that they can get in there. It felt really, really uncomfortable going into someone’s closet and removing their clothes for strange men to enter through there, but hey, it’s part of the experience. Luckily we haven’t had this before.

Dare I say that it was an extremely exceptional occurrence!!! Not particularly relevant to the discussion even. Had it been a fire no doubt you would have called the Fire Brigade!! We are not talking about exceptional occurrences , just apparently, normal and everyday living.

We have done many sits where we have slept in the HO bed- its not ideal, or our preference, but is usually because the master bedroom is the only available room and/or the most comfortable they could offer. Perhaps you have a large home with multiple bedrooms to offer- but thats not always the case.
It sounds like you are not much interested in your sitters- just that they do right by your pets. That’s OK but some hosts and sitters do like to get to know each other a bit. It feels (to us at least) more personal and friendly…
But every sit arrangement is different and people have different expectations

2 Likes

Presumably the HO owners either were not there when you arrived or left almost immediately, otherwise you couldn’t sleep in their bed!! Doesn’t sound as if you have been able to ‘get to know them’ very well if they are not there when you arrive! That’s not a situation I find is acceptable. I want to be able to show the sitter everything, and in detail. Offer them a meal, even go out for a meal. Sit and have a pleasant discourse, if that sounds like I’m not interested in the sitter so be it!!! And yes , I do have a large house and can offer a sitter their complete and independent accommodation. Still though ,the bottom line is they are there to look after the animals, not become my best friend!!

Anyone who has ever experienced internet dating, or been part of an interview panel, can tell you that people can often seem fantastic in writing, but in person, they can be very different.

Speaking to someone and looking at their facial expressions and body language is (usually) a quick and easy way to connect and get a better understanding of who they are. It’s far quicker than writing, or a phone call and, for many people who struggle with written comms, it can be really helpful.

When we speak to people face to face, we see expressions, so as well as conversing, there’s non-verbal communication happening too… Does the person seem aloof? Engaged? Friendly? Are they particularly surprised by something? Do I feel that anything feels ‘off’, or is anything giving me cause for concern?
We pick up and process these tiny communications constantly - it’s a totally normal part of being human.

As pet owners and pet sitters, we’re all skilled in picking up on non-verbal comms - we do it all the time without even thinking about it; it’s how our animals tell us things!

It’s fine to not want to do this stuff, but being angry about it is a pointless endeavour.

*I am fully aware that for anyone neurodivergent the situation can be very different.

2 Likes

It’s just the age we live in I suppose I hate video chats accept for family and friends.my body language would be all over the place because I’m reserved until I get to know someone well. My friends would laugh when I say I’m reserved because I dance on a stage no problem. And I’m the first on the dance floor at nights out.but I love to chat on the phone .we are all different.

It is not “absurd” for us to want to feel comfortable with people who will be taking care of our animals, living in our houses, sleeping in our beds, etc. Presumably you also want to feel comfortable with your sitters, and just have a different process to reach that comfort level.

8 Likes