HOs.. Please Give Us Details, Not Just Box-Ticks

I’m a sitter, a mere 12 sits in… And have had nothing but good experiences via THS. But could I please make a plea to HOs: If your home is genuinely Accessible By Public Transport, or if you’re (very generously!) willing to let sitters use your car, please, please PLEASE would you mention it in your listing?! I mean, not just in the tick-boxes.
I’ve had some embarrassing experiences which were unfair to both parties, when the HO has ticked the Public Transport box, but where it’s turned out their idea of “Accessible by public transport” meant, there’s a bus stop two miles away, where buses stop twice a week… Likewise, I’ve seen listings where the “Sitters Can Use Your Car” box has been checked - but the HOs have been surprised and uncomfortable when I asked about it.
I’ve bleated about this before, but I’ve run up against the problem twice since, so I’m being drearily repetitive. In general, in fact… Please, HOs, don’t assume that checking ANY of the boxes is enough… If there’s anything we might reasonably need to know, please spell it out in your blurb. Thankyou!

1 Like

At least in the U.S., where driving is often a necessity, because public transit sucks, many people don’t actually know the specifics of public transit near them. Some hosts might just take guesses when producing their listing.

And with the loaning of cars, I’ve found that a number of hosts intentionally don’t list it even if they’re open to it, because they probably want to decide during video chats whether to make the offer. I say that, because I’ve been on multiple sits when the host volunteered their car later, not in the listing.

2 Likes

Oh i I am so with you on this one. One of my things is a TV im a homebody type and I notice the west coast along with Alaska many ppl don’t have a TV. I mean i dont have to be glued to one, but i like the morning news, and later at nite movies sitting with the fur kids. I understand Ho’s don’t always know what to check in the boxes, but if its not a box for something you could add please put it in with your parts where you can add it.

I just have to add…I’m on the West Coast of the US and there’s just two of us and we have 5 tv’s. lol……all working tv’s too. We have 2 workout rooms so there’s in each room, one in our bedroom, one in the living/family room and one outside on the patio. :grinning::grinning::joy::joy::crazy_face:

Wow that’s alot, I like tvs in bedroom too.