House swapping on THS?

Thanks @TheMapleKiwi do you have the listing link?

1 Like

I have seen this one too. I have never seen this listing before, so definitely a new one. I thought THS vetted all new listings?

2 Likes

Every new listing goes through an approval process and owners can edit the listing once it’s approved. Existing listing with new dates will come directly to the site. When there are a number to clear it’s always possible that something gets missed. We do have a significantly smaller MS team since COVID …

do you have the link?

Hi @Angela_L
Here is the link but it is the same as @TheMapleKiwi link so hope that you can find it

1 Like

I did find it and flagged it to MS … Thank you!

Angela: There is another one in Asheville, NC that is specifically only looking for houseswaps. House sit for Bruce in Asheville, NC, US | TrustedHousesitters.com

@Southernsitter @Angela_L
I have looked at this listing, it is confusing but is definitely leaning towards house swaps rather than sittings.

Yes. He specifically states that if you sign up without an exchange, it will be deleted.

@southernsitter @Reubendog Thanks for flagging… - will make sure membership services take a look at this one too.

1 Like

Hi,

This one discusses home swapping

1 Like

Thank you @TheMapleKiwi passed over to the Membership Services Team …

HI Provence perhaps @Katie_Mc can respond regarding house swaps in listings. Thank you Katie

We have no animals but do own an apartment now. It’s in a south coast seaside town with not much for foreign visitors to see or do. We love it because we are sailors and it has all the facilities we want and need.
I think swapping would be a great idea but we do rent out our home for extortionate amounts of money during the summer so it would have to be in the cooler months and no one really wants to go to the seaside or visit New Forest or Dorset then. So, I think we will just keep on looking after pets in other people’s houses unless someone who lives in Bali or Caribbean wants a change of scenery …

1 Like

Hi Provence.

While our combined members like yourself have the option to have another combined member stay in your home and you can stay in theirs. Not all of our members have that ability, by only asking for members who can do a house swap you are restricting the number of applicants that can apply and excluding a large number of sitters who may be perfect to look after your home and pets.

TrustedHousesitters is not a house swapping site, and while we did discuss if this is an option we could branch out into we felt it did not align with our ethos and would be unfair to our sitters who could not provide a home they can swap.

You can mention that you are open to having a combined member swap so that you stay in theirs and they stay in yours, however, we do not allow owners to only ask for swaps as this will affect the number of applicants and their success on the site.

I hope that helps.

4 Likes

Hi @Provence there is an ongoing discussion on the subject by the product team, and if there are any significant updates members will be included in the comms.

Thank you

I think it’s a great idea to offer house swapping. Not everyone is going to want to swap houses, so I don’t think it’s unfair to sitters who don’t have it to offer. I have a house, but if I am going to visit friends or family, or on a retreat or tour, I would not be looking to swap, just looking for a sitter. On the other hand, it would be nice to use this site for swapping too as most people would be open to either taking our pets to each others, or taking care of each others pets, which could be helpful. Besides, this site is way better than any of those house swap sites I’ve looked at.

3 Likes

Hi @pansregnig welcome to our Community Forum and thank you for sharing your very interesting House Swapping perspective, it is something we are discussing and looking into. Thank you also for your comment, it’s always good to know we are giving members and visitors to our site a great experience.

Thank you for joining in the conversation and enjoy connecting with members from around the world we look forward to seeing you as a regular contributor on the forum.

Angela and the Team

Hey from sunny Santa Fe, New Mexico where people like to visit from many places on the planet. I LOVE living in this town also known as The City Different in the state also known as The Land of Enchantment, all for good reasons!

I will soon be moving into a 2 bedroom casita in the charming, historic, and safe South Capital area. I am open to home exchanges that involve mutual pet care in other parts of the USA and the world. (I have one cat named George who spends half his time with his human papa a few miles from me, so it could be that there would be no cat to care for here.)

Please reach out if you also have a nice home in an interesting part of the world. Perhaps we could do a week exchange sometime!

Mary

2 Likes

Like a lot of people, I can work remotely now, and I would love to swap with another pet owner for a few weeks at a time to experience living in a new place.

2 Likes