How do you choose a Sit?

Hi @Jane that’s a good point. We’ve always preferred to have our own transport at hand for any emergencies, luckily we’ve never had one. Even more important to us because many of our pet sits have been rural locations.

2 Likes

We have had the use of a car for a regular sit in France but it means getting to grips with a left-hand drive. It takes me two weeks to stop trying to change gear with the door handle! And I get super-twitchy about damaging the vehicle. I’d rather have our own car or be in a city or within easy reach of a vet.

3 Likes

Smile, we like to keep our options open and love to travel and explore.

2 Likes

I can understand that. We used to flit between Spain and the UK and I spent most of my time when driving saying “What side of the road am I meant to be on” :joy::joy:

4 Likes

We are location first! We love the countryside, lots of space and lots of animals. So we look for areas of the country we want to sit in and go from there then looking at the accommodation and pets. We love looking after a variety of animals, especially horses (for me) and farm animals (for Steve)! There is more work involved but we love it! I have to say though the bed situation is also a big thing, doubles are impossible to sleep in!

3 Likes

@PetsSit We’re the opposite, generally preferring sits that don’t need a car (urban) and have a couple of pets. That just goes to show you that there are sits for everyone! :wink:

Best of luck finding your next great house sit! We hope there are plenty of horses and farm animals for both of you! :cow: :sheep:: :pig: :horse: :goat:

5 Likes

Yes we agree, the site is so good because there are such a variety of sits, something for everyone! Next up we have 30 sheep and chickens so wellies at the ready and we cant wait!

3 Likes

@PetsSit How do you get wellies in your backpacks?

1 Like

No backpacks for us, I fill the car to Steve’s annoyance! Wellies, walking boots, trainers, shoes. Plus my riding kit and that’s on top of clothes, hair products (enough to sink a ship) and laptops, books… whatever space I have I fill!

6 Likes

@PetsSit Car?

1 Like

I loved reading that​:laughing: yep, car space is there to fill, much to my hubby’s annoyance too :grinning:

2 Likes

You’re so posh having a car and everything.

3 Likes

We look for dates, location, pets (cats, not dogs) and the quality/quantity of information plus photos.
We do petsits to break the journey from Tasmania to Queensland (2000 km) and back, or if our home is booked for a home exchange, or if the Qld unit has been booked by holiday renters.
We’ve had some great petsits along the way, usually close to the coast.

3 Likes

Hi and welcome to our community forum @CatStaff we are so glad you joined. Enjoy the conversation, connections and we look forward to sharing in your pet and housesitting lifestyle in Australia …

We moved back to Oz in late 2019 & our criteria changed: Local-ish sits as wanted to see more of the Hunter/Forster/Port Macquarie/Coffs areas as super close by.

Shorter sits due to husb work.

What’s not changed is our approach to house size etc as doesn’t matter. Cleanliness of a home & any feedback on it from previous sitters will keep us from applying.

We’ve been regulars for a great couple & thier big pups this year as once the furry folk know you, they’re gentle giants :slightly_smiling_face:.

3 Likes

Hi @anon36831737 great to ‘meet’ you and welcome to the Forum.
You’ve had some amazing travels.
We loved Singapore, visited a couple of years ago, would easily be able to live there, actually not, very expensive for us us😀
Then we went on to Malaysia, KL, so vastly different aren’t they? It made Singapore then feel too sterile, I loved the colourful culture of KL.

2 Likes

Hi @CatStaff
That sounds a wonderful travel /house sit plan. great to ‘meet’ you.

2 Likes

You’re always making me laugh :joy:

2 Likes

Dates, location, and I have to look at the photos of the pets and feel that I would really like/love them. (Usually I do feel that.) Also, if I am confident I could definitely cope - that there aren’t more pets than I feel I can cope with, or animals I have no experience caring for. I also look at pictures of the home, to see if I would feel comfortable there. Once I turned a sit down because the owner said one of the cats tends to disappear for days. I felt that would cause me too much worry.

4 Likes

Just made a large carrot cake for after noon tea
Also an upside side down chocolate cake with carmilzed pears.
Only cost 4 pounds for it all.

2 Likes