How do you choose a Sit?

Hello @catstaff welcome. When we began to exchange infos on this forum posts were often short and i felt guilty to write long posts and to tell personal stories. Now that we are more on this forum, i’m pleased to notice the “new” members share more experiences, give tips, i love it.

2 Likes

Hi @Petermac great to ‘meet’ you and welcome to the Forum.
You’ve had some amazing travels.
We loved Singapore, visited a couple of years ago, would easily be able to live there, actually not, very expensive for us us😀
Then we went on to Malaysia, KL, so vastly different aren’t they? It made Singapore then feel too sterile, I loved the colourful culture of KL.

2 Likes

Hi @CatStaff
That sounds a wonderful travel /house sit plan. great to ‘meet’ you.

2 Likes

You’re always making me laugh :joy:

2 Likes

Dates, location, and I have to look at the photos of the pets and feel that I would really like/love them. (Usually I do feel that.) Also, if I am confident I could definitely cope - that there aren’t more pets than I feel I can cope with, or animals I have no experience caring for. I also look at pictures of the home, to see if I would feel comfortable there. Once I turned a sit down because the owner said one of the cats tends to disappear for days. I felt that would cause me too much worry.

4 Likes

Just made a large carrot cake for after noon tea
Also an upside side down chocolate cake with carmilzed pears.
Only cost 4 pounds for it all.

2 Likes

First off it’s the animals for me. It just takes that one cute little face. 2nd it’s the location as I love exploring different areas. I’ve done quite a few country settings now I’m concentrating on seaside locations which there very few.
Duration is important too. I prefer a week as apposed to longer sits. I was once stuck for 10 days in a house with no soul in a very boring location nothing around but trees and fields.
Luckily the dog was adorable.

1 Like

We search by rough dates and country first and foremost, then we look for small village or hamlet within walking distance of shops/pub/restaurant if possible. Second choice is up to 15 min drive to shops. We are happy to sit any pets/animals although we try to avoid horses (so far). To date, we’ve happily looked after cats, dogs, rabbits, chickens, ducks, and sheep. Photos of where we will spend most of our time are definitely the final decision maker. Also, we almost always have a rental car because we like to tour a bit between sits.

1 Like

Thank you Crazydoglady your comment has really underlined the need for good pre-sit communication and making sure the choice of sit and sitter is right for everyone involved before the arrangement is confirmed.

A successful pet and housesitting experience is about everything being the right fit, for pets, owner and sitter. While an owner’s listing and information attracts a member to apply and will give enough information for a sitter to decide IF it would potentially be a good fit for their experience and preferences on location, type of sit etc., it really is only the first step. If you are invited to discuss the opportunity further this is when the communication begins and the process of dotting the I’s & crossing the T’s, it’s too late after the arrangement has been confirmed.

One of the reasons we advise new sitters to start short and local is to test drive the lifestyle, international sits, even exotic locations are alluring however it could also be your “Crazydoglady” moment and remember it’s too late once you are there.

1 Like

We started house-sitting when we gave up work to travel long haul.
House-sitting is our R&R then.
We have since spent the last few summers in the UK so we can catch up with friends and family, and house-sitting is the perfect thing, some new, some old.
We prefer a sit about 3 weeks in length, gives you and the animals time to get to know each other. We think everywhere has something of interest for that length of time

2 Likes

Usually location and dates. There are very very few animals I don’t like. Unless THeyre vicious and I need to be actively afraid of them lol but I have yet to encounter that. I’ve had one cat that wouldn’t even let me pet her the whole sit and still loved her

2 Likes

We are new to THS but have begun by looking for dates, locations and then for us to start, 4 or fewer animals until we get the hang of this type of travel and pet care opportunity. It’s a fascinating program we are happy to be part of now.

4 Likes

I love to browse and dream. This technique has been the beginning of many of our adventures.
Just now it’s pretty boring, UK only because of the restrictions but I have messaged a couple of advertised sits to say we can’t do their dates but we would be very interested next year. Cheeky, I know but it does sometimes work.
In normal times we usually find one sit of about a month then plan round that. In the winter we crave the sun, in summer rural solitude with the occasional city for a few days. Next year……British Columbia……we hope.

2 Likes