How do you feel about giving medication/injections

Hello, I agree with all of the other replies to your question but one additional thought, you can video yourself and the routine you have with your pet and make that available to your sitter for reference. Mention this in your listing and/or during any conversations to put future sitters at ease. Best of luck to you! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Another idea for future reference. I was invited by a HO to care for her dog and diabetic cat that needs injections. I was unable to do the sit but she was so nice in her correspondence I said I’d consider it in the future. Again, she approached me but I was unable to do any of her posted dates. When I told her I was only available during the last two weeks of February, she changed the dates of her trip and I accepted the sit!

I’m suggesting you may want to establish contact with a sitter you like, especially someone who may have favorited your listing (although I had not favorited that HO’s listing), and see if you can coordinate your travel with their availability.

I had zero experience administrating pet meds, not to mention giving an injection, prior to joining THS.

That has changed a bit since then. I am still not experienced but I do know what is manageable/comfortable and what should be left to professionals.

Meds hidden in food or spread on paws can be easily managed by anybody even the most inexperienced sitters.

Meds given with a syringe require a bit of getting used to, not all sitters will feel comfortable doing that especially when pets don´t like it.

Injecting medication, although doable, is a very different ball game and requires sitters who have experience doing that.

Do not ever ask a sitter with no experience to administer injections as it can lead to very negative consequences not only for your pet but also sitter.

On a 3-week-long sit I, a person who had never even held a syringe in my hand, was asked to inject elderly cat fluids - not once or twice but every second day. To this day I am not quite over the trauma. It wasn´t even the injection itself but the 10 agonizing minutes it took to administer it followed by the never-ending anxiety while waiting for the next injection to be administered

1 Like

Hi @Elaine_Treacle.

I see you followed many/all of @Lassie’s feedback. And you have 1 applicant? That’s a start!

I like @uemailus’ idea. You could even put a link to that video in your listing. I think if you do that, you can let us all know and people will have even more feedback. Without seeing how it’s done, I might wonder if you want to aim for a couple vs a solo sitter, so one can hold the cat. Also, if I personally were to try your sit, I’d want to come the night before and practice it myself with you watching, since I learn by doing. So the video would be the tutorial.

Your first photo is fuzzy. Can you take one that is in focus?

I’m not too familiar with the UK and public transit. I could use a little more clarity on how a sitter without a car could 1) get to your home for the sit handover and 2) go back and forth into town. Like, “If you don’t have a car, you can easily get to my home from London by taking the train to X, then the bus to Y. Once at my home, it’s a Z-minute walk (or Z-km walk?) to the bus stop back into town.”

It is hard to know why, but perhaps reassurance (if its the case) that your cat is used to it and you will walk through the easy process at the handover time may ease apprehension of potential sitters. And reassurance, if the case is true, that the cat is warm with strangers. There can be a difference between cat mom giving a pill or injection versus a shy or nervous cat allowing a stranger to do so.

2 Likes

Hi all, I’ve been asking on the site for people to house-sit for me.
I’m having trouble though as my little dog Bell needs an insulin jab twice a day she’s very docile and sits very still when it’s time for her jab. Are sitters happy to do this or any advice to help find someone.

Thanks
Hayley

Edited to meet posting guidelines

1 Like

You’ll see lots of sitters above who (like me) have experience with giving meds, including insulin.

If you add a link to your listing to your forum profile, people can suggest how to improve your listing.

I have given oral/topical medications to several types of animals. I’ve never given injections, but I would be willing to be shown how to, provided it wasn’t going to be too risky to the animal. The idea of videoing the process is great.
I think there are a lot of people on this site who are experienced and comfortable with that kind of care.

2 Likes

Hi @HayB1982 ! Welcome to THS and the forum!

There are many sitters experienced administering injections. I am one.

As @Lassie suggests, if you add your profile to your forum profile, forum members will give you feedback that will help you connect with the right sitter. Here are the instructions for doing that: How to add your listing or profile to your forum profile

Here is another topic where insulin injections are discussed.

https://forum.trustedhousesitters.com/t/cat-with-diabetes

With a good listing, I don’t think you’ll have a problem finding a good sitter.

1 Like

@HayB1982 your THS listing link has been added for you as per our DM. Other community members can now view your listing and off helpful feedback and tips! :grin: