Seeking Cat Sitter for Diabetic cat

For the first time since joining TH 7 years ago, I’m seeking a sitter with experience giving insulin injections to a cat. Our 14-year-old girl is now diabetic and on twice daily insulin. Yesterday I posted an 18-day sit in June in coastal New Hampshire specifying that I’d like a sitter with experience giving insulin. While It’s a cinch to give an injection, I’d feel better with someone who is experienced doing this. My other concern, of course, is getting someone who will faithfully adhere to the 12-hour injection schedule.

I’m writing to ask if other diabetic cat owners have had success finding sitters and if you have any tips to share.

There will be plenty of sitters experienced in giving insulin, and many more that will be happy to be shown how to do it .

As long as the 12 hour intervals are sensible times (eg 8am/8pm and not 3am/3pm ) then I am sure you will have no problems getting applications

5 Likes

There are many sitters (like me) who love cats and have experience with diabetic cats and giving injections. New Hampshire is beautiful and your sit looks great. I’m sure you will find a sitter who will take great care of Daphne. If I wasn’t planning to be in Europe for the summer, I would apply.

3 Likes

I am sure that you will find a sitter able to give injections, or willing to learn. I’ve done this a lot, and I bet that lots of other sitters also have experience. Once someone doesn’t have a phobia about needles, and is diligent about timing and dosage, it isn’t difficult.

4 Likes

I have an upcoming sit with a diabetic cat in which the owner asked for such experience and got a few applications. I actually don’t have experience giving insulin injections. However, one of my cats has malabsoption issues and I give him monthly B6 injections with the same type of needle, and I have previous experience with subcu fluids so another kind of needle. As others have said, you might find an experienced responsible catsitter who hasn’t done this exact thing but is reliable and comfortable enough to do it. Some of this of course depends on your cat. If your cat is liable to hide from anyone who is not you and waving around a needle, then that needs an experienced sitter period who is good at giving cats medications and winning their trust.

It’s a special skill, but there are people, and if you make the listing itself attractive, they will find you.

3 Likes

I’ve confirmed a sit with a diabetic cat that needs injections and I haven’t done it before. I’m eager to learn that skill and the HO is willing to teach me. In most of my applications I say that I am good at giving medications, if needed. You might look for that kind of statement in applications as an indication that the sitter would be willing to inject.

3 Likes

Thank you so much for your encouraging reply.

This is encouraging to read. Thank you for weighing in.

I’ve never given an injection to a diabetic cat or dog. I do have diabetic family members and know that injecting a person is very simple. As a result I would definitely be prepared to learn to inject an animal.

2 Likes