How is the lockdown going to affect UK sitters?

With last nights news of a second national lockdown, how are other housesitters coping with organised sits being cancelled?

Our next two sits booked through to mid-December have cancelled due to the owners overseas trips now being off which leaves us a bit stuck as we don’t own a home and have nowhere to go. Hotels look as if they will be for workers only so it could be extremely tough. May need to find a friends floor to sleep on for a few weeks but even that is difficult as it’s effectively not allowed.

I’ve pm’d you via Facebook…

2 Likes

@Jon-JWalking I felt the need to respond, hitting the “like” heart seemed inappropriate.

This latest lock down will present problems for many but especially full time sitters without a base, we are in that category but fortunately have a solution, thanks to our daughter’s Airbnb.

We will of course try and do all we can to help support our community.

3 Likes

Yes, I didn’t feel it appropriate to ‘like’ their statement either.

2 Likes

I may sound tough but the second lockdown is not a surprise. In France we had been warned a second wave will happen in the fall… All Europe folllows…
I guess having no homes makes the situation hard. But can i ask a question ? Sitters who have no home imagine how the future ? When they get older, if owners dislike 70years old sitters, or older, if they fear you fall ill ?
Sitters think to give up sitting when ? You can’t do that, until you die, can you ?

1 Like

It will no doubt be tough again for people. We went into lockdown in France last week and 3 consecutive sits we had booked had to be cancelled. One for a lady having an operation and she’s been waiting ages. Travel restrictions make it impossible for us to do the two split sits and stay somewhere for the 5 days in-between. If anyone is close to Poitiers do let us know so we can put you in touch.

In response to @Provence we have no home, but have the financial resources to buy one again if necessary in future. We are avoiding property ownership again in such uncertain times and have instead invested in a campervan which has helped us remain flexible … but nothing really works except being in a property during lockdowns. We are fortunate we have a 2nd home to stay in… we keep it safe for the owners through the winter months as they aren’t able to get to it themselves. We’ve always believed that you shouldn’t become full-time house sitters if you aren’t financially independent and if you don’t have plan b, plan c etc., for reasons just like this pandemic occuring. You never know what’s around the corner. @Angela-CommunityManager is living proof that age is immaterial :slight_smile: … health is another issue though.

2 Likes

We are exactly the same, no home but hopefully investment to help in the future but no concrete plans. We don’t have a long term plan and never wanted one. What we love about our lifestyle is the uncertainty and the lack of structure. The future is completely blank which is just the way we like it.
@vanessaanderson Nowhere to safely sit out the winter though, that’s a real bonus in these difficult times isn’t it?

1 Like

If you have a van which allows you to reach remote sits, if you need help, we can welcome you. Not for months but you can park your van in our garden. Use kitchen, bath etc.
We are in Provence, which is not close to Poitiers. You can send me a message via THS Web site. How are you liste on THS, which town, what name ?
Problèm is you need to show police on the road why you are driving, from where and to go where… We’re allowed to move for à few reasons in a limit. Otherwise you may be FINED. 130€
Angela may give you my cell phone. I don’t give it publi on this forum but she k’ows it. I can send it to you via THS mail

2 Likes

We are the same. We love the lack of certainty and the freedom our lifestyle allows us. Keeps us stimulated and young and open in our outlook (we think anyway!!). It is a bonus to have a lockdown property though. Gives us space to work and earn some money teaching until things ease up again. Stay safe and happy in your world!!

2 Likes

Thankyou @Provence. Unfortunately it is the sit in Poitiers that we’ve had to cancel, so I was hoping other sitters might be close by to help this lady.

We used the “tolerance” and the “declaration of l’honneur” (!) that permitted us to get to our final lockdown destination in Burgundy. They allowed people to travel back home with this who were on vacation due to the Toussaint break. We are looking after a 2nd home here through winter for home owners unable to get here.

We have all our online attestations to the ready for venturing out shopping and for exercise - it’s quite a procedure isn’t it. Thank you so much for your offer - it is really appreciated… but we should be fine now until lockdowns are lifted. Stay safe in your area.

1 Like

Just in case you’ll need help, my offer is open weeks ahead. We have à guest room. You may see the ground floor of our house (that i may share with you, my husband lives upstairs…) on www.provence-home.fr
Hope you’ll be OK in Bourgogne

2 Likes

Thank you! Hopefully we will get to meet one day. We’d like to head further south once lockdown is over and I love Provence (doesn’t everyone !!) x

1 Like

Yes @Provence it was on the cards that there would likely be another Lockdown in the UK during the winter.

I’ll certainly bear you in mind @Provence when we can finally travel freely as I’d like to housesit and explore France and other parts of Europe. Despite the fact you’re on our doorstep I really don’t know France very well at all! Thought I’d leave it to my dotage and go further afield meanwhile but think I’m changing my mind (although I have done lots of travelling ‘further afield’!)

Waouh Smiley I thought I spoke quite well english but I’m not sure to understand what you mean with “at your doorstep” (are you living close by ?)
I’ve improved my vocabulary with my “dotage” ? “further afield” which pushed me to open a dictionnary…
I would be glad to choose you as sitters (if you speak enough french) but why members on this forum are hiding themselves and don’t use the names we use on THS ?? Me included but I give the link of my owner’s profile which is more interesting I guess for the majority of members than my sitter’s profile !!

1 Like

By ‘on our doorstep’ I just mean that France is near the UK. I didn’t mean I would necessarily be your housesitter (I speak better Spanish than French but could improve) but that I could maybe rent your room that you mentioned earlier in between housesits.

1 Like

Smiley, i don’t rent the guest room. We exchange homes often with foreigners Or we welcome sitters if we rent abroad or sit ourselves. I may help a sitter blocked in my country because of Covid and invite him/her to stay on between 2 sits if it does not last for weeks… But we don’t rent a room whilst we live at home We might think of renting a full floor one day. It never happened so far.

Ok @Provence I think it’s going to be at least another year before we’ll be travelling normally again

1 Like

It is a real benefit having somewhere to head to during lockdown and hunker down. The whole housesittyand travelling world is so unsettled now though isn’t it?

2 Likes

Another year ? I do hope not. We are used to travel a lot, 4times a year minimum. Who knows in what shape we’ll be in 10years time ?
So i feel Covid shortens my life. It sounds very selfish. We are in a home, with a garden, it could be much worse
All sitters without a private home must face other worries. It must be hard to feel dependent on opportunities.

2 Likes