How much does food play a part of your travels?

A warm welcome to the forum @MrunalMehta and thank-you for contributing to the conversation. I am totally the same… new foods, new tastes and new cooking experiences are a key part of my house sitting and travel experiences. Please enjoy making connections here in the community and we look forward to seeing you around :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Heading up to the Atlantic Provinces of Canada soon. One word lobster……

A couple of years ago when we lived on Ruby we used to stop at a likely fishing boat and banter with the fishermen for fresh fish and seafood. Maine lobster was our favourite. Straight from the kreel to our pail, $5 each.
In Bocas del Toras we (almost ) lived on fresh tuna, mahi mahi and swordfish. Funnily enough it’s almost impossible to get fresh fish in Panama City.

Yes, food is an important element in our travelling adventure.

5 Likes

We lived in Halifax Nova Scotia @ElsieDownie and Friday was company lobster bake day … when in season.

3 Likes

Thanks, @ElsieDownie . I always wondered what those cages were called!

2 Likes

Yes, seafood when by the coast is also a must for me. Sadly my husband and sons aren’t great fish eaters so I mainly have to indulge when eating out. I’ve also enjoyed lobster in Canada. We used to stay in Montreal regularly and there was a great fish restaurant just down the street. My French is good, but the menu was a bit of a challenge of my knowledge of all the different fish names when translating for my friends!

2 Likes

@Vanessa_A Thank You!

How wonderful! Enjoy!

Yeah, food is a huge part of our travels, whether pet sitting or not. We always want to try the local/regional delights, and I also often want to understand how to make them myself. And we also try to enjoy things that can only be found in top shelf form in a given place/country (e.g. Europe really doesn’t do donuts well for the most part, so there’s always lots of donuts if we are in America).

2 Likes

Ok had to resuscitate this topic today. I am 10 days from my hosts return from two months in Uruguay and the house keepers here and I really look forward to our chats and coffee. Today they brought me Gorditas as well as a packet of healing herbs from Mexico.
I have been to Mexico several times and lived in several Mexican communities in California and Arizona but this was a treat I had never heard of or sampled.
The explained to me that they are made in big outdoor clay ovens. They look like oversized English crumpets that have mated with coconut pancakes :laughing:
Lightly sweetened and soft.
yum yum

Found this recipe online that seems to be the closest to the ones I have but I see they can be made in a variety of ways.

What are you savoring where you are?

5 Likes

So Korea farmer’s markets. I really can’t say I tried.

5 Likes

Couldn’t resist @Amparo…not food at this moment, but savoring all the hugs and kisses from my favorite 5 year old :heart::heart::heart: In Boston

6 Likes

Sounds delicious @Joanne

1 Like

I can be a sitter.

In Lancashire, north Pennines UK right now so black pudding,excellent bacon and dandelion and burdock cordial ( not everyone’s taste I’m sure!)

1 Like

Hi @Gillyflower thank you for whetting our appetite for Dandelion & Burdock …

Dandelion & burdock Cola! A delicious medieval drink still popular today. Originally more of a root beer the dandelion & burdock drink ultimately transformed over time into the Cola drink we know today. In this video we learn how to forage & harvest both dandelion & burdock plus we learn their nutritional & medicinal values too. Then we head home & learn how to make dandelion & burdock Cola!

3 Likes

Had to look to see where to drop this off and well tag you’re it!

At the local grocery in Montevideo, Uruguay
PS the platter is about a meter across.

5 Likes

My mouth is watering @Amparo :yum: that is one of my favorite dishes! Wish I was there!

3 Likes

Totally possible. We are here all year :laughing:
Just turn right when you get to the edge

Ditto :wink:

2 Likes

Meet up: Montevideo Uruguay 2023-2024 :sparkles::raised_hands::kissing_heart:

3 Likes