How much does food play a part of your travels?

Is that a Uraguan (is that correct spelling :thinking:?) Paella :shallow_pan_of_food: ? Looks delish!!

1 Like

Yes! It is Uruguayan. Need to write about the history of the people here, they are of European descent! Mostly Italian and Spanish immigrants. Very European, Mediterranean here :smiley:
And yes Paella!

3 Likes

@Amparo I meant to check that when I got up and change as it was very obviously not right… but promptly forgot :smile: Thank you!! Love paella… used to make it when I lived in Spain in a big outdoor pan over a fire… love my rustic living - back to that now again and in my happy place!

5 Likes

THAT is living a life that is rich in lessons and soul food!
Beautiful in every way. Love this pic. :pray:
I’m working my way back to that.
Wonderful happy simple life.

3 Likes

Attention foodies!
Found this great site I have been gathering some great recipes from. It’s a catch all where chefs submit their favs so something for everyone.
Bon appétit
Mangia
Buen provecho
And so and so in. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

@Amparo the quiche looks so yummy! I have never actually made a quiche before so definitely worth a try I think. :yum::slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Quiches are so simple and delicious as you can pretty much create your own as you like.
Love simple on dish or pot meals.
Have fun

1 Like

Will do and thank you @Amparo …. Yesterday hubby made a chilli which was fab! :yum::slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Took a long walk today along the waterfront and enjoy a peaceful happy time. Took plenty back home for the evening meal and coffee.
If you’re ever in Punta del Este this restaurant is delightful and very reasonably priced.

8 Likes

I now live on the U.S. East Coast and have lived in a bunch of cities across the country. Never have had trouble getting hold of all sorts of artisan cheeses. I’ve never bought cheese at a deli in my 50+ years as an American. I just go to the supermarket.

The U.S. is a big country, with lots of variety. Among my criteria for where we live: Must be near a major airport and have a variety of great food easily accessible. We now live by protected woods and farmland, for instance, and can buy fresh, organic meat, eggs, dairy products, etc., from farmers and ranchers, as well as get bougey city deliveries.

Lol, I told my husband we’d made it when I could buy whatever cheeses I like without checking prices first. I especially like stinky ones. Right now, we have six or seven types of artisan cheeses in our fridge — quickly delivered by DoorDash or Instacart. Just hop on an app and tap, tap, tap and all varieties of cheese and other treats show up. I order while sitting as well. They’ll even deliver to hotels.

Life is good!

Love eating my way around the world, whether during sits, on other travels or at home.

I don’t cook one lick, happily. I eat out or order in everywhere, including during sits. DoorDash and other delivery services have worked well wherever I’ve sat.

I’ll be making a return trip to the Texas Barbecue Trail when I take time off after a sit this fall. It’s been a while since my last trip there.

Hi @Maggie8K i’m not sure if you have ever tried it but Stinking Bishop is a fabulous cheese :yum:

Stinking Bishop is an award-winning artisanal cheese. Among these accolades is “smelliest cheese in Britain.”

https://www.atlasobscura.com/foods/stinking-bishop-cheese

1 Like

I think I learned about SB from “Wallace and Gromit,” though that’s fuzzy. Separately, my husband and I are nostalgic about W&G, because we first saw and fell in love with them during a film festival in San Francisco about three decades ago, during early years when we dated. We were either both in college or he’d recently finished.

1 Like

@Maggie8K ahh yes that’s possible! :sweat_smile: … I love Wallace & Gromit :dog:

1 Like

@Maggie8K look what I just found! :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Yum! I think I’ll go downstairs and have some cheese right now!

Happily, I’m soon going to the U.K. for sits!

@Maggie8K Sounds like a great plan! :+1:t2::slightly_smiling_face:

Whereabouts in the UK will you be?

London and Stratford-upon-Avon for sits. I have a week between them and I’ll decide what to do. Maybe head to other parts of the U.K. or maybe head to Europe. I like to wing things.

Culinary exploration is a vital aspect of immersing oneself in different cultures and traditions. Trying local dishes and flavors provides insights into a destination’s history and lifestyle. Food can also foster connections with locals, leading to meaningful interactions. Some travelers prioritize food experiences, seeking renowned restaurants, street food, or regional delicacies. Food-focused activities like food tours and cooking classes have become popular for more authentic experiences. Dietary preferences or restrictions may also influence travel decisions. Overall, food enhances travel by offering a sensory adventure and creating lasting memories of the places visited.

1 Like

Amén to that!
I love tasting and trying local cuisine, traditional homemade dishes and the response from the locals (code for new friends) is always fun.

5 Likes