If You Happen To Be In Scotland Tonight Look Out For The Northern Lights

The Northern Lights will be visible in parts of Scotland over the next couple of nights and comes amid an active period on the surface of the sun. These “solar maximums” happen every 11 years or so and make auroras much more likely. @Angela_L I thought of you! :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Visiting where I can view the Northern Lights is at the top of my Bucket List. This amazing wonder has had me curious for so long and I hope to fulfil this bucket list dream within the next two years!

3 Likes

@Debbie-L When you do, be sure to download the Aurora apps to give you the best chance of seeing them using the Kp index
You will love seeing them, they are just WOW! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hi @Samox24 @Debbie-L … just looked out and up, unfortunately it’s too cloudy, we’ve had rain all day :cloud_with_rain:

1 Like

@Angela_L @Debbie-L
Oh no that’s a shame! :cloud_with_rain::slightly_frowning_face:

Parts of the UK are “likely” to be treated to a spectacular light show this evening - unless cloud cover spoils the event.

There is a “good chance” the Northern Lights will be on display in parts of Scotland and Northern Ireland this weekend and may even treat parts of northern England and Wales, the Met Office has said.

The forecaster suggests the phenomenon, also known as the Aurora Borealis, is most likely to be on show on Saturday night into Sunday.

Photo on Sky News

2 Likes

I’m heading to Fairbanks AK around Christmas to see them. Can’t wait.

We’re on a sit in the outer Hebrides at the moment, but unfortunately never saw them, just a very, very starry night. Fingers crossed we see them before we go home.

2 Likes

@anon42826925 how exciting! :blush:

1 Like

@Chrissie fingers crossed :crossed_fingers:t2::slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I had a HO cancel a sit due to illness. I was left with a non refundable airfare. So I traveled anyway and ended up with a boyfriend in Fairbanks. Terribly inconvenient. He’s been to visit me a couple of times and it’s time for me to brave the coldest city in the US.

2 Likes

@anon42826925 Sometimes these things happen for the best :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

We live more than 4000 miles apart. But he’s already been here once and is coming again next week. I’m headed that way in January.